The Fountainhead Filibuster: Tales from Objectivist Katanga

Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn't seem to be in the same state of the Mundanes, at least not yet. Also will we be seeing more of the construction of Galtville or are we going to be moving forward from this point?

There's gonna be some upcoming chapters filling in the late 50's and how Galtville comes to be, but after some background I'll be wanting to get into the rise (?) of Objectivist Katanga in the early 60's. It sure is a lot more fun to write!

You're also right on the other point- no, they aren't "mundanes"....yet.

Hey, Kurtz went into the jungle with good intentions, too, right?

EDIT: I'd actually like to ask about structure. I'm writing these things as they come to me, with a rough chronology that I'm trying to stick to and be coherent. So far, any inconsistencies about place names/legal status are intentional. Is my hopping around style of writing distracting? I'm afraid of getting "stuck" if I do chronological- after all, there's only so many "Ayn Rand scheming with economists and Belgian mining executives" scenes in me, and I love to skip ahead to the cooler, action-y stuff.

There's gonna be some upcoming chapters filling in the late 50's and how Galtville comes to be, but after some background I'll be wanting to get into the rise (?) of Objectivist Katanga in the early 60's. It sure is a lot more fun to write!

You're also right on the other point- no, they aren't "mundanes"....yet.

Hey, Kurtz went into the jungle with good intentions, too, right?
Good point, I'll be honest my knowledge of the Heartland of Africa is not all that accessive but I have still managed to get a good grasp of whats going on without having to do mountains of research which is more than I can say for some TL's.

Deleted member 40957

Is "Alan" really Alan Greenspan, or is the name just a joke/reference?

Edit: also, amazing job so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nebogipfel

Monthly Donor
EDIT: I'd actually like to ask about structure. I'm writing these things as they come to me, with a rough chronology that I'm trying to stick to and be coherent. So far, any inconsistencies about place names/legal status are intentional. Is my hopping around style of writing distracting? I'm afraid of getting "stuck" if I do chronological- after all, there's only so many "Ayn Rand scheming with economists and Belgian mining executives" scenes in me, and I love to skip ahead to the cooler, action-y stuff.

No problem so far - I like the style. But wait with the endgame for later :D

Thinking about the TL, I am sure the events would have a vast impact on the popular culture of this timeline. Also, it is just perfectly made for a 70s Werner Herzog or Coppola movie.

No problem so far - I like the style. But wait with the endgame for later :D

Thinking about the TL, I am sure the events would have a vast impact on the popular culture of this timeline. Also, it is just perfectly made for a 70s Werner Herzog or Coppola movie.

Even better, things all the exploatation movies of the 70's...think of Shaft vs Rand, or the spy movie and tv series of the 60's getting a series of bilionaries/cult leader try to enstablish their country (i image a Get Smart episode about that)

Is "Alan" really Alan Greenspan, or is the name just a joke/reference?

Edit: also, amazing job so far.

This TL is the name-droppingest TL. Jean-Phillipe Lissouba is the only fictional character so far, and only then because there weren't any famous "random Katangan mine-worker" figures I could name-drop.

I fucking love this, ESPECIALLY because we read the Fountainhead in my English class and my teacher seems to love Ayn Rand and making fun of it has became a running gag among my friends and I. Keep this up!

Glad to see Katanga isn't a hellhole from the get go. Stange, but not yet a hell hole.

It doesn't start that way, no. As you might have gathered, Katangan independence doesn't go down like it did in real life, and overall the Congo in this TL stays way better than OTL up until....say......63 or 64.

Then it stops being that way.

Last edited:
Bob Denard as the Straight Man in Katanga? Nice.

I'll be following this. ^_^

Last edited:

Nebogipfel

Monthly Donor
Even better, things all the exploatation movies of the 70's...think of Shaft vs Rand, or the spy movie and tv series of the 60's getting a series of bilionaries/cult leader try to enstablish their country (i image a Get Smart episode about that)

The 70s Bonds also come to mind ...

And imagine meters of bookshelfs full of novels trying to refight the thing in a military-SF setting :eek:

The 70s Bonds also come to mind ...

Moonraker will be good perfect with the bad guy as Rand expy

And imagine meters of bookshelfs full of novels trying to refight the thing in a military-SF setting :eek:

Damn, Weber and Ringo will have a field day to present the Rand and Co. expy as the good guys, instead Williamson and Kratman (space marine) will adore put the objectivist ubershmen against the depravated, coward, inept, evil, tyrannical force of the space U.N.

Damn, Weber and Ringo will have a field day to present the Rand and Co. expy as the good guys, instead Williamson and Kratman (space marine) will adore put the objectivist ubershmen against the depravated, coward, inept, evil, tyrannical force of the space U.N.

Well, keep in mind that to counter this narrative, the ATL UN has a "founding military myth." and among much of the global left (hell, not even just leftists- probably most of the global left-to-center-right) there will be a sentiment that MONUC were fighting the good fight, so to speak.

I have no ideas how this will work with butterflies down the road, but with Vietnam going differently and the UN having some heroic battles to put to their name, liberal interventionism is going to look a lot more popular IATL.

