"Now Blooms the Tudor Rose."

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will simply add that Edward is as puzzled by this as you are...

gonna be awesome to see how it plays out when Henry gets word of it

also, though of a nickname for Diane..."The Lady Michelangelo"...not named for the guys artistic talent, but for his love of marble x3

Wow the German Hapsburgs have really suffered an astonishing run of bad luck. Every time they've rolled the dice it's come up snake eyes. Still I suspect it will be turning around for them soon, they do still control a hell of a lot of land, people and resources and they have to get lucky at some point.

I absolutely love TTL! :D
Nice to see Catherine Howard strike again.
I'm feeling kinda sorry for the Habsburgs now, but I suppose things could be worse. Somehow.

Great update. Confused Diane de la Marck with Diane de Poitiers originally, registered how disgusted I was, and kept reading in interest.

Realized de la Marck was the granddaughter this morning, and was duly relieved.

This TL is fantastic! I can't help but hope Diane and Edward get a happy ending :D (and Ferdinand II too, because really, poor guy...).

You actually managed to update prior to end of 2012! That keeps you 450 years ahead of your timeline! Congratulations :D

For in 1562, a great many issues in Europe came to a head, amplified by the Second Schmakaldic War, and amplifying it in turn. Religious strife in France--the First Originalist Revolt of Ireland--the Baltic Wars--these events were not dependent on each other--but they interacted, creating an atmosphere of chaos and instability. Some monarchs, like Ferdinand or Henri Valois, floundered in this--others, such as Philip of Spain, or Henry and Mary of Britain[2], simply tightened their grip..."
There are two significant points in this passage - one very good and one very bad, both of which I've highlighted.

Space Oddity said:
Henri II, seeing that Paris is quieting down, finishes the job by returning to the city with his Scottish Guard in tow, and beseeching the people to end the violence as they love him. Whatever his many, many, MANY flaws as a king, Henri most certainly looks the part, and that's enough to get most Parisians to stop their urgent business smashing up the houses of those they don't like. Indeed, in a short while, they are cheering him on as he returns to the Louvre, and agreeing that things got a little out of hand.
If 1562 can be said to be a good year for anyone, prodigal son excepted, I would have to say it's Henri II. He looks like a King again!

Space Oddity said:
Still, in the face of such hostility, there is little he can do. Cardinal de Lorraine resigns his post in government, and retires to Reims, to minister to his 'little flock' as he calls them. Huguenots widely applaud the loss of their highest ranking, most dedicated ally in the government, in what will be an ongoing policy of alienating everyone in France who's not a Huguenot, and imagining that somehow this is helping them.
I worry about France. Every country has its token Only Sane Man, and they just shunted theirs.

Space Oddity said:
And so John Knox takes his show on the road, talking to congregations and warning them of the upcoming LIBERTINE plot to destroy true religion in Scotland. Of course, Knox realizes that he's going to need more than an angry Scottish mob to block this--he'll need an angry Scottish mob and a reason to get the Lords to see that they should block this. And he thinks he got just the thing to do the job.
Is this, finally, what we've been waiting for? That for which we've been told to prepare ourselves? THE DISPUTE OF THE HYMNALS?!

Space Oddity said:
The second leg of de Villegaigon's journey is, thankfully, uneventful, and so by the end of the year, he is setting up his new colony in the bay the Portuguese call "Rio de Janeiro", complete with a new fort dubbed "Fort St. Dominic" by the rather disgruntled Catholics who make up the bulk of the colony's population. De Villegaigon settles down to the busy work of gathering brazilwood, making trade deals with the local Indian tribes, and basically ensuring "St. Dominic" is a viable colony.
So they did find themselves at Rio de Janiero after all! We'll see how long they have to settle before the Portuguese come calling...

Space Oddity said:
Edward Tudor issues forth to collect the poor Jacques de Cleves body, as well as the cannonballs the battery fired. Those damn things are expensive. St. Denis is also gathered, and quickly redubbed St. George, an appropriate name, Edward notes, as the cannon was forged in Genoa. (This comment recieves baffled stares from his soldiers, causing the Duke to wonder why no one ever gets his jokes.)
Even more so than his cool under pressure in the face of death, I feel that this passage best personifies Edward Tudor, Duke of York.

Space Oddity said:
And so, it should surprise no one that she's now pregnant. But, to those who are looking askance at her, Princess Antoinette says that she has not been indulging in hanky-panky--she is... wait for it... MARRIED! Yes, at the beginning of the year, in secret, to Gabriel de Lorges, Count of Montgommery, and Captain of the Scots Guard[12]. Montgommery, when questioned, confirms this to be the case--he is Antoinette's husband, and the father to her unborn child.
You know, this going to make her marrying the Earl of Lennox much more difficult ;)

Space Oddity said:
(And more legalistically, it's questioned if Antoinette is even technically a Princess anymore, as both the English and Scottish Thrones declare that she and her issue have been removed from the succession.)
I assume that this would be necessary on the part of England because Henry IX passed an Act confirming his wife's place on the Succession, and therefore, those in her line of descent from Henry VII? Or was no Act passed in the first place that excluded the children of Margaret Tudor? In Scotland, obviously, Antoinette marrying without the permission of her sister would be enough to remove her issue from the succession - fortunately, we know that an act excluding her won't be tested ITTL.

