Corsica, Cyprus and Gibraltar after a CP victory

What would happen to them ? could the cp claim them ? Greece is part of the CP in my timeline (although they enter relativly late) sp maybe greece gets cyprus and the dodacanese islands, and Austria anexes corsica and gibraltar, so they have more control in the Mediterrean sea.

What would happen to them ? could the cp claim them ? Greece is part of the CP in my timeline (although they enter relativly late) sp maybe greece gets cyprus and the dodacanese islands, and Austria anexes corsica and gibraltar, so they have more control in the Mediterrean sea.
Can you tell a bit more about that TL? Unless there are huge changes Britain will still have naval supriority in the Med, but I am absolutely sure, Austria annexing Corsia, or even Gibraltar is ASB.

what about greece getting cyprus ?
Well, in my timeline, Austria navy is stronger than OTL, the Ottomans, the greece help to the cp too. After france is defeated, the Austrians capture some french ships aswell. so they could challenge the british navy in the mediterrean.

In Michael Balfour The Kaiser and His Times, I recall draft peace proposals by Wilhelm II which included cession of Gibraltar to Spain, and of Cyprus, Egypt and Mesopotamia (??) to Turkey. No mention of Corsica though.

Last edited:
what about greece getting cyprus ?
Well, in my timeline, Austria navy is stronger than OTL, the Ottomans, the greece help to the cp too. After france is defeated, the Austrians capture some french ships aswell. so they could challenge the british navy in the mediterrean.
I also don't see Greece gaining Cyprus, until the RN is completely defeated. Plus the Ottomans would of course also want it.

..and the Germans defeat the French with the Schlieffen Plan?

Cook

Banned
The Ottomans would want Cyprus back; while Cyprus had been administered by Britain (under a lease arrangement) since 1878, it had remained de jure Turkish territory. The British annexed it in 1914 when Turkey attacked Russia.

The Turks would also want to expel the British from Egypt and reclaim their wayward province, along with Rhodes and the Dodecanese from Italy. (and Libya if they could manage it.)

ok, so it would be more likeley that the ottomans get cyprus, while the greece get the dodacanese islands. Corsica would remain with france. However i think Austria could be interested in Gibraltar.

ok, so it would be more likeley that the ottomans get cyprus, while the greece get the dodacanese islands. Corsica would remain with france. However i think Austria could be interested in Gibraltar.

Sure it will be interested, as Germany, Spain, Italy, France and Russia, but unless she can defeat the RN in open battle and take it there is no way she can get; and how is more powerfull the A-H who historically is the stepchild of the entire empire armed forces, how they pass the blockade of Otranto? The dodecanese island will be given back to the Ottoman empire.

If the Greeks get anything it's probably a slice of Southern Albania. All their other claims are either CP territory or are also claimed by an existing CP - unless the CP win very early..

If Greece tried for the Dodecanese it would just spark the Third Balkan War.

however in this TL the greeks fight allongside the CP, they will need some bounty too, perhaps grant them the historical roman province of cyrenaica

if the Austrians manage to take out the Italians in a propper and fast way they could try to regain Lombardy-Venetia, but why add even more non Germans/Magyars to the Empire...

I honestly cannot see the Ottomans allowing the Greeks to take Cyprus or the Dodecanese. If Greece gains anything, it would be Northern-Epiros. The Ottomans won't allow what they consider Ottoman territory to be given away.

Concerning Gibraltar: should Britain fall, Spain will move in. Giving it to Austria is ASB. The Austrians will probably settle for the Veneto, giving them another headache to add to their Empire.

Austria could get prestige from colonies and after they win the war, they can be viewed as great power again. The austrians wanted to have madagascar´once, maybe they annex if they have the chance. Ofcourse, the austrian colonial empire would still be very small and they only get minor colonies. Also the austrians wanted to be competitive with other great powers, and colonies would help in that case.

Austria could get prestige from colonies and after they win the war, they can be viewed as great power again. The austrians wanted to have madagascar´once, maybe they annex if they have the chance. Ofcourse, the austrian colonial empire would still be very small and they only get minor colonies.

Still, even with a stronger navy, I doubt Austria would desire a colony when their own Empire was fragile like hell. Should they desire concessions, it would be things like Veneto, Montenegro, a puppet in Serbia. Practical things like that.