Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

The first foray of technology into the recording of reality was the photograph. Photography was invented by Frenchman Nicéphore Niépce in the 1820s. While the telegraph and later the telephone allowed for the transmission of messages and voice, it was not until the development of the phonograph in 1876 (with one of the earliest recordings being the US President's June 3rd Independence Day speech) that a record of not only visual but sound events could be kept beyond the written description. However, the greatest breakthrough to recording the events of life was the kinetograph (though only perfected after the Global War). Even at the beginning of its origins, attempts were made to capture both images and words simulataneously. The kinetograph recording would often be paired with a phonograph recording (simultaneously obtained in the case of news items, but very shortly fictional pieces were created, often with the 'phonography' performed after the action sequences were kinetographed, just timed to correspond with the images. This was an imprecise art, but by the 1910s, enough expertise had been gained that sound/picture dyssynchronization was only seen in the cheaper quality productions. Initially, theatres started showing kinetographs during the days when their companies weren't rehearsing, with live shows continuing in the evening, but in short order, custom made kinetograph theatres were built to ensure that screen viewing and phonographic playing were optimized for the audience. While the early production of kinetographs in the English-speaking world were centered on New York City and London, a surprising third center of kinee (short for kinetograph) production was located in the Dominion of Southern America's city of San Diego (located in the Pacific Province of Albion). San Diego earned this unlikely position with the great cities of the Anglosphere due to its almost constant sunshine (with the kinetographs often requiring good outside lighting in the early days) and the varied landscapes available in the region.

Black_Maria_Meeker.jpg

Interesting how the DSA does not have an income tax so far. It would be interesting to see a clash between DSA economic libertarianism and UK 'nanny-statism', assuming that develops as per OTL.

twovultures

That depends very much on the circumstances. After all from about 1840 for a century Britain was pretty much the ultimate libertarian state, far more than about anywhere else. Much to our downfall.:( Still likely to have a stronger central government in the UK and probably an income tax by now as its such a useful way of raising money. However definitely going to be some cultural clashes with the DSA. However this time its going to be the dominion that is more libertarian, rather than the UK as OTL.

Steve

So where will the American film industry be centered?

(fingers crossed for Virginia :D)

You thinking the Piedmont or Tidewater? I'd like to pull for the latter (mainly since it's my home turf :p), but honestly it'd probably be too muggy and swampy unless it's in the VA Beach area. The former has plenty of scenic landscapes and varied terrain, and while it's still forested and steamy it's IMHO manageable enough for film crews and actors of the period. If not Virginia, they could always establish their film industry in Vancouver, like OTL's Canada!

Glen, nice update! I shoulda figured the DSA would see their film industry somewhere on the West Coast.

Glen

I suspect that TTL's Hollywood will have a much broader scope in terms of subjects covered. Because of its links with Britain and its empire there are likely to be a lot of plots which relate to earlier British history and events in the empire. Know OTL Hollywood did that to a degree but expect it to be more prominent. Also another factor in this is with greater racial diversity in the DSA and also greater racial tolerance there is going to be a broader range of actors and potential plots to come across. Thinking about it might the S Asian settlers give scope and inputs for films to be made on Indian history and mythology including for viewing in the sub-continent.

Steve

If San Diego becomes the movie production home for the DSA, I would think that the USA's would eventually move from the east coast for the same reasons as OTL, plus the fact that there would be a large interchange of actors, producers, directors, and production crew between the two areas. While the Virginia coast might be tried out, unlike California, it still has cold winters. Even with enclosed studios in VA, production could be year round in California instudio or at a warm outside site.

Glen

So where will the American film industry be centered?

(fingers crossed for Virginia :D)

You thinking the Piedmont or Tidewater? I'd like to pull for the latter (mainly since it's my home turf :p), but honestly it'd probably be too muggy and swampy unless it's in the VA Beach area. The former has plenty of scenic landscapes and varied terrain, and while it's still forested and steamy it's IMHO manageable enough for film crews and actors of the period. If not Virginia, they could always establish their film industry in Vancouver, like OTL's Canada!

Time will tell, you two!

Glen, nice update! I shoulda figured the DSA would see their film industry somewhere on the West Coast.

