Yaroslav the Wise is killed in 1018

It's my first TL, so, I will be very thanks-full for any comments and criticism.
And I beg pardon, if my English is too bad.:rolleyes:

First chapter.

In 1018 Boleslav I of Poland and his son-in-low Sviatopolk went to Kiev to take the city [1].
"Size of Bolesław's army range between 2,000–5,000 Polish warriors, 1000 Pechenegs, 300 German knights, and 500 Hungarian mercenaries. On July 22, the duke [Boleslav] came up to a certain river, where he ordered his army to set up camp and separate the necessary bridges. Also camped near the river, along with his army, was [Yaroslav] the king of the Russians".
0_789d4_c583dd9f_L.jpg

Accordingly The Primary Chronicle, Yaroslav outraged Boleslaw as "too fat man". The Duke of Poland attacked Russian army. "It collapsed at the first attack, however, and failed to mount any effective resistance. Among those who fled, many were killed, but only a few of the victors were lost. On our side, the dead included Erich, an illustrious knight whom our emperor had long held in chains. From that day on, with every success, Boleslav drove the scattered enemies before him; and the whole populace received and honoured him with many gifts." Yaroslav was killed in the battle [2].
Boleslav and Sviatopolk went to Kiev. "At Boleslav's instigation, the very strong city of Kiev was disturbed by the constant attacks of hostile Pechenegs and severely weakened by fire. It was defended by the inhabitants, but quickly surrendered to the foreign warriors, after its king [Yaroslav] was killed. On 14 August, the city received Boleslav and Sviatopolk, its long-absent lord.
After placing his long-exiled brother-in-law, the Russian's brother, on the throne, duke Boleslav returned in high spirits. He took some commoners as well as much of the treasury of Kiev. Also, Boleslav took the Cherven towns.

Sviatopolk became Prince of Kiev and all Rus. He sent messengers to Byzantium, to the Emperor and to Novgorod.
200px-Za%C5%9Blubiny_%C5%9Awi%C4%99tope%C5%82ka.JPG

(Sviatopolk and his wife, daughter of Boleslaw I, Jan Matejko (1892))
Posadnik [3] of Novgorod, Konstantin Dobrynich, called Sudislav from Pskov and ask him to become Prince of Novgorod and continue the war against Sviatopolk. Sudislav came to Novgorod, but refused to fight. He proposed peace to Sviatopolk and recognized him as Great Prince. Sviatopolk agreed.

Ingegerd, the widow of Yaroslav, went to Ladoga and ruled the city as independent queen [4].

The comet was seem in this year, and people said, that was sign of Yaroslav's death.

In 1019, metropolitan of Kiev died [5]. Sviatopolk refused to received new "Greek" metropolitan and asked archbishop of Poland set Reinbern as bishop of Rus. [6]
Bishop of Novgorod, Ioakim Korsunianin refused recognize archbishop of Poland as his archbishop. He rebels against "Latin's faith", and posadnik of Novgorod, Konstantin Dobrynich, supported him. Sudislav, Prince of Novgorod, didn't want the war, but can't persuade both.
Sviatopolk led his army to Novgorod. Old citizens, who remembered, as Dobrynia burned the city in 988 (he wanted to baptize the city and Novgorod tried fight), opened gates for Sviatopolk. Konstantin Dobrynich was killed [7]. Ioakim and Sudislav were imprisoned, and Sudislav died soon. [8] Eparchy of Novgorod was temporary destroyed.
"Pravda Yaroslava", oldest the legal code of Kievan Rus', was written, probably, in 1017 by Yaroslav. But in ATL this legal code was probably lost.
Novgorod had not benefits, which it received in OTL as a reward for help in war with Sviatopolk. Moreover, Ladoga is independent city in ATL, and it's competitor of Novgorod. So, Novgorod is poorer, than in OTL.
Byzantium was infuriated and required restore old structure of Russian church.

In 1020 winter was very cold.
Byzantium refused to trade with Rus until Ioann become metropolitan of Kiev.
Sviatopolk prepared for war. [9] He allied with pechenegs, who helped him in 1018.
In same year Pope Benedict VIII asked Henry II, Holy Roman Emperor, begin war with Byzantium in Southern Italy. So, Sviatopolk decided to attack Byzantium in next year together with the Emperor.
In this year oldest son of Sviatoplok was born - Yaropolk [10].

In spring of 1021, Bryachislav of Polotsk, take Novgorod. Sviatoplok met him, when Bryachislav returned to Polotsk, and defeated him. Sviatoplok gave him Vitebsk and make peace - Bryachislav became ally of Sviatopolk for many years.[11]
0_789d5_20b7ae73_L.jpg

In autumn of 1021, Sviatoplok went to Byzantium, with pechenegs, some hundreds of polish and hungarian knights, and with Bryachislav of Polotsk. Usually way of Russians princes was stright to Constantinople by sea. But last Byzantine–Bulgarian War ended in 1018, and Sviatopolk wanted "repeat the war of Sviatoslav".
0_789d6_61c311e0_L.jpg

Henry II in same time went to Italy.

In winter of 1022 Sviatopolk was defeated on Danube. Greek fleet burned Russian ships and didn't allow cross the river.
330px-Greekfire-madridskylitzes1.jpg

In same time Mstislav the Brave, the Prince of Tmutarakan, came to Kiev [12].
Citizens didn't recognized him as Prince, and Mstislav can't take the city. He went to Chernigov - citizens opened gates for him. Sviatopolk quickly returned home, and with his troops attacked Mstislav.
0_789d7_76dd59c0_L.jpg

Sviatopolk lost, but Mstislav proposed peace: Rus' was divided on two parts with Dnieper river as border.[13]
0_789d8_c3a1857e_L.jpg

200px-UKR_Mstuslav.jpg

(Mstislav the Brave)
Mstislav asked Ioann I as Russian metropolitan, and asked Ioakim Korsunianin as bishop of Chernigov (Sviatopolk released him).
The conflict was ended, Byzantium allowed trade with Rus' again.
In same time failed the war of Henry II - he can't take Troy in the Southern Italy.

And more correct, but less detailed map (on base map of Qazaq2007)

[1] Vladimir the Great died 15 July 1015. His sons begun the war. It's not clear, who was right and who was not, but the fact is - in 1018 only 4 sons were alive:
Sviatopolk, who escaped to Poland, to Boleslav, father of his wife;
Yaroslav "the Wise" in Kiev;
Mstislav "the Brave" in Tmutarakan (Crimea);
Sudislav, probably in Pskov.
One more prince - Bryachislav, was grandson of Vladimir the Great and he ruled in Polotsk.
[2] It's POD - in OTL Yaroslav escaped with only 4 men. In OTL he went to Novgorod, where the posadnik (governor) Konstantin Dobrynich didn't allow him escaped to Scandinavia, and persuaded Yaroslav to continue his war against Sviatopolk, helped him muster a new army. In 1019 Yaroslav returned to Kiev and defeated Sviatopolk. Sviatopolk died soon, and Yaroslav became the Prince of Kiev.
[3] Governor.
[4] Ingegerd Olofsdotter, was the daughter of Swedish King Olof Skötkonung. According to several sagas, she was given as a marriage gift Ladoga and adjacent lands, which later received the name Ingria, arguably a corruption of Ingegerd's name. She placed her friend, jarl Ragnvald Ulfsson, to rule in her stead.
[5] There are some mentions, who was metropolitan before 1019.
Rus was Christianizationed in 988 by Vladimir the Great, with priests from Byzantium, and Russian church was Orthodox.
There is version, that first metropolitan was Teofilakt, from 988 to 1018.
Another version is: first Michael (988-992), then Leontius (992-1018 or 988-1018).
But many historians think, that Ioann I became metropolitan in 1019.
All metropolitans went from "Greek", from Byzantium.
It's not clear, how many eparchies were established in 988. One of versions said, that 4 were established: of Belgorod, of Novgorod, of Chernigov and of Polotsk. But another said, that eparchy of Polotsk was created in 1104, and first bishop of Chernigov is mentioned in 1071, so, maybe, thss eparchy was created later too.
This is very doubt question, and I can't say, that I right, but I use this hypothesis for TTL.
So, in 1019 the metropolitan died.
Maybe, bishop of Belgrad was Anastas Korsunianin, the leader of Russian church during reign of Vladimir the Great (maybe - not, but I use this version too). Anastas went to Poland with Boleslav, so, bishop of Belgrad was vacant in 1019.
Sviatoplok ask set Reinbern as "Bishop of Russia", instead of bishop of Belgrad and a metropolitan both.
Bishop of Novgorod, Ioakim Korsunianin must recognize archbishop of Poland as his archbishop.
[6] Reinbern, bishop of Koloberg, was imprisoned with Sviatopolk in 1013. Time of his death is not known.
[7] in OTL he was imprisoned by Yaroslav and then killed in 1022.
[8] in OTL Sviatoplok and his priest Reinbern were imprisoned in 1013. Sudislav in OTL was imprisoned in 1036. after Mstislav died. But in TTL Mstislav can't influence on Sviatopolk in 1019, Sudislav is younger and died in prison.
[9] In OTL, Russian princes fought with Byzantium for trade treaties in 907 and 944. In 1043 last war with Byzantium had place, exact reason is not clear. So, war for trade is "usual" for Rus'.
[10] Oldest son of Yaroslav was named "Vladimir", by father of Yaroslav. Sviatopolk named the son by father too, but he thought, that he was son of Yaropolk.
[11] As in OTL.
[12] In OTL Mstislav was ally of Byzantium in 1016 in Crimea, helped them in the war with khazars.
In 1022 in OTL Mstislav fought in Caucasus. Many historians think, that he acted as ally of the Emperor Basil II. So, in ATL Basil II sent him against the brother. In OTL Mstislav begun war with Yaroslav in 1023.
[13] In OTL battle with Yaroslav was in 1024, same peace was made in 1026. In ATL all events happend faster, because war with Byzantium was continuing, and Russians can't trade.

