Byzantine Empire under the Golden Horde: Possible?

Going over by one of the threads that I started as a collaborative TL with another author, it's about the Golden Horde converting to Orthodox Christianity, but not by the Rus' or the Byzantines, but by the Kingdom of Serbia under the Nemanjic dynasty. Now I wanted to take this from another angle, but is there a way for the Khanate of the Golden Horde to take the Byzantine lands that was occupied by the Latin crusaders, possibly through the alliance with the Empires of Nicaea and Epirus, as well as say, either Serbia or Bulgaria?

I'm asking this is because I'm thinking of doing a rewrite on it, but with additional new information. So far, I already have Sartaq surviving (but Nevsky gets killed instead), and the Golden Horde looks southwards for help in conversion to Orthodox Christianity. Any other ideas?

Probably doable, though I suspect that any medieval Orthodox state that moves its capital to Constantinople is quite quickly going to start calling itself "Roman" and speaking and eventually administering in Greek, which definitely deflates the Golden Horde-ish aspect of this!

Could a Byzantine-Tatar state have its capital remain at Sarai Batu or at least, have it moved to a city that is close to both Constantinople and Sarai Batu? Of course, if the Golden Horde becomes Hellenized, then it kills the purpose of keeping the Slavic portion of the Byzantine culture.

Could a Byzantine-Tatar state have its capital remain at Sarai Batu or at least, have it moved to a city that is close to both Constantinople and Sarai Batu? Of course, if the Golden Horde becomes Hellenized, then it kills the purpose of keeping the Slavic portion of the Byzantine culture.

What city would be a good compromise though? A city on the Russian Steppes, in the Crimea, in the Ukraine etc?

Crimea might be a good fit though: shorter distance to both Constantinople and Sarai Batu. Would the Golden Horde intermarry into the Byzantine royal family though? One good bonus would be that the Golden Horde might be in position to reel Serbia and Bulgaria in.

Another issue: would the Golden Horde have their own Patriarchate/Exarchate or would they be subordinated to the Greek Church?

Crimea might be a good fit though: shorter distance to both Constantinople and Sarai Batu. Would the Golden Horde intermarry into the Byzantine royal family though? One good bonus would be that the Golden Horde might be in position to reel Serbia and Bulgaria in.

Another issue: would the Golden Horde have their own Patriarchate/Exarchate or would they be subordinated to the Greek Church?

I think they be subordinate to the Greek Church.

OK, so would a Golden Horde-ruled Byzantine Empire also conquer most of the Orthodox Balkan states?

I presume a land route is wanted to Constantinople as well. So yes.

The Orthodox states a the time include Serbia, Bulgaria, the Romanian States, Greece, Montenegro and a few others.

Is there any danger of the Golden Horde-ruled Byzantium fracturing though?

Well, the size of the Empire and the distance between Constantinople and Sarai Batu (which is in Russia, on the or near the Volga?). Also, The Russians attempting to break free of Tatar dominance will be a problem eventually.

So it could.

Well, the size of the Empire and the distance between Constantinople and Sarai Batu (which is in Russia, on the or near the Volga?). Also, The Russians attempting to break free of Tatar dominance will be a problem eventually.

So it could.

Sarai Batu is on the Volga River, just 85 km east of Volgograd. With the problem of the Russians' potential attempt to break free from Mongol rule, would the Mongols simply respond by expelling some of them and make room for loyal Slavic subjects and merchants to settle in?

On the other hand, is there a way for the Golden Horde to acquire a partial Slavic flavor in their empire? Especially if their subjects are Serbs and Bulgarians.

Last edited:
In the event that Tatar Rhomania disintegrates, is there any chance that one of the smaller successor states could emerge as the next dominant state?

Sarai Batu is on the Volga River, just 85 km east of Volgograd. With the problem of the Russians' potential attempt to break free from Mongol rule, would the Mongols simply respond by expelling some of them and make room for loyal Slavic subjects and merchants to settle in?

On the other hand, is there a way for the Golden Horde to acquire a partial Slavic flavor in their empire? Especially if their subjects are Serbs and Bulgarians.

Possibly, but how many would that be?

To the second part, I think Greeks would be a larger part of the Empire than Bulgarians and Serbs.

In the event that Tatar Rhomania disintegrates, is there any chance that one of the smaller successor states could emerge as the next dominant state?

In where, Russia and/or former Byzantium?

OK, I'm not sure when the disintegration will start and how it will occur. For one thing, I'm thinking of a succession crisis where a contender to the throne (half-Genghisid and half-whichever Byzantine royal family) has to face competition from among the other contenders. There's also potential contenders with half-Genghisid lineage from the Slavic principalities (say the contenders being Russian, Serb, Bulgarian), and possibly Christianized Turco-Mongol pretenders as well. In addition, with the Mongol succession wars, I'm thinking that maybe the Golden Horde and the Yuan Empire partition the Chagatai Khanate.

OK, I'm not sure when the disintegration will start and how it will occur. For one thing, I'm thinking of a succession crisis where a contender to the throne (half-Genghisid and half-whichever Byzantine royal family) has to face competition from among the other contenders. There's also potential contenders with half-Genghisid lineage from the Slavic principalities (say the contenders being Russian, Serb, Bulgarian), and possibly Christianized Turco-Mongol pretenders as well. In addition, with the Mongol succession wars, I'm thinking that maybe the Golden Horde and the Yuan Empire partition the Chagatai Khanate.

If it is in the Balkans, then several successor states can be formed and will most likely fight each other. Although several other powers could get involved.

I ain't quite sure on the Golden Horde and Yuan China partitioning the Chagatai Khanate, as I only know of it from MEIOU. Best of asking someone else.