Thank you. It does make a sort of sense, especially in the early days when lighting for studio filming was poor. Lots of sunshine is a good thing in this age.

Glen

twovultures

That depends very much on the circumstances. After all from about 1840 for a century Britain was pretty much the ultimate libertarian state, far more than about anywhere else.

And it has much of that ITTL as well, though socially as well without the Victorianism.

Much to our downfall.:(

How so?

Still likely to have a stronger central government in the UK and probably an income tax by now as its such a useful way of raising money.

Yes - income tax develops in the 19th century in the UK along fairly similar lines to OTL.

However definitely going to be some cultural clashes with the DSA. However this time its going to be the dominion that is more libertarian, rather than the UK as OTL.

Steve

Time will tell whether and how much they will end up diverging and clashing (the DSA and UK).

Glen

Glen

I suspect that TTL's Hollywood will have a much broader scope in terms of subjects covered. Because of its links with Britain and its empire there are likely to be a lot of plots which relate to earlier British history and events in the empire.

Quite right, old boy!

Know OTL Hollywood did that to a degree but expect it to be more prominent.

Yep.

Also another factor in this is with greater racial diversity in the DSA and also greater racial tolerance there is going to be a broader range of actors and potential plots to come across. Thinking about it might the S Asian settlers give scope and inputs for films to be made on Indian history and mythology including for viewing in the sub-continent.

Steve

True, don't have to go far to find some specific 'ethnic types' for roles, though the heroes will usually have awefully European features....

Glen

If San Diego becomes the movie production home for the DSA, I would think that the USA's would eventually move from the east coast for the same reasons as OTL, plus the fact that there would be a large interchange of actors, producers, directors, and production crew between the two areas.

A good thought; time will tell if your supposition bears fruit....

While the Virginia coast might be tried out, unlike California, it still has cold winters. Even with enclosed studios in VA, production could be year round in California instudio or at a warm outside site.

A fair point.

Glen

The experiences of the Empire with the failure of the Dominion of Hispaniola had made the Imperial government in London hesitant to extend full Dominion status to other parts of the Empire, though limited local self-government was allowed in many of the colonies such as the Australias, India, South Africa and Sierra Leone to name but a few. However, after the Global War the call for Dominion status was raised again in several quarters of the Empire, the two most vocal being the small population of the Australias and the sizable population of the Indian Raj. Therefore, in 1911, both were granted the status of full Dominions within the British Empire.

DSA World 1911.png

If San Diego becomes the movie production home for the DSA, I would think that the USA's would eventually move from the east coast for the same reasons as OTL, plus the fact that there would be a large interchange of actors, producers, directors, and production crew between the two areas. While the Virginia coast might be tried out, unlike California, it still has cold winters. Even with enclosed studios in VA, production could be year round in California instudio or at a warm outside site.

The main advantage that American California (basically Northern CA from OTL) would have ITTL is that the weather there is generally less extreme either way than a state like Virginia; it gets less cold there, and stays relatively cool in the summertime (drier environment, cooling currents from the EastPac, etc.) compared to the Chesapeake area. That, and it would have good lighting characteristics from a cinematography point of view AND a wide range of terrain types (the coast, Lake Tahoe area, desert-like badlands, forests, etc.).

Bit late to the party - for reasons I can't quite explain, I've been barely looking at this forum recently.

Nice updates, Glen. Interesting to see this world progressing in technological terms. One thing I'm thinking though - this is the era of the Welfare State in the UK (by that I mean this is when it was created - it of course still exists). I'd be interested to see whether that happens here, and the ramifications of welfare bleeding over the DSA/USA border (if indeed it does).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare_state_in_the_United_Kingdom

the very pink map makes its triumphant return!

(I have a version with a darker color in case you're interested, I took it off the same map even, it was on bermuda)

I wonder, are there more british owned studios, in san diego, or are more of them southern owned? additionally, I for one belive virginia to be a horrible place to locate a film industry. there are many other locations in the US that would almost certainly be better, there's vancouver naturally, the rogue river valley in OTL oregon is suited to year round agriculture, but it rains with a vengeance at times. probably the US film industry will end up in san fransisco, or there's the off chance that the go to schulze to be close to the scenery, though that might only be studios specializing in westerns. it could be that the US film industry ends up spread out across the country with no one "capitol".

