Noravea's Big Map and Flag Emporium

Welcome to Noravea's Map Emporium, where all of the maps I have made on AH.com will be displayed for your viewing, and for an easy place for me to retrieve them from rather than going back into five different Map threads to collect all of my maps. Comments, criticisms, and appraisals are all welcome, and to start us all off, there will be a few maps that some of you have seen before, but will be here for easy reference.

Along with that though, there will be flags as well, flags which I have designed for some TLs that never got off the ground.

To start you off...

Map of New York (Completed May 26th, 2012):

Founded in the 1894-1896 War of Independence, New York has had three major distinct governments during its existence. The first was the First Republic of New York, which existed from 1894 to 1897. It was the provisional government during the War of Independence time period largely governed by Archibald Gracie IV and Grover Cleveland during the War of Independence, and later controlled by Theodore Roosevelt during its final months. Following the 1896 Presidential election, the First Republic was dissolved in favor of a more permanent Confederation of regions across New York. Theodore Roosevelt became the First President of New York from 1897 to 1905, and the Confederation would continue to exist from 1897 up until 2011.

New York started off with what we recognize now as New York State. However, regions were soon added in time. In 1904, the Independent State of Connecticut, a region in legal limbo, was added to New York after a long legal battle between New York and New England. While a plan was initially in place for New York and New England to split Connecticut along the Connecticut River, New York came in militarily in the last minute and took over the entire region. The brief Connecticut War took place, where New York crushed New England's expeditionary force into Connecticut, forcing them to recognize Connecticut as part of New York. New England would eventually come to terms with the loss, and an alliance between New York and New England would begin in 1914, an alliance that would last up until the modern day.

The addition of Northern New Jersey came in several stages. While the First Great War from 1916 to 1919 played a big part in New York gaining de facto control over all of New Jersey, only counties that bordered New York City would actually be annexed to New York in the aftermath of the war in 1920. The rest of New Jersey would be placed under control of Woodrow Wilson starting in 1917 when the State of New Jersey was entirely subjected to New York's rule. Following the death of Woodrow Wilson, who was the first President of the independent New Jersey, New York annexed more and more of Northern New Jersey, and eventually reduced New Jersey into a protectorate known as South Jersey, a government that would exist into the modern day. The region between the Delaware and Susquehanna Rivers would be under New York's de facto control until 1936, and would again come under her control in 1945 and would continue to be ruled until 1964.

The Confederation of New York came to an end in 2011 when the National Revolution overthrew the corrupt Popular Front government that has ruled the country since 2005. The Second Republic of New York was established in October 2011, and would continue to exist into the modern day after a historically close 2012 Presidential election, where the 24th President of New York was re-elected after a year and a half in the most uncertain period in national history. New York has normalized relations with all of her neighbors, and is a founding member of the Atlantic Union, consisting of New York, New England, Vermont, New Hampshire, Canada, the United Maritime Provinces, Greenland, Iceland, Ireland, South Jersey, the United Kingdom, Morocco, Liberia, and South Africa, who all use the Atlantic Dollar, one of the most powerful currencies in the world.

new_york_map_final_version_by_garudateam-d51bgs4.png

Because the map thread is an insane mess where you can't find anything ?

Anyway Noravea, your map is awesome ! What techniques did you use (programs, sources ?) ?

I used Photoshop entirely. As for the base map, I kind of made a "Frankenbase" as I call it, where I mixed together around a dozen different base maps for reference.

Welcome to Noravea's Map Emporium, where all of the maps I have made on AH.com will be displayed for your viewing, and for an easy place for me to retrieve them from rather than going back into five different Map threads to collect all of my maps. Comments, criticisms, and appraisals are all welcome, and to start us all off, there will be a few maps that some of you have seen before, but will be here for easy reference.

Along with that though, there will be flags as well, flags which I have designed for some TLs that never got off the ground.

To start you off...

Map of New York (Completed May 26th, 2012):

Founded in the 1894-1896 War of Independence, New York has had three major distinct governments during its existence. The first was the First Republic of New York, which existed from 1894 to 1897. It was the provisional government during the War of Independence time period largely governed by Archibald Gracie IV and Grover Cleveland during the War of Independence, and later controlled by Theodore Roosevelt during its final months. Following the 1896 Presidential election, the First Republic was dissolved in favor of a more permanent Confederation of regions across New York. Theodore Roosevelt became the First President of New York from 1897 to 1905, and the Confederation would continue to exist from 1897 up until 2011.