Last edited:
Wow, events are going rather fast !

But I like the idea behind the POD. :) Good luck with the TL.

Oh, and... Welcome to the board ! ;) :D

Huzzah, a TL in a much neglected area of history for this board. For this reason, don't be too worried if few people comment.

Are you from Ukaine?

Agreed, I don't know much at all about the period but it's fun to see one from here. Good luck on putting it together. And, welcome to the board.

Thanks!
Maybe, it's good idea: to write more detailed - which events are OTL, which are ATL, and why events are differ?

Thanks! :)

That could be a help.

BTW: There's a multiquote button at the bottom right (next to quote) that can come in handy when lots of comments need to be replyed to.

Oh and don't worry about the English, experience shows that most people who post for a while on the board get better. Probably having a lot of easily accesible material to read on much the same topic helps.

One minor nitpick: I doubt that in this timeline Yaroslav would be called "Wise". How wise was the guy who provoked his enemy to battle and then got himself killed? I would see the Sviatopolk propaganda calling him "Yaroslav the Unwise".

What is a fate of "Grody Czerwieńskie" in this timeline?

That could be a help.
Then I will try to write more detailed.
BTW: There's a multiquote button.
Thanks! :)
It's more convenient way to answer!
Looks like we are having a part of Rus being Catholic in this timeline..
I will try make so.
One minor nitpick: I doubt that in this timeline Yaroslav would be called "Wise". How wise was the guy who provoked his enemy to battle and then got himself killed? I would see the Sviatopolk propaganda calling him "Yaroslav the Unwise".
I think, the Sviatopolk propaganda calling him "Yaroslav the Accursed", and in this timeline historians will write, that Yaroslav killed Boris and Gleb, and some another brothers.
What is a fate of "Grody Czerwieńskie" in this timeline?
Like OTL - they became polish after 1018.
Thanks! I will add details to first chapter.

This is becoming more and more interesting. So Sviatopolk has lesser but more manageable realm and is allied with Poles and Pechenegs. This way the trade with Byzantines is more secure.

I'm curious what happened to Predslava? Did she go to Poland as Bolesław's wife (or concubine as in OTL) or did she escape to Mstislav?

BTW Poland shouldn't possess western Pomerania at this time, it was lost between 1004 and 1013. This is why Reinbern, previously the bishop of Kołobrzeg/Kolberg, was free to go to Kiev. And in 1018 Poland possessed Lusatia freshly gained in a war with emperor Henry II.

Good work.

Thanks!

This way the trade with Byzantines is more secure.

I think, some more secure, but for some years - about 1036-40 Pechenegs went to west, as in OTL.

I'm curious what happened to Predslava? Did she go to Poland as Bolesław's wife (or concubine as in OTL) or did she escape to Mstislav?

Sorry, I thought, that is was not so important event. Her fate like OTL, it's seems, death of Yaroslav changed nothing in this case.

