The Fountainhead Filibuster: Tales from Objectivist Katanga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, she was pretty adamant about being in control of her faculties AT ALL TIMES.

That's a really good point. I blame Mad Men for leading me to associate early 60's= booze everywhere.

I'm too lazy to do a retcon, but I don't think you'll spot The Leader drink in hand in the future.

On the subject, however, there's some who theorize her depression after the publication of Atlas Shrugged was made worse in part by her abuse of prescription amphetamines. Given that this was considered medical and not really thought of as "a drug" at the time, the door remains open on that one.

Just sayin.

Wolfpaw

Banned
That's a really good point. I blame Mad Men for leading me to associate early 60's= booze everywhere.
I find myself liking you more and more with every post you make :p

On the subject, however, there's some who theorize her depression after the publication of Atlas Shrugged was made worse in part by her abuse of prescription amphetamines. Given that this was considered medical and not really thought of as "a drug" at the time, the door remains open on that one.

Just sayin.
Oh, I shan't deny that. You'd be hard pressed to find people (especially housewives) that weren't pill-popping back in the '50s. I could easily see her abusing Bennies and chain-smoking like a mofo as things get more stressful.

Oh, I shan't deny that. You'd be hard pressed to find people (especially housewives) that weren't pill-popping back in the '50s. I could easily see her abusing Bennies and chain-smoking like a mofo as things get more stressful.

Keep following this line of thought. Remember, she's moving somewhere where there's no horrible collectivist individuality-crushing institutions like the Food and Drug Administration to tell you that meth is, you know, bad for you.

Wolfpaw

Banned
Frankly, I see Objectivist Katanga becoming Stalinist in all but name.

Rand had a raging hard-on for engineers and Industrialization. Now, what drives industrialization? Workers. But workers need food. So how do you feed them?

Well, you get purchase food from peasants. But what happens if you cannot afford said food, yet your ideology requires its acquisition?

Well, then you have the perfect makings of a Randian Emergency.

Wolfpaw

Banned
Keep following this line of thought. Remember, she's moving somewhere where there's no horrible collectivist individuality-crushing institutions like the Food and Drug Administration to tell you that meth is, you know, bad for you.

Stop making me love you.

I'm too lazy to do a retcon, but I don't think you'll spot The Leader drink in hand in the future.

Just sayin.

Oh, yeah, pep pills were medication prescribed by a doctor, and kept the mind alert.

Interestingly, when you take a look at her actions during her falling out with the Brandens, she comes across as being deep in an amphetamine-induced paranoia.

Frankly, I see Objectivist Katanga becoming Stalinist in all but name.
Well, then you have the perfect makings of a Randian Emergency.

What I love about AH.com is that the community does a hell of a lot of legwork for the writer: I was thinking about how "Real, Existing Objectivism" would deal with crisis situations necessitating a "state of exception" (Milton is foreshadowing this) and it turns out there's already a system for rationalizing this!

If I had notes for this project- which I don't, not written at least- I would swear Wolfpaw is reading them. I don't wanna write myself into a corner with spoilers, but I will say that you can see in what I've written already the almost Soviet-like progression of the Objectivist experiment from "we're ideologically kind of wacky but check out our huge ambitious infrastructure projects and modern architecture" to "oh shit this is falling apart, better resort to summary public executions of our not-officially-slave labor force!"

Oh, yeah, pep pills were medication prescribed by a doctor, and kept the mind alert.
They were also used by tank crews and soldiers for that reason.

They would probably be popular in war torn regions like Katanga if any of the mercenaries could acquire any.

Wolfpaw

Banned
If I had notes for this project- which I don't, not written at least- I would swear Wolfpaw is reading them.
Well, I see Objectivism for what it is: inverted Leninism.

As for doing the legwork, I'm glad to help in whatever small way I can :)

Status
Not open for further replies.