Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

I was planning a timeline on an international alternative to the Eurovision Song Contest, called the International Song Contest. Is anybody intrested?

Well I wasn't sure. The contest's format would probably invovled countries's choosing an artist from their land with a big hit from that year in that country alone. It would make some artists have different success, as they would become popular worldwide.

What do you think the format should be?

I was going to start in 1957, as that's the year the Billboard charts and the Grammy's began.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about a TL where The Matrix's sequels are actually good, if not better than the original, and this influences the science-fiction genre for the rest of the 2000s.
By all means, go for it! Those movies were some of biggest follow-up disappointments in film IOTL, perhaps second only to the Star Wars prequels. It might be interesting to see what becomes of the various principals; none of them really recovered from it.

I was planning a timeline on an international alternative to the Eurovision Song Contest, called the International Song Contest. Is anybody intrested?
Certainly! That sounds like a lot of fun. The logistics and bureaucracy would be a nightmare, but it would be a novel way to help bring people together in the Cold War era.

Certainly! That sounds like a lot of fun. The logistics and bureaucracy would be a nightmare, but it would be a novel way to help bring people together in the Cold War era.

I must let you know though that it is my first timeline. I'm suggesting we could make it a collberative timeline in order for me to learn, as well as making it not fall apart.

Anyone wanna do a collabarative timeline on my International Song Contest idea?

Collaborative as in anyone could add to it? Maybe. I have some idea personally, though it would depend on what you mean by "no hits out of the country".

But what if Canada sends Rush in 1976, right after the release of 2112, and they win. The album is very anti-communist but also has very obvious negative takes on oppression by religion. What would the response be from the USSR, and from the Catholic Church? And from any other number of institutions.

The album never got controversial in OTL because it was their breakthrough album and Rush at the time was nerd band (the reason there much bigger today is because nerds win). That would be a hell of a story to tell. Canada fights communism with crazy fucking prog rock.

Collaborative as in anyone could add to it? Maybe. I have some idea personally, though it would depend on what you mean by "no hits out of the country".

But what if Canada sends Rush in 1976, right after the release of 2112, and they win. The album is very anti-communist but also has very obvious negative takes on oppression by religion. What would the response be from the USSR, and from the Catholic Church? And from any other number of institutions.

The album never got controversial in OTL because it was their breakthrough album and Rush at the time was nerd band (the reason there much bigger today is because nerds win). That would be a hell of a story to tell. Canada fights communism with crazy fucking prog rock.

Erm, I don't think so. The timeline would have to be popular songs from the year, nice try though

What if Rick Astley's "Together Forever" becomes the video used to "Rick Roll" rather than "Never Gonna Give You Up"? The background tunes are similar in both songa.

What I hope to do with New World Films:

Pull all kinds of talent from around the world, into working for the “Alliance”, producing and creating, growing in abilities and training newcomers (i.e. Spielberg, Lucas, Ridley Scott, Shusuke Kaneko, Bernardo Bertolucci, etc.) also revitalizing actors and filmmakers that have been blacklisted or have fallen on hard times.
Show positive portrayals of foreigners, minorities, gay/lesbians, etc. (except as villains maybe).

And hire actors that match the national origins of a film to dub, (For example, Japanese Americans dubbing Japanese movies (unless they are subbed).

Produce at least (or most) 25% of prestigious OTL films and/or those considered great but not filmed.

With at least three studios carrying the burden of budgets, there will be more funds for important parts like special effects, locations, accuracy, etc.

Produce at most 50% of franchises through: film, television, radio, music, novels, and comics.

Here are some of the franchises that NWF will make: Godzilla, Bond, Ultraman, Superman, Batman, Dracula, Frankenstein, Kolchak, Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Law and order, Marx Bros films, Indiana Jones…I have got at least 10 pages of ideas for this in Word.

And perhaps most important (outside of pop culture), NWF will back the Screen Actors Guild and other unions set up in this time period.

In closing, here’s a preview of coming attraction in the vein of the epilogue to History of the World Part I..

See Godzilla fight the Devil, Kong, Superman, and a giant werewolf Richard Nixon!

See Judy Garland win the Oscar she deserved!

See Groucho Marx as the Exorcist!

See a serious sixties Batman!

See Kirk and Uhura…married with children?!

But nothing, I mean nothing can prepare you for the Legen….dary! Epicness! Of..

NEW WORLD FILMS!!!!

Brought to you by a crazed ex-veteran and Mayoral Candidate for the Cedar Rapids elections in 2013