Emberverse Map

They're nominally part of Britain. They send in the name of their Governor-General to Britain for approval - after the fact.

They're just so far away they don't really bother getting involved. And anyways, there's no danger that would require Britain to step in, outside of pirates, but the Tasmanians and New Zealanders can stop that by themselves anyways.

Thats basically the situation Australia and New Zealand are in now, the Governor General is sent for final approval by the monarch.Its entirely ceremonial and tradition, but you would hardly call Australia and New Zealand in 2013 British.

Also is the Dominion of Cairns cannon, it might be better to have it as the Dominion of Townsville. Townsville has both a fairly large army base, a slightly larger population at 196,000 vs Cairn 157,000 and far better agriculture and water security then Cairns.

Said agriculture is also food including a lot of potato cattle and horses, vs Cairns who have agricultural land bu less with most of it cash crops like sugar cane or up on the Atherton Tablelands (where again the majority of it is cash crops). the mountain which would have to be navigated to bring that food from the table lands to Cairns would be pretty difficult without trucks and the like.

Well, comments by Stirling suggest that Cairns was probably one of the few large cities on the planet (the others being Portland and Singapore) to get their shit together and survive. So Cairns wound up being one of the centers of civilization on Australia - though lines from the book suggest it's a very brutal kind of civilization.

Well, comments by Stirling suggest that Cairns was probably one of the few large cities on the planet (the others being Portland and Singapore) to get their shit together and survive. So Cairns wound up being one of the centers of civilization on Australia - though lines from the book suggest it's a very brutal kind of civilization.

If its cannon its cannon I guess, but I would not have picked Cairns of all places in North Queensland to survive.

I've only read the first book, but I gotta ask, what's up with the Britwank and Norwank? I can see them doing better due to fishing and the high coast to area ratio, but having them unify all western europe into contiguous political entities with pre-industrial tech and puny population just doesn't make sense. I can see France and Germany getting utterly screwed, but there will be some survivors (even if they're cannibals they haven't completely forgotten everything pre-change) and they won't want to be part of the greater British or Norwegian empire. Also, IIRC Spain has one of the lower population densities in Europe, wouldn't parts of them pull through? It seems a little ludicrous that the collapse of technology would lead to large space-filling empires...

Well, those areas aren't really full, those are just claimed by Britain and Norrland. The Brits have a few colonies at the coasts of rivers and are using Spain as farmland (Gibraltar survived by walling off the peninsula) and Norrland is settling Germany much more rapidly since no one wants to farm the icy rocky soil up north when you have all that land. Any Spanish of Frenchmen or Germans who survived without eating people came out of the woodwork and joined the settlers as soon as they showed up, because there were so few of them.

Actually Spain had quite a few survivors, but they were nearly all Basques, which becomes the major language of the north Iberian Peninsula in a few generations.

According to the wiki (I think) the British and Jamaicans were setting up a number of colonies along the former US East Coast by the time this map would be set.

Faeelin

Banned
I've only read the first book, but I gotta ask, what's up with the Britwank and Norwank? I can see them doing better due to fishing and the high coast to area ratio, but having them unify all western europe into contiguous political entities with pre-industrial tech and puny population just doesn't make sense.

It seems a little ludicrous that the collapse of technology would lead to large space-filling empires...

Because it's awesome. Same reason England rejoins the Catholic Church.

Map now includes Hawaii and the Valley of the Sun.

Emberverse V.2.png

Okay, I made a new river and line free Emberverse map. Any changes that need to made in accordance to the new book? Also, what year does the new book take place? I'll have a map for CY 22 (2020 AD) and whenever the new book takes place.

Emberversemap.png

The new book takes place in CY46 (2044 AD).

New stuff:

The Dunedain and some McKenzies have colonized part of the Napa valley, and have outposts on the outskirts of San Francisco.

Somewhere near Cape Mendocino (in Humboldt County), there's a pocket of civilized survivors who made it through the Change as the Barony of Mist Hills.

There's mention of trade with civilized pockets in Mexico and S. America (Arica, Puerto Montt, and Esmereldas).

Darwin (Kingdom of Capricornia), Launceston, Townsville, Cairns, and Tasmania are the major city/states in Australia.

Japan survived, in the form of a pocket of civilization in/around Sadogashima (Sado Island). The Imperial Family (rescued from Tokyo) rules from there.

Korea has been conquered/unified by the North Koreans.

The Haida still haven't been wiped out.

Northern (and possibly all of) California is "Westria" (a Crown Province).

The new book takes place in CY46 (2044 AD).

New stuff:

The Dunedain and some McKenzies have colonized part of the Napa valley, and have outposts on the outskirts of San Francisco.

Somewhere near Cape Mendocino (in Humboldt County), there's a pocket of civilized survivors who made it through the Change as the Barony of Mist Hills.

There's mention of trade with civilized pockets in Mexico and S. America (Arica, Puerto Montt, and Esmereldas).

Darwin (Kingdom of Capricornia), Launceston, Townsville, Cairns, and Tasmania are the major city/states in Australia.

Japan survived, in the form of a pocket of civilization in/around Sadogashima (Sado Island). The Imperial Family (rescued from Tokyo) rules from there.

Korea has been conquered/unified by the North Koreans.

The Haida still haven't been wiped out.

Northern (and possibly all of) California is "Westria" (a Crown Province).

Thanks for the info. :)

Some questions;

Esmeraldas in Ecuador or Brazil?

Are each of those Australian cities independent nations or the capitals of independent nations?

We aren't given the locations (or pre-Change predecessors) of the Central/South American states.

The named Australian cities seem to be the capitals independent/unaffiliated nations (or just city-states like Corvallis).

There's also Southern Oregon (which was more-or-less completely off the map, until some mention in LoM and now some exploration in TGP).
The southern half of Oregon seems to be dominated by Clan McClintock (which formed around a Scottish Culture fanatic who, for some reason, became Wiccan rather than National Covenant-style Christian...), who are basically more primitive versions of the McKenzies (and possibly more numerous, for some reason).
Between the McClintocks and Corvallis is a federation of what appear to be Jewish kibbutzim (Degania Dalet).

I dug up some notes I had lying around for a newer version of this map based on some comments I dug up on the Yahoo Group and elsewhere.

So, here are all the nations of the Emberverse as far as I know.

The Aleutians are still populated.

Hawaii, of course, is a Kingdom, but isn't really Hawaiian.

The Haida, as meatshield said, still exist.

Montival is the largest state in the Americas. Members are the PPA, Mackenzies, Bearkillers, Corvallis, Mount Angel, Kyklos, the Dunedain, the Yoruba, the Barony of the Mist Hills, the Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs, CORA, Pendleton, the United States of Boise, Free Cities of the Yakima, New Deseret, the Valley of the Sun (and their followers, the Shoshone, Arapahoe, and Ranchers of the Wind River Basin), the Morrowlanders, the Powder River Ranchers, the Sioux, and Nakamtu (Montana). The Front Range and the San Louis Valley in Colorado are theoretically part of Montival, but they're too far away to factor into anything major.

There have been some vague hints dropped about Topanga, in Southern California.

There are the three Dominions, Drumheller, Moose Jaw, and Minnedosa, from west to east.

The Great Plain States: Iowa, Nebraska, Fargo (eastern North Dakota & north Minnesota), Marshall (eastern South Dakota & south Minnestoa), Concordia (Kansas), the Red Hills Refuge (northern Oklahoma), Kirkville (north Missouri), Richland, Ellsworth, and the Ojibwa (all Wisconsin), and the Commonwealth of Duluth.

The Republica de Pecos and the Navajo are rather isolated.

Then there's Norrheim, Prince Edward Isle, and the Madawaska Republic. Greater Britain claims the east coast. Other than that the only population centers are the Appalachians, Bekwa, and Cajuns, and some Rovers.

In the Caribbean, you have the Cubans, Jamaicans, and Hispaniola. The Bahamas and Bermuda were resettled by Greater Britain. Some people survived in Belize, but they're not even regional players.

In South America Ecuador, Venezuela, and Southern Brazil have successor states. Chile has two. There are multiple states around the Rio de la Plata, and in Northern Brazil there's some freaky Yoruba/Catholic hybrid culture that is rather spread out. The Falklands are Greater Britain's.

Greater Britain has all of Europe west of Germany and north of Italy, as well as Morocco and Algeria. The Umbrian League has mainland Italy, and Sicily is independent and settling Tunisia. The Hellenic League has Greece, Anatolia, the Levant, and Egypt, and the Bedouin have Lybia, Mesopotamia, and Arabia (except for the part being resettled by Oman). The Kurds are spreading out from their homeland and diversifying. The Berbers are fighting with Greater Britain for North Africa.

The Balkans pulled through but the current political landscape is vague. Hungary and Bulgaria are big players, as are Ukraine and eastern Poland. Norrland has Scandinavia and Germany/Western Poland. There's a Romania and an independent Transylvania.

The Baltic Nations have successor states, but most of Western Russia is gone except for city-states like Astrakhan or Belograd or nomadic groups like the Cossacks, Kalmyks, and Tatars.

In Central Asia, you have Khazaks, Turks, nomadic descendants of Russians and Han Chinese, and Uyghurs. The Uyghurs and Chinese have split Xinjiang between them, but a bunch were forced out into Central Asia.

There are a bunch of Russian nations further north, stretching as far as the Amur.

The Bakhtiars, Baloch, and Pashtuns survived in Afghanistan and Iran, and are pushing into India, clashing with Punjabi people (including Sikhs) and the Indian State of Hinduraj. The Nepalese are moving out of the Himalayas into India too. The Andaman Islands are a pirate haven.

Ceylon either trade with Greater Britain or is ruled by it. The fact that it's referred to as Ceylon rather than Sri Lanka suggests the latter.

The Mongolians rule Mongolia and adjoining parts of Russia as well a Northern China. The Tibetans have Tibet back. The Chinese are fragmented but have Central China wrapped up.

Korea and Japan survived in some form, see meatshield's comments.

Burma is a prominent merchant state. New Singapore rules the Malay Peninsula. Mindanao is apparently ruled by groups under the influence of the Artists Formerly Known as the Ascended Masters. Borneo has two states, Kalimatan and Borneo. Indonesia has several: Sumatra, Surabaya, Timor, Ceram (or Seram), and Papua have been mentioned by name. Bali, notably, is settling the surrounding islands.

Capricornia, Cairns, and Townsville are all states, as are Tasmania and the South Island of New Zealand. The Eyre Peninsula is also survived. Arnheim Land is theoretically part of Carpricornia.

New Caledonia survived too.

Africa has the Emirate of Dakar, Ashanti, Cameroon, Cape Town, the Zulus, Zanzibar, and several states around Sudan.

This is, as far as I know, the most accurate and up-to-date list of nations. If you have any questions on borders, ect, I'll do my best to answer them.

Last edited:
My only real problem with the emberverse is the Eastern Death Zone. I can understand the big cities like Boston, New York and Philadelphia, imploding, but the small towns of the Northeast have a good chance of surviving. Good Farmland, very good water supply, and expirience in low machinery farming would make some of these areas much more likely to survive than the industrial farms of the west. Places like Idaho require water to be extracted from the Ogalla resevoir, New England would not have that trouble. Other than that and the inevitable Britwank that occurs in all of Stirlings works, this looks good.