Gotham City-State

JSmith

Banned
Ok I just saw The Dark Knight Rises-Awesome movie. But just like the other 2 Nolan movies with my AH minded mind I got to thinking. This Gotham City seems like a city-state in the way its presented.
So speculate- in this alternate United States are there a series of city-states-at least in the Eastern US-that apparently still answer to a national government but have a strong state of independence. I realize the answers to this are probably within the Marvelverse (or DCverse?) so if so please inform me.

Wait, city-state as in an independent nation that's a city, or a US state that consists only of a city? :confused:

JSmith

Banned
I was thinking for size. Maybe I'm totally missing things though.:eek:
Well have you seen the Nolan films? Gotham City is presented as a city but also a state.The Gotham State Police are seen in the newest movie for example.

Last edited:

JSmith

Banned
Gotham-City.jpg

There is an official map http://www.slashfilm.com/cool-stuff-official-map-christopher-nolans-gotham-city/

Ok I just saw The Dark Knight Rises-Awesome movie. But just like the other 2 Nolan movies with my AH minded mind I got to thinking. This Gotham City seems like a city-state in the way its presented.
So speculate- in this alternate United States are there a series of city-states-at least in the Eastern US-that apparently still answer to a national government but have a strong state of independence. I realize the answers to this are probably within the Marvelverse (or DCverse?) so if so please inform me.

in DCU's Earth-3, a evil mirror world to DC's main-line universe Gotham City becomes in the words of Police Commissioner Thomas Wayne Sr.

I'm going to build a New Gotham. I'm putting a Wall around this city; Making it self-sufficient and strong and clean. Anyone who does;t like gets a bullet in the face.

than there is Batman No Mans Land, some of the best story Batman's ever turned out, where after a bio-disaster, and huge earthquake, the US government gives up on the city, says its outside the US and blows the bridges and mines the river, lots of people get out before the dead line by many, along with the villains are left behind

Well have you seen the Nolan films? Gotham City is presented a city but also a state.The Gotham State Police are seen in the newest movie for example.
Gotham is basically New York, especially in the most recent film. I don't think in the comics or the movies its ever been the intent to show Gotham City having any kind of abnormal sovereignty in the American system (barring alternate timelines and temporary changes as parts of stories or events).

..... wait Metropolis is in Delaware? :confused::eek:

In DC's main continuity (New Earth) Gotham City is in Southern New Jersey, roughly along where Atlantic City is in OTL. It's only been hammered out in recent years.

On the other side of Hudson Bay in Delaware is Metropolis, then outside of Philly is Civic City (Headquarters of the Justice League).

So the whole BosWash region in the DC Universe is larger than OTL's.

For the Dark Knight continuity, it seems that Gotham either is New York, or somewhere alongside it.

http://www.karridian.net/dcusa_ne.html

In DC's main continuity (New Earth) Gotham City is in Southern New Jersey, roughly along where Atlantic City is in OTL. It's only been hammered out in recent years.

On the other side of Hudson Bay in Delaware is Metropolis, then outside of Philly is Civic City (Headquarters of the Justice League).

So the whole BosWash region in the DC Universe is larger than OTL's.

For the Dark Knight continuity, it seems that Gotham either is New York, or somewhere alongside it.

http://www.karridian.net/dcusa_ne.html

Gotham clearly is New York. They very obviously used Manhattan in the longh shots.

If NYC, and possibly some surrounding areas, formed it's own state it would be a lot like what you are describing. In not-so-serious suggestions for that to happen the name Gotham has even been proposed as the name they'd use. City-State of New York would be better, but then you need to call upstate something else. I think Gotham is supposed to like 30 million people, which is obviously much more than NYC proper, but still the same idea. If the 5 boroughs became a state it would function a lot like a city-state. They would skip an entire level of government, so there would be a Governor/Mayor and NYC representatives in Congress. it wouldn't have the unique position of DC, and it wouldn't even be a small state. it would be relatively large population-wise. This isn't realistic, but it is about as much so as most suggestions to divide states.

Here is one old article about the topic: http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/rnc/9573/

There are many more if you do a quick search for 'NYC secession' or 'NYC secession gotham'. This one is suggesting full national independence and is obviously tongue-in-cheek, but it's well written.

Last edited: