Comprehensive List of CSA Potential Allies?

I'm curious to know if anyone can tell me which nation-states the CSA tried to partner with aside from Britain and France. Don't limit it to European influences; I'm looking for an absolutely comprehensive list. Thanks!

I know, I'm just wondering which nations they SOUGHT favor from, even if the idea just cropped up in their heads and nothing came of it :)

Brazil is the most obvious ally in terms of similarity of government and economic interest, France and Britain would also make good puppet masters.

What about Mexico? I hear and read so much about how on the one hand they romanticized Mexico and on the other hand they would just as soon spit on it as trade with it.

What about Mexico? I hear and read so much about how on the one hand they romanticized Mexico and on the other hand they would just as soon spit on it as trade with it.

Forget that idea , Mexico banned slavery decades before the ACW and the South was the strongest supporter of the US intervening in Latin America before the war including the Mexican/American war and filibustering. Even Jeff Davis wasn't stupid enough to think he could get Mexican support. Also what could Mexico possibly do to help the CSA even if it wanted to?

Canada would likely ally with the CSA, seeing as it was in the interests of the British Empire to keep America weak and contained as much as possible.

Canada would likely ally with the CSA, seeing as it was in the interests of the British Empire to keep America weak and contained as much as possible.

Unlikely as that is just begging for war with the US the second GB is busy in some big war in Europe or some other place.

Wolfpaw

Banned
They could possibly get Belgium to go along, but otherwise it'll mostly just be really uncomfortable support from France and the UK.

Brazil is the obvious choice, and Richmond will probably have good relations with a French-backed regime in Mexico, but that will evaporate the moment that the bayonets propping it up are removed.

The CSA which IOTL revered William Walker as a heroic martyr and had a long history of of filibustering will leave it without friends in Central America, and the CSA has absolutely no pull in Asia, unlike the United States.

They may try to establish good relations with the slaveholders in Cuba and agitate for Cuban independence, which will piss off Madrid to no end.

No one. They piss off everyone in their immediate area by trying to throw their weight around the Carribbean and Latin America.
The European powers will realise they made a horrible mistake once it becomes apparant that the CSA is stuck with way of life that should have died out 100 years earlier, serious infighting between the states, a backwards agricultural economy and a useless federal government. France and Britain, if they offered any support to the CSA during the Civil War, will begin furiously backpeddling to get on good terms with the Union again.

So the only real "allies" that the CSA could hope for would be in the British, the French, the Brazilians, and a France-backed Mexico? I'm not doubting anyone, just seeking clarification. I heard somewhere that the Prussians had a fleeting interest in terms of observation. Forget Asia completely, that's understandable.

Wolfpaw

Banned
So the only real "allies" that the CSA could hope for would be in the British, the French, the Brazilians, and a France-backed Mexico? I'm not doubting anyone, just seeking clarification.
That's the most they can hope for, though I could see Leopold of Belgium jumping on since he would probably want to get Confederate "professionals" to help him out in the Congo.
I heard somewhere that the Prussians had a fleeting interest in terms of observation.
Whatever interest Prussia had in the CSA (however fleeting) is going to be trumped by the preponderance of Germans and pro-German sentiment in the USA, especially when one considers how glaringly Anglophilic the Confederacy was. That being said, I could see the Confederacy eagerly aping Prussian militarism.

The confederate relations with mexico relies entirely on what they do after the civil war is over, if they favor southern expansionists and try to annex Rio-Grande's valuable cotton fields (I say try because they would fail, the confederate military will just be too weak to fight a war of expansion and deal with the native Mexican hostility towards them) their relations would be permanantly poisoned and likely destroy their relations with the French given how the Union likely wont have the strength to stop them from installing Maximilian as their puppet. On the other hand they could also have a friend with France and Maximilian who would be willing to buy from them.

I dont believe relations would be good with Britain though, they would probably look down on the confederates for their use of slavery and since they had other sources for their cotton they probably wouldnt really involve themselves in America. If the British are idiots and dont begin trading with Egypt for Cotton instead of the USA due to the lead up to the war they could e blackmailed into an alliance that way.

