28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

I don't see the Soviets doing anything since the POD is in 2002 and the USSR collapsed in 1991...

thwey could have a resurgence of them...perhaps antoehr small civil war behind the curtain (and even then i dont think any of the factions would go near the defensive line...nonones stupid enough to risk being overwhelmed by bloodthirsty maniacs just to get in power)

JSmith

Banned
Maybe you should concentrate on the effects on the non-infected world rather than keep the infection spreading!
Maybe not concentrate but at least include that. I could see the United States becoming an armed camp in reaction.

I don't see the Soviets doing anything since the POD is in 2002 and the USSR collapsed in 1991...

Really meant the system more than anything, and you have to admit that given the situation martial law has more than likely been declared...

Also these troops probably have their families behind them, making them even more likely to not let _anything_ through period.

When shall there be more?

Hope fully soon :)

Probably best to scrap the idea of a wipespread outbreak in Russia and instead focus on how the rest of the world copes, including Russia behind the new iron curtain that springs up along its borders with infected Europe.

Hnau

Banned
I see the minutiae of the Rage Virus War being important only in allowing us to see A) which areas are infected, B) how long certain areas of the world would have to evacuate their populations and C) what kind of collateral damage happens to the environment. I think you could be much less detailed in your installments of how it spreads.

But I'm still lovin' it! :D I would like to see more info about the rest of the world, though.

I'm thinking, it's still Spring/early Summer, plenty of time to allow Rage to continue to spread. Winter should slow it considerably or even stop it as victims die in the snow/cold or starve before Spring (hopefully). But that's a _long_ ways off...

thanks for the comments people, should be updating soon. I may focus on the state of survivor countries in Europe next deal , maybe deal with the remnants of the Romanian Army holding out in the Carpathian Mountains, the Ukrainian safe zone in Crimea, refugees being turned away from a the "full up lifeboat" of Switzerland ect' ect. Possibly some small scale wars will reupt between survivor states over resources when the infection becomes less of a problem as the virus dies out.

Until my next proper update in the TL ive got this for now :

From New York Times bestseller Death of a Nation

"I had been a few days since the shit had hit the fan. I didnt take it seriously the first day or two, i saw snippets of news in the morning before work about riots in Cambridge, but i just thought it was drunk students, nothing more. Then people started talking about it at work, i took an interest then, all kinds of crazy rumours about "super rabies" - thats what some people called it in the begining. It was when one of my colleagues in the office showed me a video had been emailed from his brother in Cambridge that i began to worry, the video showed some policemen fighting against rioters in the street, but one of the coppers suddenly fell to the road, convulsing and vomiting blood, then he gets back up and starts mauling the other coppers.

Anyway, i watched the news for hours on end when i got home that night, the "infection" was spreading towards Bedford. I grabbed a suitcase and packed mystuff, got in the car and headed for my brothers place in London. Roads were jammed, everybody had heard the news about the rampaging hordes in Cambridge and Peterbourgh, about the super rabies spreading towards Bedford. Cars were all stuck bumper to bumper once i got onto the M1. It was dark so it was near impossible to see how far the traffic jam extended, just what looked like an endless line of red lights from the back of cars. By the time i reached Luton four hours later the radio as saying the infected had overrun Bedford.

I ran out of petrol and had to abandon the car by the side of the road, a local church took me in, as they had with dozens of refugees seeking shelter. Locals had donated blankets and the church had a little soup kitchen set up for us run by the Salvation Army.

A lof of people crowded around me as we all listened to my battery operated radio throughout the night. The BBC said that Bedford was burning, Peterbourgh was a warzone, that there were riots in Northampton and rumours of infected being sighted in Milton Keynes. Then the batteries died, and our only sourse of information dried up. Mobile phones networks in the area were overloaded so nobody was getting information from the outside whatsoever.

We all slept on makeshift beds on the church floor that night, about 80 people in all. We were all suddenly awakened by the sound of explosions outside and helicopters and planes overhead. The stained glass windows burst inwards as an artillery shell landed a few meters from the church, the decades old roof partially collapsed crushing several people as they tried to get out.

Evacuation orders had gone out over the radio as we slept, when the government realised the infection was approaching the town fast, but we wern't able to get the information as my radio had died, and the local priest hadn't come back to inform us, i've no idea what happened to him.

Turns out the military thought everyone had evacuated, a miscommunication they called it later on, i call it a major fuck up. As the infected stormed the town, the military stormed it too. With tanks and infantry, supported by choppers, RAF jets, mortars and howitzers.

The noise was deafening, and in the ensuing panic we all tried to flee the church, flames from burning cars and houses lit up the night sky, crators from artillery were all over the road and pavements. The smell of charred bodies was almost overpowering. I saw a family of three blown up when an artillery shell landed right on them, nothing was left apart from blood and a few bits of their bodies lying in a nearby tree. Others were mauled by the infected as they rampaged through the streets, attacking anybody they could get their bloody hands on.

I kept running as fast as i could, eventually getting onto the main road where the army had a checkpoint set up, shooting at everything that movedm believing all civilians in Luton had been either killed or evacuated already.

