Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

British Antartica is quiet intresting idea. Just wondering, want something Southern American country take part for conquer of Antartica.

The only one in the position to do so is the UPSA and they are bound to Britain economically. They do send some explorers but never make a real claim. Recall that Southernmost South America is British.

Glen

Glen

Intriguing update. Could see Britain monopolising the continent although given its weather I suspect Lowe was amazingly lucky to only lose one airship. Even modern a/c have problems a lot of the time with the climate and their a lot more secure and reliable than airships. Although thinking about it I believe some use have been made of them in the past. [Got this memory of someone losing an airship down there, in the 20's or 30's I think?]

Steve

Yes he was lucky but he also prepared well. Believe that they capitalized on the brief period of 'good' weather and used a lot of air dropped supplies. The nice thing about airships are they can stay aloft long enough to follow the land expedition.

Glen

The Merina Kingdom had ruled over most of Madagascar for centuries. It was only in the 19th century, however, that European powers began to recognize the Merina king, Radama I, as overall lord of Madagascar. His widow, Ranavalona I, ruled as queen over all of Madagascar, but much to the chagrin of the Europeans, she held foreigners and foreign powers at arms length until her death in 1862. Radama II inherited the throne and was very different from his predecessors. Even before the death of his mother the queen, he had secretly taken instruction in Deism from American missionaries. Upon his ascension to the throne, he openly proclaimed his own religious beliefs, but rather than impose them upon his people, he proclaimed the principle of freedom of conscience to be the law of the land on the island. As part of this new freedom, he allowed missionaries from other nations such as Britain, France, Portugal, and America to prosetylize in Madagascar. He also allowed for foreigners to rent and purchase land on the island (though with heavy taxation). Eventually, some of the old guard felt endangered by Radama's reforms, and tried to stage a coup against him. However, Radama II had become popular among the people and was able to seek protection amongst them until the capital could be retaken by a joint Anglo-French mission. From that time forward Madagascar became a joint protectorate of France and Britain, but with Radama II ruling (granted, taxes on European land ownership were significantly reduced after the intervention).
King Radama II
397px-Radama_II_with_crown.jpg

fantastic to see this up and going again, I particularly liked the bit on madagascar.

the map is fun too, it's very...pink.

though I'm curious, have we covered how africa, uh, got that way? or is that still upcoming?

Glen

fantastic to see this up and going again,

Thank you.

I particularly liked the bit on madagascar.

Glad you liked it - it is fairly close to OTL until the mid 1800s, when it veers just a bit.

the map is fun too, it's very...pink.

I blame Antarctica!

though I'm curious, have we covered how africa, uh, got that way? or is that still upcoming?

We have covered the beginnings of it, but there is more to come. For now, let me just say that the borders in Africa do not represent unitary, governmental control of all the area 'assigned' to the power.

Ah, perfect, perfect!

You do realise this is going to cause a hell of a lot of confusion when the emperor/empress [forget what we have currently] refers to the citizens of our southern dominion.;) Not to mention the Ghurkas are no longer the shortest elite units in the imperial armies!

That is a hell of an Ottoman empire. Getting very deep into northern Africa. Is there actually any market there other than the historical one, which I would have hoped was largely defunct by now? Also is there a canal across Suez? Going to cause Britain some palpitations about India if there is as its definitely not in British control.

Not to mention Ethiopia has some strange boundaries. Having to go so far across Somalia to get a coastal boundary. Guessing its got good terms with Britain, possibly as protection against the Ottomans, since the borders there suggests that coastline is with agreement with Britain. [Presuming this is of course Ethiopia and not a very strange Somalia.;)]

Presuming the large patch in the NW is a greater Morocco? Britain failed to get a Cape to Cairo but does have a east-west route, for what little it would be worth. Is the Congo still independent and possibly also Madagascar, hence the white colouring?

Looks rather weird but then I suspect someone from the DSA universe would think the same of the colonial borders of our Africa 1900.

One other point. Probably mentioned in the text somewhere but too many TLs and too few working braincells left. I take it its just a coincidence that S Italy and the Ottoman empire look about the same colour?

Steve

I have just discovered this timeline.

You know, any timeline that links my beloved South with the British Empire is ultra-legit.

I absolutely love you for it. :D