TL-191: After the End

Vexacus

Banned
/SNIPPITY
Leo Enos (S-MA)/Alfred Turnbull (S-ON): 360 EV
Archibald Young (D-MN)/Nick Collins (D-NJ): 141 EV
John Smith (R-CA)/Michael O'Connor (R-MY): 106 EV
For those of us who are geographically dumb, can someone do a version of this map with the state names on as there are states I canlt figure out

For those of us who are geographically dumb, can someone do a version of this map with the state names on as there are states I canlt figure out

It's not quite what you're looking for, but does this help?

TL-191_2012_Electoral_Map.png

TL-191_2012_Electoral_Map.png

I still don't see why the Antilles aren't just a single State.

I agree. All of tiny Caribbean islands should be federated as one state, regardless of political wrangling. I don't think most of the other states would appreciate such tiny entities getting equal Senatorial votes, no matter what their political party!

I agree. All of tiny Caribbean islands should be federated as one state, regardless of political wrangling. I don't think most of the other states would appreciate such tiny entities getting equal Senatorial votes, no matter what their political party!
Rhode Island? District of Columbia? All of New England compared to the big states out West?

Rhode Island? District of Columbia? All of New England compared to the big states out West?

Don't you mean Rogue (or is that Rogue?) Island? I remember how they constantly screwed over the Congress of the Confederation when it came to changing the Articles.... I was there! I should know.

I do agree that DC should either not have Electoral Votes (certainly not THREE) or should have some sort of compromise worked out for it (say, One or Two E.V.'s.

And N. England states at least have history and population behind them. Caribbean islands, being incorporated into the US at a late date and with teeny, itsy-bitsy populations should all have 3 votes each. It's a silly and disproportionate thing.

Stop the insanity!!

(At least in my Alt. Hist. they are federated into one state!) :D

JSmith

Banned
I have an announcement to make. I'm afraid that I have not yet completed the 2000s update. Since I'm going to be very busy over the next three months, I will be unable to post the update in the near future. My apologies for the delay.

The 2000s will be posted in June.
Wait a minute its June. If I had a tail it would be wagging :)

Well, it's not the tack I would've taken, but it certainly is well laid out. Sorry to necro-post, but I'm re-reading the whole series (because I feel like it :D ) and I see a far darker future ahead for TL -191...and some interesting developments for some of the characters.

US troops searching the rubble of Pittsburgh find what they thought was the body of a Confederate officer, wounded in the back and with blood all over the side of his head. They begin to remove the body, when he suddenly sits bolt upright and screams. The soldier who fired on LTC Tom Colleton fired at such an angle, that the bullet dug a furrow in the side of Colleton's head, but failed to penetrate his skull. Thinking he'd put paid to the man, the soldier went on. The search party calls medics over and Colleton is transported to U Pitt Hospital. There he recovers, paralyzed from the waist down and with a speech impediment and massive short-term memory loss. When asked his name his reply is: Cole-ton. The military medical personnel write him down as LTC Coleton, no first initial, and go on about their business. He is sent to Richmond after recovery, where he remained in a veterans home until his death in 1960. His family (Bertha and the children) never know he lived through the war.

Brigadier General Abner Dowling is brought back out of retirement to head the National Intelligence Agency. He marries reporter Ophelia Clemens, and writes an incriminating and tell-all memoir of his years with Custer. He is also credited with the creation of Operation Bent Staple, which brought Confederate personnel deemed essential to US national security into the NIA, rather than having them killed off. Rocket scientists from Huntsville and of course Professor FitzBelmont are included in Bent Staple, as is one Brigadier General Clarence Potter. He passes away in 1955 from a single stroke suffered at his Langley Virginia office desk. He is survived by his adopted son, Abner George Dowling and adopted daughter Melanie Lynn Dowling Potter

Brigadier General Clarence Potter is content to remain in his small Richmond apartment, easily able to ferret out the men assigned to shadow him. He was happily typing away on his memoirs one fall evening in 1948 when a knock came at the door and two burly FBI men ordered him to step inside. A moment or two later, portly Abner Dowling himself walks in, neatly dressed (and slightly thinner thanks to his wife), and explains the basics of Operation Bent Staple to Potter who jumps at the chance to be useful. (Since he was never a complete fan of Featherston, he is vetted into NIA and assists in training US intelligence personnel for work in Europe and Mexico. He is the author of the coup in Mexico which brings down Francisco Jose.) He becomes fast friends with Dowling and eventually marries his adopted daughter Melanie Lynn (Interestingly enough, she is a war orphan who bears a strange resemblance to the late Anne Colleton), who is some 38 years his junior. Melanie bears him two sons, neither of whom is named Jake. He passes at 75 and is buried in the US National Military Cemetery's special section for foreign officers rendering distinguished service to the United States.