The last thing i remember was feeling a huge burning pain my my right shoulder as i ran towards the soldiers, then i blanked out. When i woke up i was in a tent at a Red Cross field hospital in Hyde Park in London, recovering from a gunshot wound inflicted by jumpy soldiers. Turns out i was one of the few survivors of the Luton masscare, some say i was one of the "lucky ones".

If watching people you know die and living with those images for the rest of your days is lucky, i guess im very luck then. Id rather be one of the dead."

Paul Dawkins commited suicide 4 days after writing this segment for the book

Last edited:
well, it look theare ar enow ideas about this thread; how about, the reaction in USA or South America, ;
maybe, i don't people in Asia seeing the inminent fall of the rest of the continent (and maybe the rest of Europe), try to seek refuge in this part of the world; how will be the reaction to this countries; mayeb they will try to unite themsleves to avoid a massive influx of people, and of course infection; differenet to USa, that could be open with arms

Russia holds the line
Although there were a very small number of outbreaks in Russia, all were ultimately cleared up quickly with a strong military response, the infected towns on the Ukrainian border were sealed off with mines and barbed wire and pounded with aircraft and artillery and until nothing was left. The detonation of nuclear weapons in the overrun Ukrainian cities of Donetsk and Lugansk also thinned the remaining infecteds numbers.

The Russian Federation had been spared the chaos that Europe had witnessed for the most part.

By the end of May 2003, George W Bush informed the members of his cabinet that a ground invasion of Iraq would not go ahead, although more subtle means to dealing with Saddams weapons of mass destruction - should they be found to exist - should be brought into play.

In both Canada and Australia, countries will strong links to the UK and hosting fairly large refugee populations, many of these people were reluctantly accepting that they would never return home, that the motherland was a lost cause. Many took on Australian and Canadian citizenship and integrated with their hosts.

Africa, as always was a mess. But now it looked like their was no hope for the continent, with all aid from Europe having dried up, and the worlds attention and resources focused on infection ravage Europe, starvation and malnutrition became far more prevalant than OTL, and rebel movements in many countries gained more support from the public in their countries, who blamed their corrupt governments for their suffering. Already ongoing civil wars in Liberia , Sierra Leone and Congo grew worse and worse, spilling into neiggbouring countries and leaving many thousands dead or missing.

In Libya, the regime of Muammar al-Gaddafi was beginning to struggle economically with the end of all oil trade between Libya and Europe, although this was somewhat compensated by increased selling of oil to North America. The Libyan economy struggled even worse as Italian refugee's drained resources, and attacks on refugee camps near Tripoli increased.

The public become more angry and bold as the price of food and fuel began to soar, even baby foruma was becoming expensive. A crowd of several hundred began to protest over the untennable cost of living in the city of Derna in eastern Libya, followed soon after by the second largest city of Benghazi.

Perhaps things would have turned out differently had Gaddafi not ordered his army to put down the protests. As such, he did give the order, and 200 people were shot dead in the streets of Benghazi between 1 and 2 June.

After the Benghazi Massacre, many horrified soldiers refused orders to continue firing on protesters, and defected to the side of the opposition, who were still protesting, no longer calling for lower prices, but rather "The people want to topple the regime".

Civil War broke out as forces loyal to Gaddafi tried to storm into the eastern Cyrenecia province, under rebel control within a few days of the uprisings start.

Gaddafi's army began shelling Benghazi after seizing rebel controlled oil ports in Brega and Ras Lanuf, and taking the city of Ajdabiya. By 14 July, after six weeks of civil war, Gaddafi had seized back control of the east, and was mopping up resistance in the Nafusa Mountains in the rest, engaging in what some would have considered ethnic clensing on berber tribes. (Without NATO intervention, the rebellion was pretty much doomed).

Resistance would continue in the form of geurilla warfare for years to come, Gaddafi would eventually be assassinated in a bomb explosion three years later, and a military junta would take power and lead to a gradual roadmap to western style democracy.

In Asia, entire economies had collapsed, and both China and Japan were struggling to keep their currencies from entirely going into free fall. Things would eventually stabilse on the economic front two years or so after the infection had been unable to spread out of Europe.

Europe itself was now a povert stricken ruin. Spain and Portugal had survived intact, as had Switzerland and the Scandiavian countires (except Denmark). The southern tip Greece and the the Medeteranian islands all made it through. But they suffered from severe poverty, economic ruin, rampant disease and resourse drain due to the massive influx of refugees.

Some what ironically was the state of the former United Kingdom, which was actually improving, the resettlement areas set up American led NATO forces before the Europe outbreak had manage to establish contact with eachother and form a loose federation of communities that swere dotted around England, Scotland and Wales. My early 2006, the Federation of Great Britain was proclaimed in St Andrews, Scotland, which included St Andews, the most affluent of the resettled areas, as well as the Isle of Wight, Dover, Folkstone, Portsmouth, Fort William and Angelsey. Smaller villages near these towns were later cleared of bodies and wreckage and also resettled, and rudimentary phone lines and power lines were set up or reconnected, allowing communication between the citizens of the British Federation of some 30,000 estimated people. The Federation was run by a joint civilian and military council upon its proclamation, with plans for elections in 2008.

