Maps and Graphics forum created

Great idea, indeed. Let's hope it would be an incitative to have quality maps back on air : come on, guys and guysettes, you have a dedicated forum now!

Wow, it's finally happened.

Just as a thought: now that Books and Media has been gutted how about formally moving the "Alternate histories taking place in fictional universes (Star Wars, etc)." from ASB into the new Books and Media? It seems a more natural place: to keep all discussion of or about published works in one forum. Though it might end up severely reducing ASB instead....

I mean at the moment I foresee problems in the split between B&M and ASB - the first two threads in B&M at the moment (The Eugenics Wars-A Brief History and TL 191 WI: No Mormon or Congaree rebellions in First Great War) surely fit into the Alternate histories taking place in fictional universes description for ASB don't they? Why is a timeline/discussion in the Star Trek universe in B&M, when a timeline set in the Star Wars universe is given as the typical example for what goes in ASB?

EDIT:
Or an idea. Make AHs based on fictional stuff go here? Currently they go in ASB, they would be more suited here.

Gah, just beaten to it. What she said.

Gah, just beaten to it. What she said.
I think ASB would be fine without the fictional stuff. Geological and nonsensical PoDs would be left, and the latter is OK.

Maybe allow people to post frivolous stuff again? Stuff like "USA vs. USB peripherals"? That would allow more activity. Currently its all squashed in one thread.

I think ASB would be fine without the fictional stuff. Geological and nonsensical PoDs would be left, and the latter is OK.

Maybe allow people to post frivolous stuff again? Stuff like "USA vs. USB peripherals"? That would allow more activity. Currently its all squashed in one thread.

It sounds reasonable, and there would be more room for proper Alien Space Bat Alternate History stuff that's done realistically (ISOTs I'm thinking of, or Guns of the South-style interventions).

The only problem I could see is deciding where to put clear ASB magic set in fictional universes, like WI X-men ISOTed to LOTR? to pick an example from the front page. I guess B&M can be reserved for timelines that fit the fictional universes laws?

Gian

Banned
I'm also concerned about ISOT TLs that involve fictional things as well as historical stuff (like krinsbez's 50 After the Ultimate ISOT, Griffalco's ISOT TL, or even my own O Brave New World reboot).

If fictional stuff gets moved to Books and Media, where will this category of ISOT TL go?

I'm also concerned about ISOT TLs that involve fictional things as well as historical stuff (like krinsbez's 50 After the Ultimate ISOT, Griffalco's ISOT TL, or even my own O Brave New World reboot).

If fictional stuff gets moved to Books and Media, where will this category of ISOT TL go?

Like I said I don't have an easy answer for everything, though the sort of stuff your describing should certainly stay in ASB from the sound of it.

I just think it would be easier either to say all fictional timelines, or timelines based on published works go in ASB whether being ASB or not, or they have to be split depending on the work.

Is a timeiline based on TL191 ASB? What about Star Trek? Is a Star Wars timeline ASB if it strictly follows the internal universe's laws?. As it is the ASB forum description says alternate histories taking place in fictional universes go in there, so even 'realistic' timelines should go in there (is TL191 a fictional universe, or does it count as ours? Is Star Trek a fictional universe, or just ours in the far future?).

The problem I see in sending all fictional timelines to ASB is that the new Books and Media essentially becomes a Chat forum - no creation, just discussion. If that's what's wanted then fine, but it should be clearly spelled out.

On that topic, what about some Non-Political Chat threads like All purpose Anime and Manga discussion thread or The Official Cthulhu Mythos Thread or A Song of Ice And Fire Thread? Shouldn't they be moved to Books and Media?