The real opportunity for an ally in my opinion was Germany, they had few qualms with the morality of their friends because of Bismark inventing the concept of realpolitik and lacked a major supplier of cotton. If the North German Federation allied themselves to the CS then things could blossom into a steady alliance with the CSA supplying much of the German cotton.

NothingNow

Banned
They may try to establish good relations with the slaveholders in Cuba and agitate for Cuban independence, which will piss off Madrid to no end.

Yeah, and it'd be hilarious to see what happens when say, Carlos Manuel de Céspedes finally decides to begin the revolution, and promptly emancipates his slaves, as happened IOTL.

I predict one massive clusterfuck, comprised of numerous smaller clusterfucks caused by no less than five major factions competing for control of the Island or attempting to put out the brush fire before it starts a major war.

Seriously, between the Union, CSA, Anti-Slavery rebels, Spain, and the Pro-Slavery rebels, with the Royal Navy, Mexican Empire, and France maybe getting involved, it's a recipe for backstabbing and double-dealing that makes a game of diplomacy look simple.

Brazil is the most obvious ally in terms of similarity of government and economic interest, France and Britain would also make good puppet masters.

Brazil had an emperor who was not very friendly to slavery but was quite friendly to the US, as far as I understand.

The confederate relations with mexico relies entirely on what they do after the civil war is over, if they favor southern expansionists and try to annex Rio-Grande's valuable cotton fields (I say try because they would fail, the confederate military will just be too weak to fight a war of expansion and deal with the native Mexican hostility towards them) their relations would be permanantly poisoned and likely destroy their relations with the French given how the Union likely wont have the strength to stop them from installing Maximilian as their puppet. On the other hand they could also have a friend with France and Maximilian who would be willing to buy from them.

I dont believe relations would be good with Britain though, they would probably look down on the confederates for their use of slavery and since they had other sources for their cotton they probably wouldnt really involve themselves in America. If the British are idiots and dont begin trading with Egypt for Cotton instead of the USA due to the lead up to the war they could e blackmailed into an alliance that way.

The real opportunity for an ally in my opinion was Germany, they had few qualms with the morality of their friends because of Bismark inventing the concept of realpolitik and lacked a major supplier of cotton. If the North German Federation allied themselves to the CS then things could blossom into a steady alliance with the CSA supplying much of the German cotton.

Not likely, most German-Americans were pro-Union even in the South because of slavery. I have little doubt that the same would be true in the German nation states such as Prussia as well. Allying with the CSA would be unpopular and would anger a richer and more powerful USA.

Depending on how the war ends.

Britain
France
Maxamillian Mexico
Canada (depending on how CS-British relations look)
Brazil

That's pretty much all the friends they'll have on both sides of the pond.

Wolfpaw

Banned
Yeah, and it'd be hilarious to see what happens when say, Carlos Manuel de Céspedes finally decides to begin the revolution, and promptly emancipates his slaves, as happened IOTL.

I predict one massive clusterfuck, comprised of numerous smaller clusterfucks caused by no less than five major factions competing for control of the Island or attempting to put out the brush fire before it starts a major war.

Seriously, between the Union, CSA, Anti-Slavery rebels, Spain, and the Pro-Slavery rebels, with the Royal Navy, Mexican Empire, and France maybe getting involved, it's a recipe for backstabbing and double-dealing that makes a game of diplomacy look simple.
emot-swoon.gif

Wolfpaw

Banned
Not likely, most German-Americans were pro-Union even in the South because of slavery. I have little doubt that the same would be true in the German nation states such as Prussia as well. Allying with the CSA would be unpopular and would anger a richer and more powerful USA.
Nor are Germans going to be particularly happy about the massacre of German Unionists carried out by CS forces in Texas, which you can bet Germans in the USA are going to talk about.

Nor are Germans going to be particularly happy about the massacre of German Unionists carried out by CS forces in Texas, which you can bet Germans in the USA are going to talk about.

True enough and I forgot about that. A Prussian-CSA alliance is very unlikely. If the CSA won independence with British or French help a Prussian-US alliance is very likely.