What does that mean for fiction? Especially science fiction? Well, let's just say some rubber-monster-punching embodiments of 1960's liberalism will be a little more smug about intervening on savage planets to stop barbarism.

I'm wondering if the reverse will also happen- if Katanga holds on for a few years or even decades, would this give common cause to the Rhodesians, South Africans, and Portuguese to "preserve civilized Africa" and rally around. While much of the world sees them as an evil empire of neo-imperialism (and while the Belgians, Israelis, CIA, and British and French intelligence agencies funnel covert aid to them). Is there any chance that this also leads to increased aid to Biafra's secession movement?

I'm pretty sure the Objectivist Katanga being the prime factor in the MONUC military legend would provide the basis of the Prime Directive for liberals and science fiction authors: the prime purpose of UN military interventions are not to impose neo-colonial rule on "barbaric" developing countries, but to help counter neo-colonialism and offset the damage done by colonialism and by modern inequities. A UN military that exists to stop mercenaries, outside funding of warlords, the blood diamond trade, the international drug and human trafficking market, etc.

What does that mean for fiction? Especially science fiction? Well, let's just say some rubber-monster-punching embodiments of 1960's liberalism will be a little more smug about intervening on savage planets to stop barbarism.

Kirk without a leash? Oh Boy:D

I'm pretty sure the Objectivist Katanga being the prime factor in the MONUC military legend would provide the basis of the Prime Directive for liberals and science fiction authors: the prime purpose of UN military interventions are not to impose neo-colonial rule on "barbaric" developing countries, but to help counter neo-colonialism and offset the damage done by colonialism and by modern inequities. A UN military that exists to stop mercenaries, outside funding of warlords, the blood diamond trade, the international drug and human trafficking market, etc.

Remember the big five will be still on the driver seat so don't expect too much autonomy; realistically the Rules of engagements of the blue berrets will be a 'little' less stringent and they will have more heavy equipment from the beginning. Expect here than a debacle like OTL Bosnia or Somalia will not be permitted

Yeah, I wouldn't count on the U.N. getting too potent, but perhaps this could inspire a "peacekeeping bloc" composed of neutral-leaning first world nations (Canada, Ireland, Italy maybe) and NAM third world powers itching to prove themselves (India, Brazil, Pakistan)? And lead to institutional reforms that bolster peacekeeping abilities and provide organization. Having Dag around, or his capable assistants such as Brian Urquhart could be valuable.

And in this vein, I present to you literary critique and Cold War historical interpretation from a right-wing nut (it's a review of Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible):

Yes, the Congo was an important flashpoint during the Cold War because of it's deposits of minerals & industrial diamonds. Both the US and the Soviet Union had an interest in maintaining access to these resources. Obviously, these interests were potentially threatened by Congolese independence.

Belgium was undeniably an oppressive taskmaster during most of her stewardship over the Congo. But by the time of independence that had changed. First of all, Belgium had decided to grant independence, but wanted to move slowly because, and this was clearly Belgium's own fault, there were so few natives with professional training. But, contrary to Kingsolver's assertion, Congo had one of the highest literacy rates in Africa, over 40%. In addition, industrial production was growing rapidly and the country has vast natural resources. The underlying conditions seemed to be favorable for a gradual transition to a successful independent nation.

Instead, the Congolese demanded immediate independence and Belgium acquiesced. Patrice Lumumba, who even those sympathetic to his cause concede was unbalanced, became the fledgling nation's first Prime Minister on June 30, 1960, and within five days native troops mutinied and began raping and slaughtering whites and natives alike. Belgium sent her own troops back in to try to restore order and Katanga province, under the Christian and pro-Western leader Moise Tshombe, declared its independence from the Congo. Lumumba immediately aligned himself with the Soviet Union.

The UN, under the notoriously anti-Western Dag Hammarskjold, intervened and sent in troops to prop up Lumumba & quell the uprising in Katanga. This intervention was the bloodiest episode in UN history as UN planes actually ran bombing missions in Katanga. The UN troops used in this exercise specifically excluded Western Bloc nations like America. Hammarskjold viewed the UN as a sort of third side in the Cold War; a secular, liberal, non-aligned alternative to East and West.

In the months that followed, President Joseph Kasavubu demanded that Lumumba step down but he refused. Troops under Joseph Mobutu staged a coup and shipped a badly beaten Lumumba to Katanga where he was murdered. (There is some evidence that the CIA wanted Lumumba assassinated, but internal Congolese politics beat them to the punch.) Tshombe eventually abandoned Katanga's drive for secession and became Prime Minister of the entire Congo before Mobutu drove him into exile.

Obviously that isn't going to happen, but imagine how bad anti-U.N. conspiracy theory will even be in this timeline! Objectivism and anti-internationalism, oh boy! Click on the link above for more hilarity.

Humm Rand as the right wing version of the Che? Scary, really scary
BTW here Hubbard played a little but pivotal role in put Ayn in a new direction, little Ron was always a megalomaniac glory-seeker, so i see him milk all the publicity telling to everyone that was him to really inspire the endevour...and when the shit hit the fan it will be a PR nightmare for his new religion, can this put him on the black list of J. Edgar Hoover? It will be the ultimate showdown of destiniy:D

Status
Not open for further replies.