AHC: New Canadian flag

It's 1965, & debate is underway to replace the Red Duster.

Your mission: come up with something less boring than the Maple Leaf.;)

(My personal choice, the beaver kicking Uncle Sam's ass, is an obvious fail.:p)

Respect for national colors, & for the Quebec & Native influences, is mandatory.

Filler............

canflag.jpg

Your mission: come up with something less boring than the Maple Leaf.;)

It's laconic and beautiful. :p

The only thing I would have changed is make the seas of red on both sides of the leaf narrower, with more white space in the middle.

Replace the maple leaf with a polar bear.... or at least a moose. No, that's not a joke. A bull moose would make for a far more impressive symbol than a leaf.

I've always been partial to the Pearson Pennant:

500px-Canada_Pearson_Pennant_1964.svg.png

Not having any blue element on our flag is a pretty gross oversight, "official colours" be damned. There ought to be an acknowledgment of Quebec somehow, since it's undeniable that they've maintained a distinct identity, yet one that should still be confirmed as Canadian.

I'll be the first to admit, though, that the OTL flag is superior aesthetically. The single maple leaf is an iconic symbol, and the three leaves of the Pennant overcomplicate the design. That said, I feel like the Pennant needs the triple leaf design, since the OTL flag with blue bars instead of red would just look shitty.

gaSlHxK.png

See? The leaf becomes too dominant, and it throws off the feel of the whole thing. It looks clownish.

Devvy

Donor
Didn't the Canadians only ditch the Red Ensign mostly because of the Suez Crisis and the wish to be recognised as neutral rather then British? Or have I completely butchered that?

Here's a quick n' dirty version of what I have in mind for an updated Red Ensign that is modern while retaining the links our past:

600px-Flag_of_Canada-1868-Red2.png