Space Oddity said:
And so, with that out of the way, the Elector of Saxony proceeds to start endearing himself to the Bohemians by attending Hussite services, with the Electress and his son in tow. He also works on soothing his wife's slightly hurt feelings at having her plan put on the backburner, by reminding her that she is the best damn wife in the entire Reich, as far he's concerned. Really, these are happy days for the Elector. He is fairly certain that things will be resolving themselves shortly, leaving him free to enjoy life, and maybe smash the Turk. John Frederick is at heart a man of small ambitions--he merely wants to be the greatest Protestant Prince in the Empire, the champion of Lutheranism, and the sword of God. Nothing to elaborate, when you get down to it.
And he could use more children. He just lost one, he needs to make up for that with making another! The Electress is still under 30, no time like the present!

Space Oddity said:
He exits the chapel, closing the door with a loud slam. Diane turns back to the coffin and begins to sob on it. Suddenly, the door opens again. Diane turns, blinking. Edward reenters the chapel, strides up to her, takes her by the shoulders, and pulls her in for a passionate kiss. The pair move backwards, with Diane winding up leaning on the coffin. There is a rustling of cloth and...
This dramatization is just like IOTL with Elizabeth and Leicester, always having to make everything explicit.

Also: Edward has a libido! I never would have guessed that! No, seriously, I honestly thought he was asexual (or at least aromantic), as I'm sure many of us did.

Space Oddity said:
A secondary attack will occur in Trondelag--already, governor Eric Rosencrantz of Bergenhus gathers his troops and thousands of impressed peasants to attack the Swedish King's small force in Trondheim.
Are you sure he's not from Elsinore? And where is Governor Guildenstern? :D

Space Oddity said:
As Denmark and Sweden prepare for what will be known as 'the Long Northern War', Frederick takes what solace he can from a simple fact--Denmark is far richer than its foe, and should be able to outlast Sweden in any protracted struggle. Given time, he can doubtless reverse Eric's gains, and possibly make some of his own.
A war of attrition! Those always end well :rolleyes:

Space Oddity said:
After some debate, Parlement decides that this is probably legal, BUT that Henri should consult with the Estates General before taking such a step, which they emphasize is exceedingly momentous. Henri thanks them and proceeds to call for an Estates General next year so he can do just that. In the meantime, he starts referring to Ercule-Francois as the Dauphin. Just to get people... used to it. Also, he's engaging him to Renatta. So that he doesn't have to send Charles de Lorraine back the dowry.
So they're having the late Heir Apparent's widow marry the new Heir Apparent (pending legislation). That sounds familiar to me... didn't somebody try that, and run into a whole lot of trouble once? Well, at least they've apparently confirmed that la Dauphine is still a virgin. (I assume that somebody bothered to actually record that somewhere.)

But the good news is that there's going to be another Estates-General! One without an OTL analogue, this time. That's a very nice precedent.

Space Oddity said:
Lord Admiral Dudley prepares to take off for the city of Cork, England's one remaining stronghold in Ireland. His army is well-equipped and fairly large for an expedition into Ireland--Dudley is fairly certain it will make quick work of Shane O'Neill's Irish rabble. King Henry arrives to see it off, and awards the Lord Admiral with a new title for 'his many great services to the crown'--henceforth, John Dudley shall be--in addition to his previous titles of Viscount Lisle and Earl of Westmorland and Leicester--the Duke of Buckingham.
Well, he got a Duchy IOTL, as well, so it's not too surprising - but some people collect titles the way others collect coins or stamps.

Space Oddity said:
--Christmas in Spain. The celebration is joyous this year, the Spanish House of Hapsburg has much to celebrate--Queen Maria and Princess Elizabeth are both pregnant again. Charles is jokingly suggesting he and his father serve as godparents to the others' child, a jest Philip does not appreciate.
Interesting that Elizabeth is with child again, when we note another royal couple, who married before them, and are still awaiting a second pregnancy.

Space Oddity said:
Of course, Philip proceeds to demonstrate while this is futile hope by announcing that, naturally, with all these pregnancies in the family, he's going to have stay in Madrid. As Charles proceeds to win an awful lot of money, the attention turns to the Duke of Alba, who is pleased to announce he's gathered a large company of dedicated Spaniards, and is preparing to go to Naples, and gather an equally large company of dedicated Neapolitans, all to crush the heretics in the Empire. Philip is glad to hear it. True, things look bad for his family now--but they've bounced back before.
I'm increasingly looking forward to seeing how Cawwos takes over from Philip - I know that (assuming he dies on schedule) we still have thirty-five years to go, but I strongly suspect that critiquing how another man rules, and actually ruling for yourself, require two considerably different skillsets.