Perhaps the most well off country in Europe was the Republic of Ireland, owing to its geography no infected reached the country, and overland refugee flows were not a problem. Of course, the economic climate was hardly great, and over 60,000 UK refugees and 5,000 French refugees, were clustered in camps around Dublin, but the country was getting by fairly well.

By 2012, most of the European continent remained a desolate wasteland, nobody wanted to venture into the ruins, except a few enterprising individuals in search of loots, or sometimes military recon teams from survivor countries. Russia had moved its army into the mostly abandoned former Baltic states and Belarus to "protect the survivors from roaming bands of armed gangs that are preying on the people". The infection has died years earlier, so all that was left to do was clean up. And Vladimir Putin was there to oversee it. Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Belarus, Ukraine...all once more under the control of Moscow.

Scientists at the Centres for Disease Control in Atlanta finally made a breakthrough on 1 August 2012, creating a succesful vaccine to prevent infection. It was too little too late many observers pointed out, the infection had burned itself out many years earlier, the only surviving samples of it remained in secure government labs.

Over all, the Rage Virus and the chaos that came with it lead to the death of over 630 million people. Many more that physically survived were so emotionally scarred that they may as well have been dead.

The tale of Rage is one that will undoubtebly live on for millenia, something that historians a thousand years from now will still talk about in awe.

The question many people want answered...could it ever come back ?

Last edited:

JSmith

Banned
Thanks for all your hard work on this. I was afraid that the 28 universe would never have a extensive timeline. You have provided a great one and inspired others -as exhibited by the Rage in New Zealand thread. Well done.

an excellent ending; it has to finish in one way; or total extinction or a victory over the virus; a t least it was good to see the second scenary happen;

a good map will fit erfectly

an excellent ending; it has to finish in one way; or total extinction or a victory over the virus; a t least it was good to see the second scenary happen;

a good map will fit erfectly

Made this up in photoshop earlier, its not perfect but i think its ok.

Spread of the Rage Virus at its peak in June 2003

europe.jpg

1. Federation of Great Britain

2. United Republic of Ireland

3. Kingdom of the Netherlands

4. Iberian Union

5. Alpine Alliance (Switzerland united with remnants of western Austria, southern Bavaria and northern Italy)

6. Corsica (French remnants)

7. Sardinia Republic

8. Republic of Sicilia

9. Greece

10. Carpathia (formerly Romania)

11. Ukraine (annexed by Russia in 2004)

12. Russian Federation

13. Norway, Finland, Sweden and island of Zealand (Denmark).

Note : some of these nations did not come into existance and/or formal unification until several years after the outbreak. Map is dated before the Russian "liberation" of Belarus and the former Baltic States.

Also note Britain is a federal Republic as opposed to a monarchy, largely due to the Royal Family being unable to return, and a severe lack of communications with the rest of the world, plus many felt the Royals had abandoned Britain and as such wished to become a republic.

europe.jpg

Last edited:
Made this up in photoshop earlier, its not perfect but i think its ok.

Spread of the Rage Virus at its peak in June 2003

1. Federation of Great Britain

13. Norway, Finland, Sweden and island of Zealand (Denmark).
[/I]

might want to note that sweeden is linked to denmark with a tunnel, and in the past the sea has frozen over at times...think it still can, so a good chance of some parts of lower sweeden/norway could get hit

also i doubt the few people left in britian would become a republi..i doubt there would be any form of govermemnt at all...more likly military zones with civilians inside, backed by the royal navay and army that managed to evacuate or was overseas at the time (so it would still come under the uk)

In both Canada and Australia, countries will strong links to the UK and hosting fairly large refugee populations, many of these people were reluctantly accepting that they would never return home, that the motherland was a lost cause. Many took on Australian and Canadian citizenship and integrated with their hosts.

Some what ironically was the state of the former United Kingdom, which was actually improving, the resettlement areas set up American led NATO forces before the Europe outbreak had manage to establish contact with eachother and form a loose federation of communities that swere dotted around England, Scotland and Wales. My early 2006, the Federation of Great Britain was proclaimed in St Andrews, Scotland, which included St Andews, the most affluent of the resettled areas, as well as the Isle of Wight, Dover, Folkstone, Portsmouth, Fort William and Angelsey. Smaller villages near these towns were later cleared of bodies and wreckage and also resettled, and rudimentary phone lines and power lines were set up or reconnected, allowing communication between the citizens of the British Federation of some 30,000 estimated people. The Federation was run by a joint civilian and military council upon its proclamation, with plans for elections in 2008.

Moscow.

first theres no reason why british refuges would take on citenzenship in canada or austrailia (especially australia, as they wouldnt remove the restrictions on immigration for anything)....its mor likly theyd retain british citezenship but probaly get dual status in commmonwealth countries

second....theres no reason for a federation as ai pointed out in the map...people would still recognize it all under uk domain (especially as its backed by nato forces and americans, who would see no reason to aid a federation out of the blue, and i could guess that the royal anvy and army wouldnt support it either)