Pro Aris et Pro Focis (P&S: New York City)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Farson

Banned
To be fair evacuating New York isn't really easy.Based on census data New York had around 7 million residents in 1984.This doesn't include the rest of the Metropolitan area extending into New Jersey and Connecticut.While in hindsight it might appear foolish there are practical problems with this where will these people stay who will feed them,law and order concerns.Most residents don't have a place to go since most cities in the Northwest are close to targets themselves.And there would probably be other concerns like if they evacuate and nothing happens then next election which would be in 1985 Koch is out.There would also be a degree of fatalism since nukes have long been considered unsurvivable in the public mind Koch might simply say we're doomed regardless either we die in the nuclear strikes or end up dead due to disease and famine later.Finally there would be practical matters like routes of evacuation,since this would be the single biggest evacuation in US history.Looking at a mapt the only place to go would probably be somewhere in Delaware or Sullivan counties far enough from New York city proer but not so far that transportation becomes difficult.Closer to New York would be risky since an astute planer has to take into account the Indian Point nuclear powerplant which may or may not be targeted but why risk it.Going into New Jersey is not indicated since you have Trenton to the south and several bases Mcguire AFB,Fort Dix,and others into Connecticut no besides targets in the state possible fallout from New York would spread there.

I don't mean to be rude, but could you consider pushing Space after the periods and commas, as well as separating your text into paragraphs? You have interesting points, but reading it is always a chore.

I'm going to take ivfl's excellent post and make it part of the story. Thank you very much!

Thursday, 16 February 1984
0700 hours
Officer's Call
5th State Guard Regiment

Colonel Capparelli said, "Gentlemen, allow me to introduce Mr. Martin of the New York State Office of Emergency Management. Mr. Martin, thank you for coming so early to see us."

Martin was a haggard man in a fresh suit. "Thank you, Colonel. I'll tell you the assessment from the Governor's office. The situation in Germany is getting tenser and tenser. There are reports coming in from Switzerland that the Soviets will be issuing some sort of ultimatum today, and President Reagan will address the nation tonight.

"I have to tell you that the Governor believes that war is inevitable. Having said that, he has to determine what can be saved in New York State. The answer is 'not many'."

"Do you think anyone will get evacuated?" another officer asked Martin .

"It's not going to be easy," the City planner said. "Let's look at the census data. The last census had around 7 million residents, and that's an undercount. The Metropolitan area, Jersey, and Connecticut, are going to add another 7 million."

"We get all fourteen million out. To where? Sullivan County? Orange? The center of the State? You know and I know if the bombs fall, Albany and Schenectady get one, Fort Drum gets one, Seneca Army Depot gets a few, Plattsburg gets some, and of course, if the Russians like Canada, Ottowa, Toronto, and Montreal will be adding fallout to the center of the state.

New Jersey? Philly, Trenton, Fort Dix/McGuire, Newark, and Cape May will get hit. No way."

The officers nodded.

"Even if we get them out, how are we going to house them and feed them? How are we going to deal with sanitation?

"There are law and order questions. Some of these people are drug addicts who will do anything for a fix. They might decide to take food and shelter from the locals, who will shoot back.

"We're not the only city with this problem. Where will Philly go? Pittsburgh? Boston?"

"You're preaching to the choir," the Lieutenant said.

"Here's something else to think about... what happens if the bombs don't fall?"

"I hope so," Capparelli said.

"We all do. But if we evacuate and we don't have to, Mayor Koch and the borough presidents will be thrown out on their butts. Maybe not Staten Island, but definitely Kings, Queens, Bronx, and Manhattan. The City Council? They may lose some seats, though I doubt it."

"If the bombs do fall, 'twere best they go quickly. We may not even sound the sirens. All it will do is get people killed in a more gruesome way than going in a nuclear fireball."

"In short, New York City will not be evacuated. Those who can get out on their own are welcome to. Those who cannot will have to run the risk."

Capparelli said, "Gentlemen. Our orders from the Governor are to assist the New York City and State Police in maintaining order in New York City while it is feasible. When it is not feasible, we will withdraw to a rally point in Sullivan County, where we will assist in maintaining order among survivors.

"It's not Thermopylae, but it comes close."

Hadleyburg, Pennsylvania
The Lodge/The Mine
0900 hours

"I'm sorry, Joan, but we can't build what you want."

The Lieutenant's wife looked at her brothers-in-law. "What's the problem?"

"We can't get enough wood," Mark said. "You can only buy one hundred dollars' worth of construction materials. Everyone is trying to build a fallout shelter, and the State government started to ration it."

"We got what we could, but we can't build two cofferdams. We can only build one. But - we can take the material that we were going to pile between the cofferdams, make one cofferdam, and pile it on the outside.

"That's going to mean a lot more dirt and rock to pile there," she said. "I have an idea. Why don't we cut down some of these trees and use them for the outer cofferdam? We need four feet of earth to protect the shelter."

"Where will we put the door?"

"Why I don't let you guys figure that out?" the Lieutenant's wife replied.

"We don't have enough wood for that, we don't have enough wood to put up the bedding," Joanna said.

"Why can't we rig hammocks?" Robbie said. "It was good enough for the Navy."

"Possibly. Time is of the essence."

Last edited:
(1) Corpus Christi, and most other major cities in Texas, would get one and maybe more than one nuclear weapon. Plus, there's a lot of military bases in the state of Texas, including Carswell in Fort Worth (Turner Gill's house was probably destroyed or burned in the strikes on the Metroplex).

