TL-191: After the End

Good update, David!:)
We do now. :D

By the way David, yet another wonderful update, I love the latest developments within Japan, it's truly interesting. I can't wait until June to see what the forthcoming decade holds for us. :)

Here's the world at the very start of 1970.
Nice map, Arkhangelsk!:)

I wonder what HT would say if you'd show him this effort. :D

Turtledove probably wouldn't care; it isn't earning him any money!! Besides, he got sick of the franchise. That's why he wrapped it up. That's also why the novels got more and more repetitious as they came along. There's only so much complaining about U.S. cigarettes being inferior to C.S. cigarettes one can take, after all!!

Turtledove probably wouldn't care; it isn't earning him any money!! Besides, he got sick of the franchise. That's why he wrapped it up. That's also why the novels got more and more repetitious as they came along. There's only so much complaining about U.S. cigarettes being inferior to C.S. cigarettes one can take, after all!!

Yes, I doubt Harry would look back too fondly at the longest series he's ever written.

Yes, I doubt Harry would look back too fondly at the longest series he's ever written.

I don't mind authors earning their money, but when their series becomes little more than repetitions, I stop buying! It almost felt like he had someone else culling passages from earlier installments and then writing appropriate bridges between them. No sense of continuity in details (and, frankly, that's what makes good ATL's exciting and what we find a LOT here on this site!)

HT used to be my fav AH writer. No more. He's gotten rich, but sloppy and careless.

You forgot about Sam Carsten and his arch enemy sunburns. Scipio and the fact he can talk like an upper class white Confederate and switch to the Congaree dialect he grew up with. Potter and the fact everyone looks at him funny because he speaks like a damnyankee.

You forgot about Sam Carsten and his arch enemy sunburns. Scipio and the fact he can talk like an upper class white Confederate and switch to the Congaree dialect he grew up with. Potter and the fact everyone looks at him funny because he speaks like a damnyankee.

You made me laugh so hard, I fell out of my chair and banged my elbow on the floor!!! :D

I don't mind authors earning their money, but when their series becomes little more than repetitions, I stop buying! It almost felt like he had someone else culling passages from earlier installments and then writing appropriate bridges between them. No sense of continuity in details (and, frankly, that's what makes good ATL's exciting and what we find a LOT here on this site!)

HT used to be my fav AH writer. No more. He's gotten rich, but sloppy and careless.

The thing about repetition is that the characters in 191 are just average people, and average lives are very repetitious. It's enough to make me sick of my life.

So is the island of Hokkaido a part of the Russian Republic or is it an independent state but under Russian influence?

Hokkaido is under joint Russo-CDS military rule (the CDS represented by the US color). Unfortunately the US and Russian colors are very similar and easy blend together.

I'll take the opportunity to post another map, this time showing the main alliances. I think it's pretty self-explanatory, but here I go anyway:

Compact of Democratic States
-CDS allied
European Community
-EC allied
Independence Movement

TL191ATEAlliances1970.png

Last edited:
Hokkaido is under joint Russo-CDS military rule (the CDS represented by the US color). Unfortunately the US and Russian colors are very similar and easy blend together.

I'll take the opportunity to post another map, this time showing the main alliances. I think it's pretty self-explanatory, but here I go anyway:

-CDS allied
European Community
-EC allied
Independence Movement

Great map! The only thing that should be changed is that Tibet is not in the IM.

-CDS allied
European Community
-EC allied
Independence Movement
What is the current economic balance between those alliances?:)

Last edited: