TL-191 Map Thread

Here's a dedicated thread for members to collaborate on making maps for Turtledove's TL-191 series. I know there are quite a few skilled map-makers on AH.com, and that there are many fans of TL-191 here as well. So let's see what we can do together.

(A TL-191 map thread was created a few years ago, but I'd probably be kicked for bumping it. :rolleyes:)

While my cartographic skills are admittedly lacking, I'd like to see TL-191 world maps created in the style of SRegan's WWI and WWII map series for various points in time throughout the timeline. But any quality maps you'd like to contribute would be welcome.

Can we make 'alternate history' maps of TL-191? I.e., what we think the US 'should' have done after the first Great War?

A possible map of the Entente winning GW1 in North America.

Grey-CSA
Blue-USA
Red-British Empire/Canada

Sorry I don't know how to resize it to make it smaller.

North_america_blank_range_map-master - Copy.png

Good stuff so far, guys. Below is my work-in-progress copy of the world map for 1914, based on SRegan's 1914 map here. I'm aiming to simplify the map a bit (e.g., removing subdivisions from India and Germany, making all British colonies the same color, etc.), though there's more to do. I'd like to clear up the claim lines too.

The main changes, however, are the addition of the CSA (obviously), the merger of the Dakotas and NM/AZ, the loss of northern Maine to Canada, a Russian Alaska, and the transfer of US territories in the Pacific to the British. My basic assumption is to follow the Turtledovian practice of ignoring butterflies and leave the rest of the world outside North America as in OTL. If you know of any other changes from OTL that should be on the map, feel free to make them.

Ultimately, I'd like to see versions of the map for various points during the Great War, between the wars, and during the Second Great War. So let's get collaborating, folks.

TL-191 World Map 1914.png

TL-191 World Map 1914.png

This is a fairly rough 1919 map based off what I can remember. Someone can use this as a base for a better one.

TL-191[1].PNG

Last edited:
Does anyone know the states Republicans won in the 1944 election? I was thinking about making a map for that but forgot the exact states.

This is a fairly rough 1919 map based off what I can remember. Someone can use this as a base for a better one.

Very good work. Was your division of Eastern Europe based on canon? I know Poland and the Ukraine were mentioned as being German puppet states, but I don't remember anything about Finland, the Baltics, or Belarus. It would make sense that a victorious Austria-Hungary would control Serbia, given how the war started. I also agree that the Ottomans would have taken over Egypt -- this would explain why the British didn't use the Suez to transport food from Argentina during the SGW.

How did you decide which British and French colonies the Germans picked up? Also, do you think the Japanese would have gained some territory during the war? Maybe some more of China and/or a few more Pacific islands, like the German Marshall Islands?