Space Oddity said:
Christmas in England. It's being celebrated at a much later date then Spain, because remember, they aren't buying this whole Pietian Calender thing. Edward, Duke of York, is back, his return having been celebrated with fetes and parades, and songs being sung of the 'Man of Marble', the 'Second Black Prince'.
The "Man of Marble" nickname actually makes a lot more sense now - and it made sense before anyway. Well done :)

Space Oddity said:
In the midst of all this praise, one subject does NOT come up--Diane de la Marck, who Edward has quietly installed in his apartments, and even introduced to his children. (Little Barbara is enchanted--little Edgar is... not.)
Is this a sign of general friction between Edward and his son? Perhaps Edgar takes after his father in that regard?

Space Oddity said:
No, no, Edward is certain that Henry will, given time and the right amount of prompting, see his way to letting his brother marry his French lady-love. After all, he owes Edward this much.
And even their tyrannical father allowed his sister to marry the man she loved. Granted, said man was his best friend, but still.

Space Oddity said:
The King of England and Queen of Scots are left wondering what all this means.
But not before they conceive more children of their own, to secure their thrones! Come on, Tudor fecundity, now isn't the time to slow down!

Oh well, there's always 1563. Here's hoping that it's a better year! (2013, too :))

I don't think Eddie will have to much trouble, his big brother needs him, he's all ready produced a very noble heir and she's hardly a threat.

The bad news is I've become deeply confused by all of the German names and can't remember who's who.

The good news is that this TL is so damn good I've started re-reading the whole thing from the start to get me less confused. Am 1/3 of the way done so far...

Still eventually this thing is going to have to have a wiki page for each dynasty.

I been thinking of taking another month off...

angry.gif

An truly excellent timeline to date, I look forward to future updates. I do have a small comment/request - due to the length of the posts, it's actually not that easy to scroll down to the footnotes and back up again, so I wonder if you might consider some alternative way of setting them out?

GREAT update, as usual and as expected!!!!

It's eye-opening to see the Austrian Habsburgs taking such hits! And, LOOK AT FRANCE!!!! At the verge of a religious understanding taking shape???

Simply put.......................: WOW!!!

GREAT update, as usual and as expected!!!!

It's eye-opening to see the Austrian Habsburgs taking such hits! And, LOOK AT FRANCE!!!! At the verge of a religious understanding taking shape???

Simply put.......................: WOW!!!

Now now, let's not underestimate Henri's, radical Huguenots' or reactionary Catholics' (my bet is on these) ability to ruin everything.

Space Oddity I love you so much. :D

Catholic mass in the vernacular? Oh my. Despite the Cathars collectively dooming themselves, I'm still thinking that some folks are going to balk at all this. After all, things still aren't at maximum potential clusterf*ck levels. More chaos! More characters!

...I can't even begin to respond to that whole update, but on the topic of Sweden: You're going to give Erik hell, right? Could a certain person named Magnus play any part in this? ;)

Now now, let's not underestimate Henri's, radical Huguenots' or reactionary Catholics' (my bet is on these) ability to ruin everything.

You're quite right, of course! My breath was taken away for just a few moments there.......

I'll, . . . I'll go lay down until the excitement passes.......

(LOVE that the Austrian Habsburg are momentarily screwed as well!) LOL!

I love the update, especially Princess Antoinette's secret marriage and the fact that Poland-Lithuania holds up...

Space Oddity

Well that was a thud of an update. Just checking is there anywhere in Europe, other than Spain or parts of Italy, not at war?

We now know Antoinette's husband and its not the long term favourite. Unless of course something happens to her current husband. Since she's rather fulfilling her OTL sister's role I could see her getting through a few.;)

I hadn't noticed the point Brainbin raised about this being the First Originalist rebellion, which as he says doesn't bode well. :(

I suspect while he might be right in terms of Knox being a major factor in the long threatened dispute of the Hymnals, I did notice hymnal is the term used to describe Norfolk's latest work so I'm wondering whether that might be the initial trigger.;)

Difficult to see the Hapsburg's coming back from this annuous horribious, especially without a clear and strong [rational] leader to mobilise their support. Did consider briefly that Maria might do something but she only managed to alienate several more allies and throw away a golden opportunity. However I have the feeling they will find some way to rebound. [Although possibly as a predominantly non-German power].

The Wettin's seem to be having an attack of strategic vision, although how long it will last I don't know. Especially since Elizabeth is less than happy with the moderation shown.

Was wondering if the French Huguenot's were going to self-destruction as they seemed to be skilfully removing all their best supporters but the Cathar's are proving equally as successful at shooting themselves in the foot, or possibly somewhere a lot more painful. We do know that Henri of Orleans does become king, if I remember rightly, so presumably the attempt to cut him out of the inheritance will fail.

Otherwise chaos and confusion as normal.

Another excellent update, now what the hell's going on?:confused:

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.