William Johnston looked at a possible scenario for the Rio Grande Valley: http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/nuclear/nukergv.html

...and for the US overall, focusing on Texas in particular:
http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/nuclear/nuclearwar1.html

"Grim" doesn't begin to describe it.

Last edited:
Well, mr. Martins' decision might be the only possible one under circumstances. But it is cruel. Realistic nonetheless.

Two questions:

Will you show the attack on New York City?

Will you take it past February 21st?

Good story so far.

Two questions:

Will you show the attack on New York City?

Personally, I'd be surprised if he didn't. What writer would pass that up? ;)

Then again, it could be like Tom Hanks in Cast Away, they didn't show him immediately re-entering society, they cut away to a month or so after the fact.

Simply getting folks out of NYC is a huge problem - even if here were someplace for them to go etc. Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan all have to be evacuated to the "mainland" via a very small number of routes (bridges/tunnels) that are jammed on normal commuting days. Furthermore the VAST majority of New Yorkers don't own cars. Oh, and don't forget the you really ought to evacuate Long Island due to the targets there and also the fallout from Connecticut targets (there are lots) will land big time - and essential all LI evac passes through the NYC bottleneck. Realistically what you would need to do is have folks take public transit (subways best) to the bridges/tunnels, or in to the Bronx & thence to the end of the line, where buses would then shuttle them to their final destination or further staging points. Which tunnel or bridge you'd go to would be based on your home address to ensure best possible flow of folks. As can be seen, an essentially impossible undertaking.

I haven't forgotten Staten Island - but there much higher % have cars, and would use one of the bridges to go to NJ & onwards.

I guess i should be flattered by someone taking inspiration from me.Sorry if some people have trouble reading through what i write.I usually had the same problem in high school.:D I also read the Johnston archive take on what a nuclear war would have been in the late '80s.In all honesty 1987-88 would probably have been the worst possible period for a nuclear war at least for the US.That was the time the number of available soviet warheads which could conceivably have reached North America peaked.The soviets where at the time introducing new subs in service with better capabilities than what came before.Also 1987 was the year the Tu-160 entered service with the air force the fastest known bomber on the planet.The USSR was seriously trying to reduce its dependency on ICBMs and increasing the importance of bombers and subs but then the Wall fell and the rest is history.One last detail after 1988 with the INF treaty entering into full force the number of warheads the soviets had to target China and Western Europe decreased so their strategy had to be changed accordingly.So the worst year for a nuke fest would be 1988 since they peaked around that time with their capabilities.

John Farson

Banned
I guess i should be flattered by someone taking inspiration from me.Sorry if some people have trouble reading through what i write.I usually had the same problem in high school.:D

So why don't you press the spacebar after periods and commas and use paragraphs?:confused: No really, I'm not trying to be a spelling or grammar Nazi here but my eyes hurt every time I try to read through your text.

Sullivan County seems like it'd be safe enough (especially if Newburgh and Poughkeepsie are missed, which they might be, IMO).

At least Governor Cuomo is waking up.

Where is Hadleyburg? (It's fictional, I know, but where is it in Pennsylvania?)

Please don't have a certain assistant coach from Penn State in this story, GAB-1955 (you know who I mean).

Last edited:
Thursday, 16 February 1984
2100 hours
New York State television and radio stations

Announcer: "This is an official announcement from the Governor's Office in Albany. Please stand by."

"This is Governor Mario Cuomo. We have heard the reports from Washington and Moscow. We all will continue to pray that reason holds and peace will prevail. Our own Forty-Second Division is in our prayers, as are the men of the Twenty-Seventh Division and the Tenth Mountain Division from Fort Drum.

"New York State is in business and will remain in business. We cannot afford to have the most important city in the most important state in the Nation stop working. Therefore, I am announcing that all State functions will remain open to serve the citizens of New York. The Legislature will stay in session, though it, and my office, will move to a location to be disclosed later. Laws will be enforced, and revenues will be collected. Places to receive government services will be announced shortly.

"There is no need to panic. However, to avoid unnecessary congestion and concerns, I am suspending all public schools and colleges in the State of New York for the duration of this crisis.

"In addition, I am instituting fuel and building materials conservation measures, in cooperation with the governors of bordering States. Effective as of now, motor vehicle purchasers are limited to buying ten gallons of gasoline, Diesel fuel, or kerosene a day. Construction materials are limited to one hundred dollars per household; commercial sites will have their own restrictions.

"I ask the citizens of this great state to remember that we are great because of what we do and how well we do it. We love New York. God bless New York, and God bless you."

Announcer: "We now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcasts."

... Islanders on the power play, Potvin shoots, bounces off the goalpost. Rangers ahead three to two, third period...

Last edited:
I'm hoping the Lieutenant survives.

He'll be one of the few members who might.

What's this part entitled (it's sixteen or seventeen), GAB-1955?

New York City will get pounded, IMO.

I'm hoping the Lieutenant survives.

He'll be one of the few members who might.

What's this part entitled (it's sixteen or seventeen), GAB-1955?

New York City will get pounded, IMO.

Take a paper map of New York City. Pin it to a wall.

Stand back two meters and fire a shotgun round at it.

Now fire another.

What's left of the map?

Status
Not open for further replies.