Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

With losses in Europe and Asia, the Tsar decided to pull back into the Russian Rodina (Ezo was an exception), and dared the allies to invade. Short on powder, Russia relied on the endless fields of the Rodina and General Winter to defend the Rodina. Abandoned, Russia's allies made seperate peace with the Allies. Russia disdained any formal treaty - they merely stopped fighting. The debates in the Allied capitals raged for a time, but eventually it was decided to let Russia rot, and not spend any more blood on that dark Eastern land.

saint_isaacs_square._st._petersburg_russia._1890-1900.jpg

So Russia returns to the status ante-bellum until it implodes from within (which all Russias are doomed to).

Got to say this is an interesting end to a Global War, much more so than in other TLs, with multiple separate treaties.

Last edited:

Glen

So Russia returns to the status ante-bellum until it implodes from within (which all Russias are doomed to).

Got to say this is an interesting end to a Global War, much more so than in other TLs, with multiple separate treaties.

Something like that - Glad you like the resolution(s).

Not so much - they are cutting their losses. They figure that there is nothing to be gained in a formal treaty (and to a degree, they are right, at first).

Doesn't that technically leave them in a permanent state of quasi-war? As in, both sides may assume the war is over and that the fighting has ended, but if either were to wait for the other to lower their guard and then attack a military fortification in an opportunistic raid, say, then legally it would be a justifiable act and the international community would have no right to sanction the aggressor?

Glen

Doesn't that technically leave them in a permanent state of quasi-war? As in, both sides may assume the war is over and that the fighting has ended, but if either were to wait for the other to lower their guard and then attack a military fortification in an opportunistic raid, say, then legally it would be a justifiable act and the international community would have no right to sanction the aggressor?

Basically yes.

Glen

The South American nations under the sway of Korsgaardianism, New Granada and Brazil, humbled in the Global War by the Liberal nations of the continent. The Confederation of the Equator and Bahia managed to throw out the Brazilian invasion, and in the process tie up critically needed troops and munitions. The United Provinces of South America, the powerhouse of South America, was a sleeping giant that the Korsgaardista invaders had aroused, and the armies who were were the heirs of Martin not only repulsed the invaders but drove deep into their own territories by the end of the conflict.

However, Korsgaardism had made as many enemies as it had adherents in the traditionally Republican South American nations, and with the armies of the Korsgaardists in tatters the forces of Liberalism rose up in both nations in what many call the Second South American Revolution, installing the Second Republic of New Granada and the Second Republic of Brazil. The new Revolutionary governments immediately sued for peace, turning over the surviving Korsgaardist tyrants to Allied justice (though few Korsgaardistas survived the blood-letting of the Revolution). The Allied powers of South America agreed to only minor border adjustments and to hold reparations to actual damages, to be paid out over a long period of time at low interest. Tiny Bahia actually received the greatest reparation awards as it had been the worst ravaged. As peace was restored, the Allied armies gradually ceded control to the Revolutionary governments of New Granada and Brazil.
Proclamad-libertad-spanish-4x3.jpg

I going to say with how badly things are ending for the nations that embraced Kosgaardian hyper-nationalism (it is a bit different than nationalism since multi-ethnic states like Austria-Hungary and Prussia-Poland readily adopted it) this whole war is certainly discrediting it.

I reckon the populations of TTL will, in the 20th century, approach many ideologies of the kind (fascism, and even communism) with caution. And will be less willing to embrace them than folks in OTL.

Even if liberalism seems to be triumphant, I will guess many countries will also embrace a more traditionalist perspective that outright rejects new ideologies for state-building.

Anyways keep up the good work Glen.

Glen

I going to say with how badly things are ending for the nations that embraced Kosgaardian hyper-nationalism (it is a bit different than nationalism since multi-ethnic states like Austria-Hungary and Prussia-Poland readily adopted it) this whole war is certainly discrediting it.

I reckon the populations of TTL will, in the 20th century, approach many ideologies of the kind (fascism, and even communism) with caution. And will be less willing to embrace them than folks in OTL.

Even if liberalism seems to be triumphant, I will guess many countries will also embrace a more traditionalist perspective that outright rejects new ideologies for state-building.

Anyways keep up the good work Glen.

Thank you for your support! it is a strange sort of "nationalism" for certain. you can expect to see a real reticence for embracing totalitarianism as a result of these wars for a good long time, whether they support rightist or leftist theories at least by our timelines definitions of them.

iddt3

Donor
Is the US the most peaceful nation on earth in this TL? If America got away with minimal war OTL, this TTL makes OTL look bloodthirsty.

Glen

Is the US the most peaceful nation on earth in this TL? If America got away with minimal war OTL, this TTL makes OTL look bloodthirsty.

Mostly peaceful, though the Indian Wars out west are still somewhat bloody.

It did true. What would be very interesting though is that despite its huge size, and obvious economic power TTL's US will likely have a very small army incapable of fighting any large scale war efficiently (unless we see something big in the Pacific soon biut even then) and no reserves.

It probably still has a good navy trying to keep up but used mostly for defense of some economic interests. The Morocco Protectorate, etc.

It would be a big country with lots of people, but peaceful people. And perhaps stereotypically American's in TTL are seen as somewhat wimpy. Think Canada in OTL.

Glen

It did true. What would be very interesting though is that despite its huge size, and obvious economic power TTL's US will likely have a very small army incapable of fighting any large scale war efficiently (unless we see something big in the Pacific soon biut even then) and no reserves.

That has been the case for most of the OTL US's history prior to the World Wars. But America has proven multiple times that they can raise a large and effective military rapidly. I would not want to awaken this sleeping giant.

On the other hand, this USA probably has very little to worry about in terms of hostilities given the geopolitics. At least for the foreseeable future.

It probably still has a good navy trying to keep up but used mostly for defense of some economic interests. The Morocco Protectorate, etc.

A very good navy (though not nearly as large as OTL), actually, but untried in recent years.

It would be a big country with lots of people, but peaceful people. And perhaps stereotypically American's in TTL are seen as somewhat wimpy. Think Canada in OTL.

I don't think wimpy, especially given some of their adventurerous volunteers, but yeah, could be more 'Canadian' in how they are seen in terms of aggressiveness. The Dominion probably has more of the 'American' reputation for fighting - they certainly have fought more.

iddt3

Donor
Well since it looks like there is going to be a second war with Russia, I wonder if that will be what finally breaks the US out of it's shell. I wonder if the US will gain a reputation for multilateral peacekeeping type missions. It will certainly be quite wealthy resource wise, even more so then otl.

Glen

Well since it looks like there is going to be a second war with Russia, I wonder if that will be what finally breaks the US out of it's shell. I wonder if the US will gain a reputation for multilateral peacekeeping type missions. It will certainly be quite wealthy resource wise, even more so then otl.

Possible possible - what resources were you thinking of?