Military Governor Brigadier General Irving Morrell is gunned down in Atlanta in a drive-by shooting perpetrated by Confederate operatives from a shadowy group known as the Order of the Blue X. OBX operatives plague the US for years, gunning down occupation troops and disappearing into the shadows. Rumors abound that some OBX operators are Mormons as well. He is survived by his wife Agnes and daughter Mildred.

LCDR Sam Carstens is medically retired from active duty in the Navy after a vicious bout with melanoma. He survives and becomes a teacher of Great War 2 History at Annapolis, the only mustang officer ever to have that distinction. He retires as a Captain USNR in 1960 and passes away from a different cancer in 1965. He never marries and leaves no survivors.

Cassius Madison eventually returns to the South briefly to survey his old neighborhood. Searching his old apartment house, he finds his father's writings hidden in the false bottom of the nightstand beside his parent's bed. In those writings, he finds out the truth of his father's life and takes the name Scipio-Xerxes as his middle name. He later searches captured South Carolina records and finds the photograph of his father which hung in SC post offices for years. He eventually comes to know one Colonel Jonathan Moss, Judge Advocate Corps and decides to learn law. He becomes involved with Moss' as a legal assistant in processing claims for blacks against the former CSA.

George Enos, Jr. returns to Boston, buys his own fishing boat and eventually becomes the owner of a small fleet of fishing boats.

Chester Martin returns home to California and begins life again with Rita...until two FBI agents knock on his door one day in 1949. He's placed under arrest and taken to South Carolina. When he arrives, several other men in his unit are also incarcerated there. LT Boris Levochkin is also there. They are all tried for the murder of the citizens of Hardeeville, SC. Levochkin is hanged, the remaining men are all given 5 year suspended sentences. It turns out that not all of the citizens were killed that fateful day...and some remembered.

Cincinnatus Driver buys several trucks and becomes the proud owner of Driver Trucking. His son in law throws in with him. The company is successful and becomes a national concern.

Captain Dan Cressy becomes Chief of Naval Operations in 1948, after his promotion to Rear Admiral.

Armstrong Grimes is gunned down on his way to the bus that would have taken him back home in an Order of the Blue X drive by shooting.

Flora Hamburger Blackford retired from Congress at 70 and passed peacefully at 80. Her brother David passes a week later.

The Order of the Blue X gets its name from the blue St. Andrews crosses which sprang up in various locations in the South. Founded by unknown returning Confederate officers, the OBX recruited former CS soldiers and officers, disgruntled civilians and expatriate Mormons and turned them into an organization which plagues the United States off and on for some 50 plus years, despite re-admission of many states to the Union. One of their favorite tactics is the drive by shooting; a second, the infamous Dixie Donna female people bomber. Others include the snatch and grab, where a van or panel truck is used to grab a US soldier or government official off the street, execute them and dump the body at a separate location; and the infamous Improvised Roadside Bomb where an artillery shell or mine is placed and detonated when a military vehicle goes past. Oddly enough, they rarely target Negroes unless they are government positions.

Some of it is interesting; though I can see some minor issues;

Firstly, Colleton's fate isn't particularly plausible, there aren't that many lieutenant-colonels in any military service, and when they find no LTC Coleton in Confederate records, somebody is going to do some digging.

That, assuming that Colleton doesn't have an identity card or dog tags or something.

I'm somewhat doubtful the US would ever try Lavochkin or Martin or anyone in connection to Hardeeville. What side prosecutes their own soldiers? And even if they did, the public outcry against the trial would probably be enormous.

I find it somewhat doubtful that unlike OTL Neo-Nazi organizations, Order of the Blue X wouldn't be especially vengeful about targeting blacks. It'd be as if Neo-Nazis didn't target Jews (and even when they don't, it's usually because Muslims have become their new favorite target, and for the nonce, they're too busy heaping praise on Israel).

But other than that, I rather like these vignettes!