Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

Hopefully the movement to set term limits and popular election of Province representatives will prohibit such potential abuse of power that may be implied by such organization.

Hopefully, though again, I find it amusing that all that part is is a replication of how IOTL the Canadian Senate was established (there is also the House of Lords, many of whom are born into the position and serve for life).

Glen,

I have a question; was there any mention on where and when the Scots-Irish would immigrate to after the POD? I seem to recall seeing such a thing, but with all the detail in a TL like this I can't be too sure. If it's there, would most of them have gone to the USA or DSA by the 19th century?

Not so much the Scots-Irish as the Scots, and the Irish. The Scots-Irish are a different matter entirely. In fact, that is worth a whole update!
EDIT - I take it back, I did in fact already mention it as 'Protestant Irish', though there is a bit of a difference....

Last edited:
Hopefully, though again, I find it amusing that all that part is is a replication of how IOTL the Canadian Senate was established (there is also the House of Lords, many of whom are born into the position and serve for life).

Indeed; apparently some things are beyond any reasonable POD, established trends of govt. included.

Not so much the Scots-Irish as the Scots, and the Irish. The Scots-Irish are a different matter entirely. In fact, that is worth a whole update!
EDIT - I take it back, I did in fact already mention it as 'Protestant Irish', though there is a bit of a difference....

I see. The reason I ask is I'm trying to determine whether or not I'd come from above or below The Border (assuming I'm even born, although from what I've seen in my family history there's no certainty I'd be butterflied).

Glen

Indeed; apparently some things are beyond any reasonable POD, established trends of govt. included.

Well, you have to think about what the context of the times are, and what they have to go by as models.

I see. The reason I ask is I'm trying to determine whether or not I'd come from above or below The Border (assuming I'm even born, although from what I've seen in my family history there's no certainty I'd be butterflied).

When did your Scots-Irish come to the US? Obviously if it was before the POD that is likely where they stayed. After the ARW ITTL, what Scots-Irish hadn't already been alienated by the English were likelier to go to British Southern America, though in the 18th century there probably were still some going to the USA. By the 19th century they were more likely to go BSA for sure (except during the actual fighting of the Slaver Rebellion, then they were more likely to go to the USA - safer).

Well, you have to think about what the context of the times are, and what they have to go by as models.

On that, we are in agreement.

When did your Scots-Irish come to the US? Obviously if it was before the POD that is likely where they stayed. After the ARW ITTL, what Scots-Irish hadn't already been alienated by the English were likelier to go to British Southern America, though in the 18th century there probably were still some going to the USA. By the 19th century they were more likely to go BSA for sure (except during the actual fighting of the Slaver Rebellion, then they were more likely to go to the USA - safer).

It's on my dad's side; they came to the New World in the 1820's- early 1830's from what I've been able to find out. Ditto for my mom's side, although they were English descended; both sides settled in the Appalachians by the late 1830s.

Glen

On that, we are in agreement.

It's on my dad's side; they came to the New World in the 1820's- early 1830's from what I've been able to find out. Ditto for my mom's side, although they were English descended; both sides settled in the Appalachians by the late 1830s.

Especially if you want to keep the bloodlines together in the same little pocket of Appalachia, your folks probably moved to British Southern America and live in the DSA now.

That's what I figured; not that having them stay in TTL's USA would be a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination. I just find that, given the more concentrated settlement of those mountains by BSA/DSA-bound folks, this turnout was more likely. The question is, which province would they end up in then? I'd think either Carleton or North Carolina personally, but then again maybe they struck out west. Butterflies, wonderful things they are :cool:

Glen

That's what I figured; not that having them stay in TTL's USA would be a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination. I just find that, given the more concentrated settlement of those mountains by BSA/DSA-bound folks, this turnout was more likely. The question is, which province would they end up in then? I'd think either Carleton or North Carolina personally, but then again maybe they struck out west. Butterflies, wonderful things they are :cool:

They are. Where were they OTL and where did they go?

OTL they were pretty much within a triangle, with Parkersburg, Bridgeport and Charleston being the corners. A few went struck out for Lexington, KY Virginia Beach/Hampton Roads, VA and Memphis, TN as well, but the bulk stayed pretty much in that geographical area.

