Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that Wikipedia won't exist after such a disaster, but this is definitely useful in organising my thoughts. This is from my FH scenario, in the FH forum. Go check it out. And if you have any ideas to contribute, please post them in the thread.

I'm guessing there was a nuclear war? That'd be the only thing to really explain why the population dropped so suddenly. :(

Andrew Oldfield has often been considered one of the worst Presidents in American history. A long-time foreign policy wonk in the Republican administrations of the Twenties, Thirties and Forties, he was elected President in 2048. He defeated Vice President Melissa Cordova and Senator Percy Clark Rockefeller in the Republican primaries and Governor Jeremy O'Hara in the general election.

However, within days of his inauguration, a series of natural disasters called the Deluge hit. These disasters devestated America, and the Oldfield administration's slow and often inept response was highly criticized by the media and public. Emperor John drew national attention when he was publicly critical of President Oldfield "abandoning the people of Washington" before Hurricane Ingrid hit Washington, D.C., in May 2049 (Emperor John never left the D.C. metro, instead he stayed behind and helped evacuate refugees; at the time of the interview with NBC where he criticized the President, he was serving as a camp guard for a refugee camp in West Virginia).

President Oldfield barely survived primary challenges from the center (Senator Rockefeller) and the far-right (Vice President Clarke) in 2052. In the general election that year, he was soundly defeated by DNC Chairman Douglas Grayson of Ohio. Following his defeat, President Oldfield retired to his Des Moines home and became a visiting professor at the University of Iowa and the University of Chicago. In 2055, his wife Tori died in a car accident in Iowa City. Days later, Oldfield died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, becoming the first former president to commit suicide.

Today, most historians and psychologists believe that he suffered from un-diagnosed depression for much of his adult life. Former President Douglas Grayson has praised his predecessor's foreign policy work, saying that "if he'd been President at any other time, he'd be one of the better ones". But President Oldfield, with his inexperience with electoral politics and his focus on foreign policy, was simply in over his head.

KRvTl.png

--------

Past Infoboxes
Scott Bush
Philip II, Emperor of the United States
Princess Catherine, Princess of Columbia
Imperial Eagle crash
Victoria, Empress of the United States
Benjamin G. Thurman
Jake Dupree
House of Washington
List of American monarchs
United States of America
American Commonwealth Community
Acidalian Civil War
Elijah V. Crowder
U.S. Democratic Party
Federal German Empire
Horst Gessler
Friederich Wilhelm VII, German Emperor
Commonwealth of England
Horace Whatley
Quebec
Soviet Union
Japan
Saito Makoto
Douglas Grayson

VT45

Banned
I'm guessing there was a nuclear war? That'd be the only thing to really explain why the population dropped so suddenly. :(

It was an event called the Great Dying. It was a worldwide pandemic that wiped out more than 75% of the world's population between 2056 and 2058 or so. The population continued to drop after that since the pandemic pretty much wiped out all human infrastructure and civilisation. So even places stable as the United States were reduced to anarchy for centuries afterward. The story picks up in the year 3000, more commonly known as 944 AF, and even still the US is composed of, as you can see there, a couple kingdoms and empires, and then mostly city-states, trade leagues, and nomadic peoples. They currently have a technology level mostly akin to the early 15th century.

VT45

Banned
how did they lose the technology? just because theres a great dying doesnt mean you can set the world back 600 years... did they at least try to save some modern era technology and theories?

When you have a huge population loss and a breakdown of society and infrastructure, knowledge not directly related to one's immediate survival tends to be lost. People are going to concentrate on finding food and protecting themselves, not on high technology. It's a long and winding road back to where we are today.

When you have a huge population loss and a breakdown of society and infrastructure, knowledge not directly related to one's immediate survival tends to be lost. People are going to concentrate on finding food and protecting themselves, not on high technology. It's a long and winding road back to where we are today.

i suppose... its just really depressing when the technology is lost. all the original great minds that made those things possible would be forgotten forever.

Not forgotten forever though. The depression will lift, technology will be rediscovered and technological know-how will be reinvigorated; it's in our genes. The road back to where we are today is, as VT said above, "a long and winding" one; not an impossible one.

This is The Queen of the UK in a Timeline i am in the Begining Stages of planning i do not have the entire thing worked out and will put up more as i think of it.

Queen.png

i am starting my timeline by planning the Central Characters First then start to write it down and yes since the picture is from 2030 of her at a Museum for Computer Game History.

Vexacus

Banned
I'm currently editing the last infobox in the second series of my infoboxes, whioch carries on a year or so after the last one ended; and I have a problem, the "Results" section of a war is getting rather long so my question is this, what is the recomended limit to the "Results" section

I'm currently editing the last infobox in the second series of my infoboxes, whioch carries on a year or so after the last one ended; and I have a problem, the "Results" section of a war is getting rather long so my question is this, what is the recomended limit to the "Results" section

I'd say half a dozen of the most critical results, personally, though it's not a hard and fast rule; if possible, combine multiple results into as few different items as possible, and then cut that list down to six - go over if you must, but try to avoid it. I'm not sure what Wikipedia's policy is, but that's the general rule I've been thinking.

As you can see from my most recent, I had seven, so I don't even follow it strictly myself :).

Vexacus

Banned
I'd say half a dozen of the most critical results, personally, though it's not a hard and fast rule; if possible, combine multiple results into as few different items as possible, and then cut that list down to six - go over if you must, but try to avoid it. I'm not sure what Wikipedia's policy is, but that's the general rule I've been thinking.

As you can see from my most recent, I had seven, so I don't even follow it strictly myself :).
Thanks for the advice, I'll make it seven and combine a few into one and ditch the rest

JSmith

Banned
One idea for an event in an overt Eugenics Wars:
So was this the extent of the Eugenics Wars in the eastern USA? As you know I'm a huge fan of the overt wars but I'm skeptical as to how much fighting there would have been in the Western world-especially the United States.

Oops hence the total defeat of the Augment forces in the USA-sorry:eek:

So was this the extent of the Eugenics Wars in the eastern USA? As you know I'm a huge fan of the overt wars but I'm skeptical as to how much fighting there would have been in the Western world-especially the United States.

Yes, this would have been the only event in the United States proper. Unlike the stupid "Eugenics Wars" series that can't decide whether their wars are overt or covert, I would think that the Eugenic experiments would have been done on several sides. In my mind, the experimenters themselves were probably India, Pakistan, the Soviet Union, the United States and South Africa. However, unlike in the others, where the augments took over through successful calculated military coups d'etat to overthrow unstable and/or dictatorial regimes, the United States was a relatively prosperous, stable democracy, their attempt to seize power fell flat on its face.

One of the aspects of Africa which you wouldn't get from these infoboxes is that many of the "African" augments are African Americans who were smarter than the ones who tried to seize power in the U.S., and rather went for the much easier route in Africa, though obviously other (black) African augments are from Soviet programs.

But, yes. The Augment plan in the U.S. was to stage a coup by the normal military, which they would then "stop", sadly, after the entire federal government had been killed - thus, the "Emergency Committee", which, due to a litany of failures, announced itself as the "new government" while Bush was still alive and in control of the White House (though they did manage to cut off the Pentagon and hamstring a coordinated military response for some time). It most likely wouldn't have worked, if you think in more rational terms, but these were the augments stupid enough to think that a thousand-odd people would be able to seize complete control of the United States - the others had already left altogether for greener pastures.

Nevertheless, this attack acts as the catalyst for the U.S. to become fully committed to crushing the augments in the rest of the world.

Overall, the U.S. gets off fairly easy, compared to the sky-high body counts you get in Africa, the Middle East, South/Central Asia and Eastern Europe.'

EDIT: As a bit of an Easter Egg, I included as one of the "significant" commanders on the government's side Daniel Roper, who was Captain of the USS Enterprise during this timeframe. Apparently he did something of especial note during this crisis, which I haven't determined exactly, but it's just one more thing to add to that name's reputation in this universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.