BTW Poland shouldn't possess western Pomerania at this time, it was lost between 1004 and 1013. This is why Reinbern, previously the bishop of Kołobrzeg/Kolberg, was free to go to Kiev. And in 1018 Poland possessed Lusatia freshly gained in a war with emperor Henry II.

Thanks!
Yes, I agree. I found probably year about 1007. And England, if I right understand, is ruled by Canute the Great. But it's too hard edit this map :rolleyes: But I will try to make it more correspond.
I like this map more, but I don't sure about rights to use. Maybe, you know some sites with free and "good" for editing maps?

Thanks!
Yes, I agree. I found probably year about 1007. And England, if I right understand, is ruled by Canute the Great. But it's too hard edit this map :rolleyes: But I will try to make it more correspond.
I like this map more, but I don't sure about rights to use. Maybe, you know some sites with free and "good" for editing maps?

We've been doing it for years. The Basemap thread/wiki hasn't got the earlier periods up to the same standard yet, but we've got ones for 1000 and 1030 here.

We've been doing it for years. The Basemap thread/wiki hasn't got the earlier periods up to the same standard yet, but we've got ones for 1000 and 1030 here.

Thanks!
It's the great work.
Sorry, but I would use some more detailed :rolleyes:

Upd. Thanks! :) I look for a map on Wiki and found what I want!

Last edited:
Chapter two. 1023-1029.

The Primary Chronicle writes about these years: "Princes lived in peace", or "Peace and quiet were on Russian lands", or writes nothing, with few exceptions [1].
0_789dc_2c5d2d3_L.jpg

So, let's see events in the neighborhood.

In 1024 famine struck provinces along Volga. Food was purchased from Bulgarians. [2] During the famine pagan uprising happened, but Sviatopolk can defeated it. [3]

0_789dd_850d8382_L.jpg

In this year second son of Sviatoplok, Iziaslav, was born [4].

In
1025 Boleslav of Poland was crowned as King of Poland. Sviatopolk took part in the celebration.
0_789de_2f82137_L.jpg

Boleslav died soon.

In
1026 Mieszhko II became the king of Poland.
mieszko2.jpg

He expelled his two brothers from the country. Otto escaped to Germany and Bezprym escaped to Hungry [5]

In 1027 third son of Sviatoplok, Sviatoslav, was born [6].
0_789df_b56a49e1_L.jpg

In 1028 Polish troops invaded Saxony.[7] The devastation was so great that, according to Saxon sources where Mieszko II's troops put their feet grass never thence grew.
Reinbern, the bishop of Russia, died. Ederam became new the bishop [8].
0_789db_1466b3f4_M.jpg

Anthony came to Chernigow and founded Chernigow Pechersk Lavra, or Chernigow Monastery of the Caves. In general, it was not monastery yet. Anthony dug a cave on Boldin mountain and lived like a hermit. then another men came to him and later the Monastery was founded. [9]
162px-Antiny_Pechersky_%28fragment%29.jpg

Byzantium:
Romanos Argyros marry the emperor's daughter Zoehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoe_(empress) on November 12, 1028, and three days later Constantine VIII died, leaving Romanos III as emperor.

In 1029 Olaf II Haraldsson of Norway was defeated by Canute the Great and was driven into exile.
He lived at Ladoga about a year. Than, in 1030, the ruler of Norway sunk, and Olaf tried to return throne. He was killed in the battle, and his young son, Magnus, lived at Ladoga for some years. [10]
Conrad II of Germany in the autumn seized the Polish city Bautzen, but can't take the city.
The son of Oldřich, Duke of Bohemia, Bretuslav I, attacked and took Moravia. [11]

