Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

The city proper

That makes sense. With it lying almost directly on the other side of the border the city is near enough to be annexed directly and it isn't such a big prize as well (at least not as big as the present-day Austrian state of Salzburg). Though I would say that, looking at the municipality map of the present-day county of Salzburg-Umgebung that a minor addition should be made into now "Greater Salzburg" (Germany): Walz-Siezenheim (°39 on the map, population today about 11,000 people).

800px-Gemeinden_im_Bezirk_Salzburg-Umgebung.png

Glen

Several of you have requested the basemap used for the DSA North America. I have not yet been able to locate it, but this one is getting close.

Large DSA scrap 1840.PNG

Glen

That makes sense. With it lying almost directly on the other side of the border the city is near enough to be annexed directly and it isn't such a big prize as well (at least not as big as the present-day Austrian state of Salzburg). Though I would say that, looking at the municipality map of the present-day county of Salzburg-Umgebung that a minor addition should be made into now "Greater Salzburg" (Germany): Walz-Siezenheim (°39 on the map, population today about 11,000 people).

800px-Gemeinden_im_Bezirk_Salzburg-Umgebung.png

I agree - 37 at least.

Glen

After the Liberal War, the Austrian Empire struggled to find an identity that could tame the boiling nationalist tensions that had been first born during the Napoleonic Era and rekindled in the age of Liberal Revolution. Russia's intervention had bought the Habsburgs time, but it was the advent of Korsgaardian theory that gave the renamed Austria-Hungary a direction. The Austrian crown based their ideal image of the past on the precedent of the Holy Roman Empire in the ideal of a multistate, fiercely Catholic state. Language played a lesser role in the Austro-Hungarian national identity than in other Korsgaardian states, though German remained the lingua franca (ironically) for work across the provinces, whereas within them local languages were allowed to be utilized. The Habsburg Emperor played an increasingly loyal and empowered populace against the traditional power of the nobles and the emerging industrialists. Eventually, it was expected and required that all the classes subject themselves for the good of their most Catholic State as embodied by the Habsburg Emperor. The conservative clergy especially clung to the throne in the face of an increasingly liberal leadership in the Vatican. The restive Hungarian nobles had been diminished in purges, mostly after the uprisings in 1848-9, but more gradually since of any that did not espouse loyalty to the Empire. The Austrian nobility faced the possibility of being detained and even disappeared by the state, but as they had not had their ranks initially dimished through rebellion, they remained relatively speaking stronger. Of course, most of the liberal leadership elements in Austria-Hungary had long fled by the time of Global War, or at least those that could. Many liberal Austrians of German extraction had found new homes and loyalties in Germany. However, the Hungarians in exile retained a distinct identity as Magyars and were thus poised to return across the war-torn nation to take part in the Hungarian Revolution when the time came.

To better rule and guard the Empire, it was administratively divided into a Western and Eastern Sector, or Division. When the Hungarians revolted, they took with them the rest of the Eastern sector (namely to the North and West of Hungary, and thus geographically isolated from the Austrian centers of power, especially with Prussia-Poland and Russia no longer being reliable for aid in putting down any distant revolts.

Austria-Hungary.png

Last edited:
Ah, so *Cisleithania ITTL contains Croatia, but not Galicia... Fascinating. Especially considering that Croatia is strong enough to have seperatism potential (or the desire to get autonomy). Furthermore: Good to know how big (now German) Salzburg exactly is. How exactly is Salzburg integrated into Germany anyway? (I don't recall whenether or not minor German states have been abolished since the Hannoverians unified it).

And is it just me or have the Burgenland and Prekmurje now remained part of Hungary?

Glen

Ah, so *Cisleithania ITTL contains Croatia, but not Galicia... Fascinating. Especially considering that Croatia is strong enough to have seperatism potential (or the desire to get autonomy). Furthermore: Good to know how big (now German) Salzburg exactly is. How exactly is Salzburg integrated into Germany anyway? (I don't recall whenether or not minor German states have been abolished since the Hannoverians unified it).

And is it just me or have the Burgenland and Prekmurje now remained part of Hungary?
Right now Croatia is just glad they aren't annexed by the Ottomans.
Salzburg is annexed to Bavaria.
It is just you.;) Actually they are supposed to be Austrian but I forgot to alter.

Glen

Right now Croatia is just glad they aren't annexed by the Ottomans.
Salzburg is annexed to Bavaria.
It is just you.;) Actually they are supposed to be Austrian but I forgot to alter.

Fixed the addition of Burgenland to the posts. Prekmurje I decided would be likely to remain in Hungary.

Fixed the addition of Burgenland to the posts. Prekmurje I decided would be likely to remain in Hungary.

... resulting in the Slovene nation being spread across three countries (Italy, Austria-Bohemia, Hungary).

And so I now have to wait for the true end of the Global War. The remaining peace treaties will be... interesting for Prussia and Mexico. Russia might actually get out of it without too many losses.

Glen

... resulting in the Slovene nation being spread across three countries (Italy, Austria-Bohemia, Hungary).

And so I now have to wait for the true end of the Global War. The remaining peace treaties will be... interesting for Prussia and Mexico. Russia might actually get out of it without too many losses.

Yes and so are the Croats IIRC.

Glen

The British Army's participation in the Defense of Istanbul is the stuff of which legends are made. Three of Britannia's fiercest fighting units stood shoulder to shoulder on the line, shedding their sweat and blood in defense of the Empire and of Liberty - the Sable Legion, the Black Watch, and the Gurkhas. Several journal accounts noted the skirl of the 'Pipes of Hell' that would rally the British lines every time a new wave of Korsgaardian Eastern Troops tried to break the line, and every time the Eastern hordes were thrown back. While the Defense of Istanbul was a truly multinational effort by the Allies, with the majority of the troops being furnished by the Ottomans themselves, all present knew that pride of place went to the British zone, and the doughty fighting units from three continents.

gurkhasTirah_Pre-WW1.jpg
gurkha-1920.jpg

43157.jpg

1stbtn-blackwatch.jpg

Glen

The Treaty of Zurich followed the capitulation of the Austrian Crown. Prussia-Poland had already lost Brandenburg west of the Oder through the combination of invasion and revolution, as well as traditional Saxony which that Kingdom had redeemed. The treaty formally acknowledged the new border and also required Prussia-Poland to pay reparations for the damages caused by the war, predominantly to Germany and Scandinavia. Like Austria-Bohemia, Prussia-Poland was required to acknowledge the Pope as the rightful leader of the Catholic Church, though in the case of Prussia-Poland, the results of this forced rapproachment would prove interesting. However, the Hollenzollern crown managed to survive and maintain what remained of their realm, though now with a significant predominance of Poles as the populace.

360px-Z%C3%BCrich_-_Opernhaus_IMG_0090_ShiftN1.jpg

Glen

So Prussia Poland basically has OTL Poland's borders?

It seems, with the whole of East Prussia. If Berlin is now in Germany is Prussia-Poland's capital Konin
gsberg (Kaliningrad) or Warsaw?

It seems, with the whole of East Prussia. If Berlin is now in Germany is Prussia-Poland's capital Konin
gsberg (Kaliningrad) or Warsaw?

I think the border is a bit further east than OTL modern Poland. It has the whole of East Prussia also, as noted. Konigsberg I would think - we'll see.:)