Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

The Empire of Prussia-Poland fared a little better than Austria-Hungary to the south. The Hohenzollern Dynasty still remained popular in the east, where the war had not had as great an impact, but the westernmost parts of the land were another matter. While the war had been popular at the beginning, the Year of Blood, the ever-increasing crippling rationing, and the subsequent German counter-attack eroded that support for both the war, and the Hohenzollern regime. Especially restive were the leaders of labor, such as was left in the industrial centers of Brandenburg. When the German army threatened the areas near Berlin, the remaining laborers and disaffected army troops rose up to overthrow the regime in Brandenburg, and welcomed their German brothers as liberators from the oppression of the Korsgaardian Hohenzollerns. The Empire of Germany was able to secure Brandenburg from the Oder River to the traditional borders of Saxony.

Liberated Brandenburg.png

Last edited:
Uffaa, finally read through all of this. A great TL.

It's lovely to see how Western democracies destroy the superauthoritarian kosgaardist regimes :DD

Glen

Uffaa, finally read through all of this. A great TL.

That's getting to be quite the achievement now! Thank you for your patronage and kind words!

It's lovely to see how Western democracies destroy the superauthoritarian kosgaardist regimes :DD

I am gratified that you are amused....

Little nitpicking: The liberated areas should be labelled "Befreites Brandenburg", not "befreiten" (wrong grammatical case). Apart of that, cool timeline. With just a little more border tweaking you'll get the Oder-Neisse line.

Glen

Little nitpicking: The liberated areas should be labelled "Befreites Brandenburg", not "befreiten" (wrong grammatical case). Apart of that, cool timeline. With just a little more border tweaking you'll get the Oder-Neisse line.

Sorry about that!

I considered Oder-Neisse, but I believe that Saxony would want all their traditional lands repatriated to them in the wake of the Global War, so the Neisse part won't happen.

Glen

Fixed it here and in the main timeline.

Gender, not case, no? Ich glaube dass "Gender" meint »Genus« oder »Geschlecht«, und "case", »Fall«.

English! Speak English! Bad enough my son's name is Hector!;)
Sorry, don't worry Voyager fixed it for you.
I just think he got the English grammatical terminology a bit wrong, IF I understood the reason for the change - I THINK the change is gender, not case, but that doesn't matter for your story - you've got the right form now.

Glen

Sorry, don't worry Voyager fixed it for you.
I just think he got the English grammatical terminology a bit wrong, IF I understood the reason for the change - I THINK the change is gender, not case, but that doesn't matter for your story - you've got the right form now.

Thanks for the clarification!

The Sides in the Global War (blue is the Liberal/West, red is the Korsgaardist/East):

Glen

Thanks for the map. Helped clarify a lot of things. Didn't realise how small Brazil was in TTL, at least compared to ours. Although think it has the main centres of population and wealth, at least before the war.

A Prussia without Brandenburg is going to be interesting. Especially since the Prussia/Poland state is now overhwelmingly Polish which could make for interesting political and linguistic questions.

Sounds like the wheels are coming off the kosgaardist regimes but I suspect there will be a lot more conflict before the dust settles. Given the number of states and the size of several of them there are likely to be some hold-outs, along with plenty of chaos where central power does go.

Steve

Glen

Glen

Thanks for the map. Helped clarify a lot of things. Didn't realise how small Brazil was in TTL, at least compared to ours. Although think it has the main centres of population and wealth, at least before the war.

More or less correct.

A Prussia without Brandenburg is going to be interesting. Especially since the Prussia/Poland state is now overhwelmingly Polish which could make for interesting political and linguistic questions.

I think overwhelmingly might be an overstatement - we tend to forget the mixed up mess of ethnicities that part was. However, the Poles will now definitely be the majority which will be interesting.

Sounds like the wheels are coming off the kosgaardist regimes but I suspect there will be a lot more conflict before the dust settles. Given the number of states and the size of several of them there are likely to be some hold-outs, along with plenty of chaos where central power does go.

Steve

Things are definitely not going well for them at this point - some harsh realities that they chose to ignore are coming home to roost.

Glen

As the Eastern Powers began to become unhinged in the waning days of the Global War, Chuen China found itself also being gradually pushed back out of the United States of China. Thus it should have come as little suprise when Chuen made a separate peace with the USC, returning the borders to the antebellum status quo, though agreeing to some hefty reparations to the USC citizens whose families had been killed, maimed, and dispossessed in the invaded provinces.

However, when Chuen China, greatly displeased by continued Russian failures to honor their previous agreements for border adjustments in Chuen China's favor declared themselves in favor of the Western Powers, and along with their allies, Korea, supported the Qings in declaring their full independence from Russia. The Manchurian uprising, supported by Chuen and Korean troops, drove the sparse Russian forces in the region all the way back to Siberia. While there was no love lost between the Qing of Manchuria, their joint interests made them allies of the moment. Chuen also unilaterally occupied the areas promised by Russia, sometimes with bloodshed.

The Flag of Manchuria adopted in 1892 (sometimes referred to as Qing China):

Flag of Manchuria.png

Why wouldn't the USC try to unify China?

I gather that they would certainly like to, but lack the manpower and industry to do it. Southern China contains substantially less than half the population of China as a whole, if I remember right, and also if I remember, it was messed up pretty bad by the revolution that formed the USC when the Qing collapsed. They were able to fend off the Chuen pretty well, but couldn't really follow up on that success.

I gather that they would certainly like to, but lack the manpower and industry to do it. Southern China contains substantially less than half the population of China as a whole, if I remember right, and also if I remember, it was messed up pretty bad by the revolution that formed the USC when the Qing collapsed. They were able to fend off the Chuen pretty well, but couldn't really follow up on that success.

Cylon_Number_14

The chaos caused by the revolution may be a factor but I think that for some centuries now the south has been the demographic centre of China, with a larger population in the Yangtze valley than the north. It could be that they simply don't think the have enough support in the north to make the decisive defeat of the Chuen either sure or cheap enough in blood.

Steve