[1] In OTL in 1023-1026 years Yaroslav and Mstislav fought, so, quiet years are 1026-1029.
[2] Volgas Bulgarians are distant relation of "normal" Bulgarian. They lived in the place of modern Kazan, on Volga. During ancient migration, part of Bulgarians went to west and became "usual" Bulgarians, and another part went to north and settled alone Volga. Their country was rather rich and powerful, Russian Princes sometimes fought with them, sometimes allied. In XIII century country was destroyed by Mongols.
[3] In OTL Yaroslav defeated the uprising.
[4] In OTL Yaroslv named his son, probably, by name of father of Briachislav of Polotsk. In ATL Briachislav is ally of Sviatopolk, so, name of the son is same.
[5] Like OTL, but in OTL Bezprym escaped to Rus', and Yaroslav supported him against Mieszhko II. Bezprym was son of Hungarian princess Judith, so he can escaped to Humgry. But Stephan I supported Mieszhko II, and Bezprym waited, while throne became vacant.
[6] In OTL Yaroslv named his son, probably, by name of father of Briachislav of Polotsk. In ATL Briachislav is ally of Sviatopolk, so, name of the son is same.
[7] As in OTL, Mieszhko II supported dukes, who rebelled against Conrad II. It's seems, in this year he called for help nobody.
[8] In OTL Ederam is mentioned in obituary of monastery of Weltenberg as episcopus de Polonia. Probably, he was the bishop of Poznan. The eparchy was destroyed soon, so, I think, if Ederam became bishop of Russia (because this eparchy became vacant some faster, than Poznan), it's not influence on Polish history. Edream died before 1049, in TTL - in 1045.
[9] In OTL Anthony founded the Monastery near Kiev. When he exiled from Kiev, he lived in a cave on Boldin Mountain near Chernigov, where later Eletsky Monastery was founded. In TTL, it's seems, more logical to found the Monastery near Chernigow.
[10] In OTL Olaf and his son lived in Novgorod, at court of Yaroslav. In 1015 he wanted married Ingegerd, and she wanted too, but her father sent her to Yaroslav. In ATL Olaf lived at Ladoga, and then returned to Norway and died, as in OTL.
[11] Like OTL. Moravia was ruled by Polish princes/Lings for some time. Date of attack of Bretislav (or, more exact, year, when Moravia was returned to Bohemia) is doubt (from 1017 to 1031), but I use this date.

Last edited:
Chapter three. 1030.

In 1030 Mieszhko II, King of Poland, secured an alliance with Hungary and Rus'. [1] Mieszhko invaded Saxony, Stephan I attacked Bavaria [2] and Sviatoplok and Mstislav attacked Moravia. [3]
Conrad II decided to defeat enemies one by one, and he begun from Stephan I. Bretuslav helped them, large army met Hungarians in Bavaria - but both rules are defeated completely. As result of battle, Stepahn I occupied Vienna.
In north, in Saxony, Mieszhko didn't meet any serious enemy opposition. He ravaged one hundred of villages and towns (by another chronicle - even one thousand, but this fugure, probably, is too large), captured 9,000 men and women, include the bishop of Brandenburg, and killed many people.

Bretuslav helped Conrad, and he was defeated - so, Russian Princes also didn't meet opposition. They returned Moravia to Mieszhko and ravaged Bohemia.
0_789d9_5e553067_L.jpg

They captured many people, then Sviatopolk settled these captives on the river Ros' [4]

In same year, citizens of Derbent (coast of Caspian sea) fought with Shirvan and called Russians. Russians, probably, Eustaphius, the son of Mstislav the Brave, came to them and defeated the Shirvanshah twice (near Baku and then on the river Araks). Then Eustaphuis helped the ruler of Ganja (western Azerbaijan) to end civil war - Russians killed the brother of the ruler. Then Russians returned home. [5]

In Kiev, the forth son of Sviatoplok, Vsevolod, was born. [6]

In Ladoga, the son of Ingegerd and Olaf of Norway, Harald Ingegerdson, was born. [7]

[1] In OTL - only with Hungry, and Yaroslav of Rus' attacked Poland and took some cities.
[2] Like OTL.
[3] In OTL brothers attacked Poland in 1031. They set Bezprym as Duke of Poland, so Mieszhko escaped to Moravia and his wife escaped to Germany.
So, in ATL brothers can acted together.
In 1076 two Russian princes helped Poland, they went against Czechs - so, if Bretuslav occupied Moravis in 1029, Mieszhko can asked allies to attack Moravia.
[4] Mieszhko and Stephan - like OTL. In OTL brothers can return Cherven cities and captured many polish men, so, in ATL they didn't any super-heroic, it's seems.
[5] Like OTL.
[6] "Vsevolod" means "owner (or ruler) of everything (or of all the world)". One of brothers of Yaroslav was Vsevolod, but he died rather young. So, Sviatopolk can named the son by the same way :)
[7] There is version, that Vsevolod was the son of Ingegerd and Olaf of Norway. So, it's seems, that Ingegerd and Olaf can has a son, if Ingegerd is single and she is a queen.

Last edited: