Europa Universalis III

It almost certainly is, you just aren't looking in the right place. Where did you install the game to? It's a known bug/feature of Windows that if you install the game to Program Files, it will not allow the program to write data to its install folder, but instead sets up a hidden folder in your User folder to trick the software into thinking it's doing so without breaking anything.

This was intended to reduce the risk of badly designed software hosing the Program Files folder or malicious software doing the same. More recently, Paradox has been following best practices and writing data to folders in your User folder (aka My Documents), but at the time not so much. The upside is if you enable the view hidden folders feature in Explorer and poke around your My Documents/Users folder, you'll almost certainly find the screenshots you've taken (and your saved games).

Interesting. I've poked around before and not found them, but that doesn't mean they're not there. Do the screenshot files have a particular extension that I could maybe search for?

How did Sardinia and Naples remain outside your grasp? Considering you control the remainder of Italy, I would think at some point would have annexed those two.

Italy was one of my last acquisitions. I had to focus on the mainland first. I would have liked to pick up Sardinia, Sicily, and Malta, but I just ran out of time.

Interesting. I've poked around before and not found them, but that doesn't mean they're not there. Do the screenshot files have a particular extension that I could maybe search for?

I don't know. I've been installing my games to C:\Games\... for ages, so I don't have this problem, and I don't recall exactly what the relevant path is.

Installed it into C:\Europa Universalis III and it now works like a charm. :D

As for the screenshots, there should be a screenshots folder within the Main folder itself where they are normally stored. Once inside, if there is nothing, check to see if there is an option to show additional files (I forget what the function is called), which should reveal them.

Zounds! I've finally discovered the screenshots folder! Here's the end of my latest campaign as Castille/Spain. Note how few colonies there are in the Americas by 1821.

EU3_MAP_SPA_1820.12.31_1_small.png

EU3_MAP_SPA_1820.12.31_1_small.png

Last edited:
And here's a closeup on my nation at game's end. I had to shrink the image to fit it as an attachment. As you can see, I was very popular by that point.

EU3_6.png

EU3_6.png

I wonder what it would have taken IRL for the Europeans to go "Oh, cool, there's this whole new world." and then just go, "Nah, not worth the time and effort to colonize", and how native societies would evolve with contact with Europe but without conquest by Europe - or, at least, not in the "Age of Colonialism" (which I'll define as roughly 1500-1800).

Anyone know of any TLs with that premise? I'm honestly curious.

I wonder what it would have taken IRL for the Europeans to go "Oh, cool, there's this whole new world." and then just go, "Nah, not worth the time and effort to colonize", and how native societies would evolve with contact with Europe but without conquest by Europe - or, at least, not in the "Age of Colonialism" (which I'll define as roughly 1500-1800).

Anyone know of any TLs with that premise? I'm honestly curious.

There was also very limited European colonization of Africa and none in Asia or the Pacific.

I suppose what you describe could happen if there were a powerful enemy encroaching on their territory that were to draw their attention away from the Americas and focus it on mere survival. If the common foe also had no interest in the Americas, then contact may take place but not necessarily conquest, as you describe. Of course, I was that foe in that campaign, but in reality, perhaps the Ottomans could serve in that role. Alternately, a natural disaster which wrecks Europe might suffice, although engineering a realistic one which doesn't wreck everywhere else is nigh impossible.

This is related to the "holy grail" I sought when I first got into AH -- I wanted to write a story wherein Europe was devastated by a deadlier Black Death, sparing the Native American civs from wholesale conquest and leading to world dominated by Eastern and Middle Eastern civilizations. When I found I couldn't have a deadlier plague wreck Europe without wrecking the rest of the Old World, I looked for other ways to accomplish the same thing. My next plan was a meteor strike in Greenland during the time of the Black Death which temporarily disrupted the North Atlantic Current, creating a "Black Winter" that severely exacerbated the pandemic. This was admittedly far-fetched, so my next plan was a political one. By this point I was even more out of my league, but with help from Falastur (a member here), we worked out a way in which the death of the Pope and some cardinals due to the Plague could lead to a series of devastating "Papal Wars" across Europe. This in turn could leave the Christian powers more susceptible to invasion by the Ottomans, who could overrun Europe and make it a backwater of civilization. In all plans, the idea was to later expose the Native American civs to Old World diseases and technology via low-level contact with Arab merchants.

Unfortunately, the nuts and bolts of the final plan (i.e., historical European politics) were and are well beyond the scope of my knowledge. Coupled with the fact that I discovered several published AH works which had already dealt with the same subject (using handwavium :mad:), this resulted in my giving up the project. :(

Krall

Banned
There was also very limited European colonization of Africa and none in Asia or the Pacific.

I suppose what you describe could happen if there were a powerful enemy encroaching on their territory that were to draw their attention away from the Americas and focus it on mere survival. If the common foe also had no interest in the Americas, then contact may take place but not necessarily conquest, as you describe. Of course, I was that foe in that campaign, but in reality, perhaps the Ottomans could serve in that role. Alternately, a natural disaster which wrecks Europe might suffice, although engineering a realistic one which doesn't wreck everywhere else is nigh impossible.

This is related to the "holy grail" I sought when I first got into AH -- I wanted to write a story wherein Europe was devastated by a deadlier Black Death, sparing the Native American civs from wholesale conquest and leading to world dominated by Eastern and Middle Eastern civilizations. When I found I couldn't have a deadlier plague wreck Europe without wrecking the rest of the Old World, I looked for other ways to accomplish the same thing. My next plan was a meteor strike in Greenland during the time of the Black Death which temporarily disrupted the North Atlantic Current, creating a "Black Winter" that severely exacerbated the pandemic. This was admittedly far-fetched, so my next plan was a political one. By this point I was even more out of my league, but with help from Falastur (a member here), we worked out a way in which the death of the Pope and some cardinals due to the Plague could lead to a series of devastating "Papal Wars" across Europe. This in turn could leave the Christian powers more susceptible to invasion by the Ottomans, who could overrun Europe and make it a backwater of civilization. In all plans, the idea was to later expose the Native American civs to Old World diseases and technology via low-level contact with Arab merchants.

Unfortunately, the nuts and bolts of the final plan (i.e., historical European politics) were and are well beyond the scope of my knowledge. Coupled with the fact that I discovered several published AH works which had already dealt with the same subject (using handwavium :mad:), this resulted in my giving up the project. :(

I'm pretty sure that's the "Holy Grail" of many AH.commers. I had a long discussion quite recently about how it could be achieved, with my idea being that Europe and China's situations be switched - the Chinese Empire falls apart due to barbarian migrations from Central and Northern Asia, whilst Europe stays a mostly unified and centralised empire. The result being that the resulting Chinese countries industrialise first, because they need to in order to compete with European production. I never figured out a plausible way to bring about such a situation, though. :p