New York started off with what we recognize now as New York State. However, regions were soon added in time. In 1904, the Independent State of Connecticut, a region in legal limbo, was added to New York after a long legal battle between New York and New England. While a plan was initially in place for New York and New England to split Connecticut along the Connecticut River, New York came in militarily in the last minute and took over the entire region. The brief Connecticut War took place, where New York crushed New England's expeditionary force into Connecticut, forcing them to recognize Connecticut as part of New York. New England would eventually come to terms with the loss, and an alliance between New York and New England would begin in 1914, an alliance that would last up until the modern day.

The addition of Northern New Jersey came in several stages. While the First Great War from 1916 to 1919 played a big part in New York gaining de facto control over all of New Jersey, only counties that bordered New York City would actually be annexed to New York in the aftermath of the war in 1920. The rest of New Jersey would be placed under control of Woodrow Wilson starting in 1917 when the State of New Jersey was entirely subjected to New York's rule. Following the death of Woodrow Wilson, who was the first President of the independent New Jersey, New York annexed more and more of Northern New Jersey, and eventually reduced New Jersey into a protectorate known as South Jersey, a government that would exist into the modern day. The region between the Delaware and Susquehanna Rivers would be under New York's de facto control until 1936, and would again come under her control in 1945 and would continue to be ruled until 1964.

The Confederation of New York came to an end in 2011 when the National Revolution overthrew the corrupt Popular Front government that has ruled the country since 2005. The Second Republic of New York was established in October 2011, and would continue to exist into the modern day after a historically close 2012 Presidential election, where the 24th President of New York was re-elected after a year and a half in the most uncertain period in national history. New York has normalized relations with all of her neighbors, and is a founding member of the Atlantic Union, consisting of New York, New England, Vermont, New Hampshire, Canada, the United Maritime Provinces, Greenland, Iceland, Ireland, South Jersey, the United Kingdom, Morocco, Liberia, and South Africa, who all use the Atlantic Dollar, one of the most powerful currencies in the world.

Interesting! Can you say what the borders of the (seemingly existant) USA are, and how "united" they really are? Is there any communist/Juche state to it's west, or any white supremacist to Nazi state in the south?

Interesting! Can you say what the borders of the (seemingly existant) USA are, and how "united" they really are? Is there any communist/Juche state to it's west, or any white supremacist to Nazi state in the south?

The United States controls everything but Texas, the northeast (Except Pennsylvania) Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, California, Alaska, and Hawaii. Cascadia is de facto Independent, but isn't recognized by most countries in the world.

Most of the countries that are made up of the areas that were formerly US territories could be described as being in some cases on European levels of liberal, particularly New York, New England, Vermont, and California. The United States is further to the left than it is today as well.

The only Juche style state was North California, which existed from 1946 to 1998.

Map of Noravea (Completed October 24th, 2012):

This is the fantasy world, or a portion of the fantasy world that is the origin of my user name. I have spent the last 4.5 years working on Noravea and its history, as well as of the neighboring countries in this world. I guess you can say that it is completely modern (Similar to Ace Combat), and this particular country Noravea is a minor power on the continent of Ouranos. It has a population of 28 million people, and started off as a colony of the Vesperian and Teutonian Empires, uniting into one nation in the late 18th century, and finally becoming fully independent in the late 19th century. Since I'm still working on a dating system in regards to years, I will be using those terms from now on.

The largest city is Carinthal, which has 2.5 million people in the city proper, but 5-6 million in the metropolitan area. Carinthal is also the capital of Noravea, and translates to "Pure Forest" due to the areas pristine forests that once took up what is now the city. Even though much of the pristine forest is gone, much of the countryside surrounding the city still can hold of the reputation of being hilly, forested, and even mountainous in the rest of the region, a contrast to the largely flat fertile valley that is just inland in Pomorum, Derby, and Aiona, the breadbasket of the country.

The north's environment varies greatly. The coast is hilly, yet pristine from the north to the south. Three major mountain ranges exist, the Breton Mountains running along the entire northwestern border, the Eridano Mountains in the Eridanus region, and the Central Mountains running along the rest of the western border. The northern inland region is very flat, forested, and filled with farmland that gives it the name "Breadbasket of Noravea". Spread throughout the north are farm towns and industrial towns dispersed indiscriminately.

The south is largely mountainous, with some parts of the mountain range even reaching the coastline. As a result, the south is largely the home to a massive fishing industry and tourism industry, with most towns and cities either being very new. The south saw a big population boom recently, with it previously holding only 1/10th of the population rather than 1/4th, largely due to people being able to afford living in the region with being able to have a livelihood.

map_of_noravea_by_garudateam-d5iyt61.png