It's not that pink :p Owning Antarctica barely makes up for losing Canada and W Australia. I'm more impressed by the Ottomans owning the whole goddamn Sahara: that's a lot of green! Not to mention the wholly original Afghan-wank Glen pulled off long ago!

Fascinating about India... how is it administered and by whom as a Dominion? Also, I can't recall, but why are Madagascar and Congo white? Independent!?

Glen

The main advantage that American California (basically Northern CA from OTL) would have ITTL is that the weather there is generally less extreme either way than a state like Virginia; it gets less cold there, and stays relatively cool in the summertime (drier environment, cooling currents from the EastPac, etc.) compared to the Chesapeake area. That, and it would have good lighting characteristics from a cinematography point of view AND a wide range of terrain types (the coast, Lake Tahoe area, desert-like badlands, forests, etc.).

A fair point. But would it be too foggy?;)

Glen

Bit late to the party - for reasons I can't quite explain, I've been barely looking at this forum recently.

Oh, we all wax and wane on what we can do.

Nice updates, Glen.

Thanks!

Interesting to see this world progressing in technological terms.

Glad you are kept interested.

One thing I'm thinking though - this is the era of the Welfare State in the UK (by that I mean this is when it was created - it of course still exists). I'd be interested to see whether that happens here,

Well, time will tell in terms of overall course, but I think compared to OTL you will see at least a delay in any UK welfare state, both because of the reforms of the 19th century which were more aggressive giving breathing space for the government, and for the lingering stigma of some of the more Korsgaardian adopted elements of the welfare state.

and the ramifications of welfare bleeding over the DSA/USA border (if indeed it does).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare_state_in_the_United_Kingdom

Well, it wouldn't necessarily - a welfare state in the UK does not necessarily translate to it in the Dominions...

Glen

(I have a version with a darker color in case you're interested, I took it off the same map even, it was on bermuda)

Please do post it for our review!

I wonder, are there more british owned studios, in san diego, or are more of them southern owned?

At this stage in history? Entirely Southron enterprises.

additionally, I for one belive virginia to be a horrible place to locate a film industry.

And you may very well be right, but could you elaborate on your own thoughts on this point.

there are many other locations in the US that would almost certainly be better, there's vancouver naturally,

Indeed - and what makes Vancouver so good as an ATL Hollywood?

the rogue river valley in OTL oregon is suited to year round agriculture, but it rains with a vengeance at times.

So what makes you mention it?

probably the US film industry will end up in san fransisco,

A thought, but would we worry too much about fog?

or there's the off chance that the go to schulze to be close to the scenery, though that might only be studios specializing in westerns.

Indeed? That would make it the pre-eminent industry in Schulze, wouldn't it!

it could be that the US film industry ends up spread out across the country with no one "capitol".

That is a possibility as well. Time will tell.

Glen

It's not that pink :p Owning Antarctica barely makes up for losing Canada and W Australia.

Indeed it is not - then again, it is very hard to out-do the Britwank that is OTL.

I'm more impressed by the Ottomans owning the whole goddamn Sahara: that's a lot of green!

Indeed, indeed...

Not to mention the wholly original Afghan-wank Glen pulled off long ago!

Ah yes, thank you. I was rather proud of that one, and of course an Afghan seacoast to boot!:D

Fascinating about India... how is it administered and by whom as a Dominion?

Ah, that will have to wait for future updates.

Also, I can't recall, but why are Madagascar and Congo white? Independent!?

Congo is a Prus-Pol state that 'severed ties' politically, but still has very strong economic ties. Madagascar is still independent but if you look carefully you will see that it is in the joint economic sphere of Britain and France.

Map question & politics question.

Who controls Rangoon/Yangon? It looks like it is part of India and that India and Siam border on the seacoast and that alt-Burma/Myanmar is land locked.

Also, is there any dislike in the Western Nations like Britain, France, and the DSA for the USA Government that chose not to join them? i.e. if you Yankees had gotten off your butts we would have had a million less casualties...

The ability of the USA to sell to *only* one side in the Global war was worse than it was in OTL WWI, I think.