Very Minor PODs

Seraphiel

Banned
I die in 2000.

More seriously the Mennonites Old Colony Church isnt nearly so ultra-conservative and it doesnt split in mid nineteen hundreds.

Here's a very minor one, and the type of minor POD based alternate history I'll call "Asterisk Alternate History" where it's the slimmest of difference and if you traveled to another universe, you could barely tell the difference:

Packaging. Any package design can be vastly different based on what type of packaging got picked or became the most popular. There is a reality where the DVD case looks different or is universally thinner, where digital disc media never gave up the jewel case (as it did with DVDs and Blu-Ray and now with CDs having paper sleeves ala LPs), where CDs always came in paper sleeves like LPs, where even the type of cardboard box that became popular is different and folded different compared to the OTL, where pop cans come in a different case, and so on ad infinitum. Not to mention things like alternate covers and pictures and logos on said packaging.

Jim Carrey auditioned for the 1980-1981 season of Saturday Night Live. He wasn't picked and continued his stand up career and starring in minor or not that great film roles. He later went on to be in "In Living Color" (1990-1994) and went onto greater fame from there.

Two placename mini PODs :

When the Normans took over, they renamed the town of Snottingham to Nottingham.

When the city of Portland in today's Oregon was founded in the 19th century, its name was decided by a coin toss between two officials, both from Maine. One was from Portland and the other one from Boston. Ergo, if the coin had fallen on the other side, the US would have another Boston in the Pacific Northwest. Perhaps "New Boston", to keep it from becoming too confusing ? ;)

In the movie Casablanca, the piano player isn't called by a short and common name like Sam. As a result, we don't have the phrase "Play it again Sam" becoming popular.

Imagin Rhett Butler saying "frankly my dear, I don't care", or "frankly Scarlett, I don't give a damn". Would either phrase be as memorable as the actual line?

Arlington County, Virginia keeps its original name of Alexandria County, thereby condemning everyone to confuse it with the adjacent City of Alexandria.

Two asterisk history effects of Jackie Kennedy dying in 1963 or not becoming First Lady, respectably, are the high possibility that Penn Station renovations and alterations go forward. In I think it was the 70s, there were proposals to do things like add a skyscraper atop it or otherwise alter it, and Jackie Kennedy was a big part of the group that wanted to have it historically preserved and led the effort to see Penn Station remain true to its historic roots. And there were all sorts of historic building around the Washington Mall, I think it was, that she used her time as First Lady to make sure weren't torn down and replaced as they were intended and as they may have been had, say, Pat Nixon become First Lady and nothing changed. At least I think that's what it was. Some historic buildings were going away and she saved them when First Lady, but I may be misremembering some details from the Jackie Kennedy interview CDs I own where I got that knowledge from.

Kosta

Banned
In the late-1600's, some non-Jurors and assorted other Londoners wished to join the Orthodox Church after hearing of the novelty of the one Orthodox church in the city. These men and women were turned down not just because there was only a trans-European circuit of priests to serve the needs of any proposed community and so a visiting Bishop at the time wished to see them being regular members of their respective old parishes, but because the Bishop in question did not wish to rock the boat and offend their patrons and the law of the land. But what if they had gone for it and created a "Western" Rite? We could see a different religious history in England and Britain as a whole, and could create for some interesting times. Now, while I personally do think that said PoD is minor, I suppose it could be argued otherwise. I simply see it that there would be the same people mucking about, they would just happen to be under a different religious umbrella that still has markedly-similar practices.

WI: Nintendo Willing To Promote Major Characters besides Mario

In actual history, Nintendo has had a policy of no one but Mario as getting major company promotion. That's why Mario is the spokesman and is everywhere, but you don't see Zelda or Donkey Kong or any of those other major characters, in spite of the fact that they are major in themselves.

Pete Best's mother won the money to buy her house where she'd open the Casbah Club in Liverpool betting on a horse called "Never Say Die"; a long shot of 30 to 1 or so odds. The club opened in 1959, that's where John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison met Pete Best, and Best became their drummer and the Casbah Club was actually where they played together even before the Cavern Club. Two major events from that minor, minor thing: one, the Beatles don't end up playing a major venue in their early days, and two, Pete Best doesn't meet John, Paul and George, and doesn't become a drummer in the band. For want of one bet on one horse, that all changes.
The Casbah Club doesn't just affect the Beatles. The Casbah Club was huge, and all the major Liverpool acts played there and it gave a venue for the new bands. They could play there, and if they didn't do so great they could rehearse and come back and play again and when the crowd loved them, they'd get more bookings. So without it, you affect all those bands that rose to great heights in Liverpool and affect the scene in Liverpool, and obviously many of those bands made it big in England and in the world.

Goes to show even the smallest thing, like sneezing or losing a pencil, could affect history.

Linguist Gustaf John Ramstedt isn't appointed as Finland's Chargé d'affaires to Japan in 1919. Thus he doesn't get interested in Korean language and write his book A Korean Grammar. This means that when the Korean War starts there doesn't exist any easy-to-use basic guides to Korean language for English speakers.

Linguist Gustaf John Ramstedt isn't appointed as Finland's Chargé d'affaires to Japan in 1919. Thus he doesn't get interested in Korean language and write his book A Korean Grammar. This means that when the Korean War starts there doesn't exist any easy-to-use basic guides to Korean language for English speakers.

One pretty interesting effect for this comes immediately to mind. As the Finnish representative in Japan, Ramstedt took great pains to inform the host government about the Åland issue and managed to make the Japanese to sympathise with the Finnish position. And in the LoN arbitration Japan's vocal support for Finland carried some weight to help Finland to keep the islands.

So if your POD means Japan does not support Finland or even works to help Sweden, it might also result in a Swedish Åland post-1921.

Some more minor music POD's:

• Iggy Pop joins The Doors as a vocalist
  • John Lydon becomes the vocalist of Devo
  • Kurt Cobain leaves Nirvana on the In Utero tour
  • Anthony Kiedis is successful in his audition for 'American Hot Wax' and finds more movie roles as a result
  • Hillel Slovak kicks his drug habit
  • The Beatles replace Ringo during his illness in 1964
  • The Nymphs retain their major label backing
  • Jah Wobble replaces Glen Matlock in the Sex Pistols

How about Mustaine not getting kicked out of Metallica? I'm sure a minor POD could be utilized in their early days, leading to huge changes in how Metal developed through the 80s and 90s.

• Joni Mitchell never gives up her daughter for adoption (that butterflies away my favourite song 'Little Green'... damn)
  • The Beatles release The White Album as a single album (Primal Colours?)
  • Fight become a bigger success (this butterflies away Russ Parrish joining Steel Panther as Satchel)
  • Mudhoney join a major label
  • Pink Floyd stick with Syd Barrett and release 'Vegetable Man' as a single. Their music becomes more psychosis-induced Psychedelia.
  • Brian Epstein doesn't die.
  • Jeff Buckley doesn't die.
  • Jim Morrison leaves The Doors earlier and becomes a well respected poet in the 70's.
  • Big Star join a label that actually gives them the backing they deserve.
  • Rhys Ifans remains as the singer for Super Furry Animals.
  • Courtney Love remains as the singer for Faith No More.
  • Eric Clapton sticks with a band for more than one album.

Andy Kaufman reappears in 2004 after faking his deathh in '84.

A major comedian, anti-comedian, sitcom star and 70s/80s celebrity faking his own death, doing so successfully for 20 years, and then returning and having to deal with 20 years of not having paid taxes and the massive IRS lawsuit is not a minor POD.