TL-191: After the End

Wow indeed. Looks like it's the beginning of the end for Japan! They took quite a beating this year. I'd imagine they still have a few tricks up their sleeve, though. After all, Dave, you mentioned that the war lasts until 1970. But a syndicalist regime in Tokyo should have...interesting consequences on the world. A better question is whose orbit they're going to fall into.

The destruction of the Co-Prosperity Sphere looks troublesome as well. It's good that Japan is so effectively losing its war capabilities (not that Ishii didn't help that by, uh, murdering most of Japan's high ranking military officers). I'm guessing that island hopping is still going to be a very real possibility due to the need to sweep out the surviving officers who control former Japanese territory.

President Humphrey wins a third term, eh? I was beginning to wonder when that sort of thing would finally happen. And Joshua Blackford is on the horizon. So is Morgan Reynolds, apparently, as well. Wonder what party he'll run for office for eventually.

Would the U.K. and France, from OTL's perspective, be seen as something of a double analog of Japan? Your post certainly seems to indicate that they're known for making high quality technology. If video games develop ITTL, I'd imagine it'll come from them. Of course, Germany could still hold its own if it hangs onto its Congo territory and effectively begins to mine minerals at the dawn of the alt-computer age...

Random question: Was I right in guessing that the 'Battlefield Jamboree' is the ATL equivalent of our Woodstock? I wasn't honestly sure. Regardless, looking forward to 1969 which, judging by your earlier post, will hopefully come sooner rather than later. :)

Yep, the Japanese aren't looking too good to me, either. And maybe the revolutionaries will play more of a helping hand in all this as well? :D

As for videogames, keep in mind that they were invented right here in the U.S. IOTL so it's pretty likely the same could very well happen here, too.

Awesome update. Now we get to wonder how the CDS is going to take down Japan. That island hopping campaign may just happen yet.

Incidentally, I've just found this at Clavework Graphics. A post-SGW Texan Screaming Eagle ?

F313_Me262A_Texas.jpg

Maybe someone read your TL, DBE, and really liked it. :D It's a pretty nice-looking warbird...

I just realized that you have ACT & Northern Territory as provinces in Australia. I don't know if that's the case ITTL (the search function is acting up again), but just letting you know that the RCS has an "Australia territory" color.

Hehe indeed that's the one I'm using, it's beyond me that I never noticed I had omitted the Australian territories in color...my bad. :eek:

Here's the latest version of the map, at the end of 1968.

world JUN1968 globe TL191.png

Very nice update, David!! Quite worth the wait. I look forward to more of the same quality. And, I hope, you'll be able to contribute enough time and thought to that as soonas possible.

First: Thanks for an interesting read.

I must admit that I had done things differently, but Turtledove devoted not much into developing the world outside North America.

Looking forward to see how the world evolves.

Concerning Austria Hungary: check out the idea of Aurel Popovici: United States of Greater Austria - It was something that was really considered (briefly ;))

It would solve some problems ITTL.

I am wondering how so many states with different cultures work together in the IM... ;)

Ukraine and belorussia should by now have adopted a more german aligned culture - and they were and are not really friends of the russians, so I am wondering if there is potential for further conflict - especially as the US have now (Russi) a direct overlap with the German sphere of influence.

BTW German and Austrian companies should have a great deal of influence in the Osman Empire (concerning they were Allies from 1915 on, I think it were German/Ausrtian firms who modernized Turkey) - So I have a bad feeling not knowing how Turkey froke away from the alliance.

And how did italy get Tunesia and the former french and British Posessions in Somalia?

First: Thanks for an interesting read.

You're welcome!

I must admit that I had done things differently, but Turtledove devoted not much into developing the world outside North America.

Looking forward to see how the world evolves.

I hope what I've written is plausible, for TL-191.

Concerning Austria Hungary: check out the idea of Aurel Popovici: United States of Greater Austria - It was something that was really considered (briefly ;))

It would solve some problems ITTL.

I think there might have been a brief reference of a "United States of Austria-Hungary" in the final book. For consistency's sake, I've struck to referring to the country as "Austria-Hungary."

For the most part, the political problems that affected the empire before the First Great War in TTL have been settled, though problems remain.

I am wondering how so many states with different cultures work together in the IM... ;)

The IM is far from monolithic, in spite of the propaganda from Brazil and the Ottoman Empire. The Independence Movement, by the end of the century, will be divided into several major factions.

Ukraine and belorussia should by now have adopted a more german aligned culture - and they were and are not really friends of the russians, so I am wondering if there is potential for further conflict - especially as the US have now (Russi) a direct overlap with the German sphere of influence.

Although the Russians and Germans still heavily dislike each other in TTL (as of 1969), neither country wants another major war.

BTW German and Austrian companies should have a great deal of influence in the Osman Empire (concerning they were Allies from 1915 on, I think it were German/Ausrtian firms who modernized Turkey) - So I have a bad feeling not knowing how Turkey froke away from the alliance.

It happened gradually in TTL, though I haven't given much thought to the process.

And how did italy get Tunesia and the former french and British Posessions in Somalia?

The Italians were pro-Central Powers during both Great Wars in TTL, but neutral. Had they entered the Second Great War, they would have gained more territory.

No prob Dave, I can't wait to read 1969! :D

Speaking of "1969", I'm afraid that that year still isn't completed. I should have it done by Monday evening.

Vexacus

Banned
While this update totally rocked, I sadly forsee the Japan of this TL being reduced to the same territory as the Japan of OTL