Emberverse Map

I just finished reading the series and I had some free time. So...here you go. Obviously lots of conjecture, and information beyond North America is scarce.

emberverse.png

Interesting map, but I think borders are less likely to follow the pre-Change borders, especially in North America where they're straight lines ignoring geography.
EDIT: Also, weren't the borders of England's continental territory supposed to follow the old German and Italian borders. I'm also fairly sure that England held Iceland, too, or was just the place all the Icelandics migrated to.

Fixed borders and other issues.

For those of you wondering why the Eastern European countries are all out of place or the borders are weird or whatever, I just pretty much stuck random names on countries, but I justified it by saying that ethnic groups probably got shuffled around in the chaos. Also, the statistics of survivors were pretty weird - the books mention most of the remaining Spaniards speak Basque, for example.

emberverse.png

This is a great map. :D I've always been fascinated with the Emberverse series, and I plan on reading the books soon.

As for some of the unmarked areas on the map, this old thread I found thread might help. :):cool: Even S.M. Stirling himself posted in this thread under the username
joatsimeon, before he was banned of course. He gives some pretty good descriptions of what happened to certain countries and regions not mentioned on your map.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=58347&highlight=Emberverse

Thanks! And thanks for the thread, lots of interesting information on Russia, Eastern Europe, and Australia.

Edit: Also the Caribbean.

Last edited:
Thanks! And thanks for the thread, lots of interesting information on Russia, Eastern Europe, and Australia.

Edit: Also the Caribbean.

Cool map. I shared over at the Stirling group on FB and will forward any comments they have about the map.

As for me, I think the PPA controls a little more of British Columbia. I remember in one of the recent Emberverse novel someone from Drumheller referencing fighting between them and Portland and finally agreeing to a border.

Working on a second version of the map - dug up a lot of information on Russia and Asia-Pacifica. I'm also thinking of writing up short little bios on all the nations I'm "making up." That is to say, that don't appear in the books but needed names anyways.

Working on a second version of the map - dug up a lot of information on Russia and Asia-Pacifica. I'm also thinking of writing up short little bios on all the nations I'm "making up." That is to say, that don't appear in the books but needed names anyways.

Don't forget New Singapore.

BOOM! Hope y'all enjoy those little Russian successor states. They were fun to name. :D By the way, New Zealand is displayed long after the Change, after it recolonized the North Island and South Pacific (according to Stirling's comments).

Bios to follow.

Emberverse V.2.png

That map is freakin excellent! :D You did a great job with the Russian successor states in particular.

You mind if I take the map and add somethings? Some posters in the thread made some cool speculations (ei: Jeju Island surviving, Hokkaido surviving, etc.)

Sure! I was pretty sure Madagascar would survive too, but no one made mention of that, so I divided it between the two East African city-states.

Sure! I was pretty sure Madagascar would survive too, but no one made mention of that, so I divided it between the two East African city-states.

Isn't Fargo in North Dakota? I know its on the border with Minnesota, but I have to assume the Sioux wouldn't be able to control all of that territory near the city. Perhaps the James River is a better border?

Also should have posted this sooner, but here are some comments from the Stirling group regarding the last map:

John Birmingham There's a few other places I know of could go on this map, but I dont think I'm allowed to say yet.

(Yes, he is that John Birmingham. He mentioned before he is collaborating with Stirling on an Emberverse novel set in Australia.)

Guadalupe Lopez-Gutierrez Well, maps are static slices of political scenes... or geological ones. We have a map from CY4 and another from CY19... and soon we will have one from CY40! I'm wondering at the placement of hinduraj... I'd have put it over on the other side of the continent. By Mumbai or Delhi. I can't see any place near Bangladesh surviving.

(Lupe runs the Stirling fan fiction and her character BD has shown up in the actual series.)

Jim Reid I think Umbria may be overstated; with only fifty thousand people at the time Nigel Loring visited, I don't think it could control the entire boot (although they may have made a claim). I'd leave some green space down toward the toe of the boot (Calabria, et. al.).

(Don't personally remember this detail, so I can't confirm.)

Hope this helps. I also posted the new map there as well.

Well, the map isn't from a specific time. North America is from the Sunrise Lands series, and I'm not even sure where the others are from. Most of them I just made up.

It's just supposed to give people an idea of who survived where and who's getting what.

Isn't Fargo in North Dakota? I know its on the border with Minnesota, but I have to assume the Sioux wouldn't be able to control all of that territory near the city. Perhaps the James River is a better border?

Yep, Fargo is in ND.

From what I remember, Iceland joined with the remnant UK, thought they joined the with.

I'd fix that, but I don't have the time. The reason I threw up this map was so that people could add to it or use it in map games or whatever.

I've only read the first few books but I thought Tasmania and New Zealand where independent of Britain or did that change latter in the books.

They're nominally part of Britain. They send in the name of their Governor-General to Britain for approval - after the fact.

They're just so far away they don't really bother getting involved. And anyways, there's no danger that would require Britain to step in, outside of pirates, but the Tasmanians and New Zealanders can stop that by themselves anyways.