EDIT: I was born in Clarksburg, but lived in the Tidewater of VA while growing up, FWIW. All the above I mentioned happened way back when.

Last edited:

Glen

OTL they were pretty much within a triangle, with Parkersburg, Bridgeport and Charleston being the corners. A few went struck out for Lexington, KY Virginia Beach/Hampton Roads, VA and Memphis, TN as well, but the bulk stayed pretty much in that geographical area.

EDIT: I was born in Clarksburg, but lived in the Tidewater of VA while growing up, FWIW. All the above I mentioned happened way back when.

Well, they could have ended up in that area still meaning USA or I would guess would go North Carolina then Carleton if DSA.

That's about what I figured, I couldn't see them ending up in West Florida, for instance.

On a different tack, how exactly is the DSA's military set up? We've seen snippets of the Sable Legion, the Southron American Rangers, etc. but how strong are they by the end of the Global War, in Army and Naval terms?

Glen

That's about what I figured, I couldn't see them ending up in West Florida, for instance.

On a different tack, how exactly is the DSA's military set up? We've seen snippets of the Sable Legion, the Southron American Rangers, etc. but how strong are they by the end of the Global War, in Army and Naval terms?

Do you mean literally at the last hostilities, or in the peace that follows?

I was thinking more in the former, although the latter also sounds interesting (draw-downs are a pain no matter where you're from)

Glen

I was thinking more in the former, although the latter also sounds interesting (draw-downs are a pain no matter where you're from)

I do not have precise numbers but by the end of the war there were substantial infantry and even cavalry as indigenous outfits of the DSA. There were also some limited armor (mostly bought from the USA at favorable rates). A large number of Southrons were in the Royal Navy as well, though these were not organic units of the DSA.

I suppose that makes sense; an army (standing or not) is primarily a tactical asset, while a navy also has a strategic function. Still being attached to the Crown likely has established a sort of pecking order like that between the UK and its Dominions IOTL. The question then is, at what point does the DSA establish its own distinct military doctrine (if at all)?

Also, armor bought from the USA? I wonder how advanced/what their capabilities are, given both an earlier World War and (more importantly) their being developed by a relatively peaceful and neutral nation.

Glen

The 1870s and 1880s saw a number of cheap, escapist publications for the masses in the Western World. One of the most popular in the British Empire (and somewhat controversial) was the fictionalized, serialized adventures of the famed Anglo-African unit, the Sable Legion. After its explosive early days in North America and the Caribbean, the Sable Legion became a fixture in the British sphere of Africa, especially in West Africa and South Africa. One of their most famous exploits of this time was the 'Hunt for the Lion Men', a cannibal murder gang.

1929_The_Black_Watch_01.jpg

ADVENTURES OF THE SABLE LEGION

Glen

I suppose that makes sense; an army (standing or not) is primarily a tactical asset, while a navy also has a strategic function.

Indeed.

Still being attached to the Crown likely has established a sort of pecking order like that between the UK and its Dominions IOTL.

It does.

The question then is, at what point does the DSA establish its own distinct military doctrine (if at all)?

Military doctrine as opposed to independent TOE? Remains to be seen.

Also, armor bought from the USA? I wonder how advanced/what their capabilities are, given both an earlier World War and (more importantly) their being developed by a relatively peaceful and neutral nation.

The concepts underlying this steampunk-esque level of armor are not complicated, and basically the US companies are making them for the British (and yes, there is some cooperation there) for overseas deployment, and a few are being sent over ot the DSA.

Will American power be more constrained in its international actions here in TTL compared to ours?

Wait, is there a Monroe Doctrine analogue in TTL too?

The concepts underlying this steampunk-esque level of armor are not complicated, and basically the US companies are making them for the British (and yes, there is some cooperation there) for overseas deployment, and a few are being sent over ot the DSA.

Ah, so a joint project it is, then? That makes more sense. And it fits pretty good with your other "steampunk" innovations (e.g. airship development).

Glen

Will American power be more constrained in its international actions here in TTL compared to ours?

Only time will tell...

Wait, is there a Monroe Doctrine analogue in TTL too?

Not really, but it is understood that North America north of 36-30 is America's and the new world south of such is in the British sphere.