Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

The first American woman to graduate medical school was a scion of that famous New Jersey family, the Kays. Doris Kays was the grandaughter of Revolutionary War veteran John Kays and the little sister of future President Benjamin Kays. She was among the first women to graduate from college, and the only one of her year to eventually go on to gain a degree in medicine, graduating by 1848. Her example was one of the shining lights in the Womens' movement as it entered high gear in the 1840s.

elizabeth-blackwell.jpg

Glen

The first American woman to graduate medical school was a scion of that famous New Jersey family, the Kays. Doris Kays was the grandaughter of Revolutionary War veteran John Kays and the little sister of future President Benjamin Kays. She was among the first women to graduate from college, and the only one of her year to eventually go on to gain a degree in medicine, graduating by 1848. Her example was one of the shining lights in the Womens' movement as it entered high gear in the 1840s.

elizabeth-blackwell.jpg

While I do intend to fill in things in the past from time to time (and have), some of you may be wondering why I chose to do so now in the throws of the Global War. The answer is simply this - it is an homage.

Last night my much beloved grandmother died peacefully in her sleep in her late 90s. She was a strong, intelligent, delightful woman who had won a scholarship to college, but was never able to go. It was something she told me on several occasions. She is a direct descendant of the Kays, and I have given this ATL 'relative' of hers her name and an educational achievement that I think my grandmother would have liked.

While I do intend to fill in things in the past from time to time (and have), some of you may be wondering why I chose to do so now in the throws of the Global War. The answer is simply this - it is an homage.

Last night my much beloved grandmother died peacefully in her sleep in her late 90s. She was a strong, intelligent, delightful woman who had won a scholarship to college, but was never able to go. It was something she told me on several occasions. She is a direct descendant of the Kays, and I have given this ATL 'relative' of hers her name and an educational achievement that I think my grandmother would have liked.

I'm very sorry to hear that Glen. I give you my best wishes in what is certainly a very tough time for you. Your grandmother sounded like a wonderful woman, may she rest in peace.

A fitting AH.com memorial for your grandmother. :)

Incidently, one of my great grandmothers became one of the early women to earn a medical degree. She was a professional midwife who got the degree when her profession lost its respect to the more "scientific" doctors (who had far higher childbirth fatality rates :rolleyes:). But that was at the turn of the century. I love how you've made the USA more progressive TTL without truly wanking it in cliche militaristic ways. Kinda the opposite, really, which provides good balance. Your USA reminds me of a better-written version of the CNA from For Want of a Nail.

Glen

Sorry for your loss. God bless.

I'm very sorry to hear that Glen. I give you my best wishes in what is certainly a very tough time for you. Your grandmother sounded like a wonderful woman, may she rest in peace.

Sorry for your loss, Glen. Keep up the good work. She would be proud.

Benjamin

Thank you oe and all. She was pretty cool! It' not too tough for me,ut for my dad -he is missing her terribly.

Glen

A fitting AH.com memorial for your grandmother. :)

Thnaks for that.

Incidently, one of my great grandmothers became one of the early women to earn a medical degree. She was a professional midwife who got the degree when her profession lost its respect to the more "scientific" doctors (who had far higher childbirth fatality rates :rolleyes:). But that was at the turn of the century.

Sounds pretty cool, too!

I love how you've made the USA more progressive TTL without truly wanking it in cliche militaristic ways. Kinda the opposite, really, which provides good balance. Your USA reminds me of a better-written version of the CNA from For Want of a Nail.

Thank you too fr your thoughtful compliments!

Yes! The Miskito rise again to (hopefully!) realise their destiny to be among the most enthusiastic members of the British Empire! Here's to the only native group (that I'm aware of!) who rebelled en masse when they were forced to give up their status as British subjects! And here's to hoping that they rejoin the Empire in the peace deal and the Miskito Protectorate is reestablished under Chief Robert Henry Clarence! Fly the flag with pride!

ni-mo183.gif

RIP to your Gran, Glen. She sounds like she was a great woman. Sorry for your loss.

Glen

Yes! The Miskito rise again to (hopefully!) realise their destiny to be among the most enthusiastic members of the British Empire! Here's to the only native group (that I'm aware of!) who rebelled en masse when they were forced to give up their status as British subjects! And here's to hoping that they rejoin the Empire in the peace deal and the Miskito Protectorate is reestablished under Chief Robert Henry Clarence! Fly the flag with pride!

ni-mo183.gif

How fun!

RIP to your Gran, Glen. She sounds like she was a great woman. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks she was pretty great as was hermother who I was also close to (my first daughter was named for her).

Glen

Sorry for the long delay, but between the funeral, my kindle going a bit balmy, and my other responsibilities, I haven't really been able to update my own timelines, just read a bit. I will try to get some updates to you all, if not tonight, then by tomorrow for sure.

Sorry for the long delay, but between the funeral, my kindle going a bit balmy, and my other responsibilities, I haven't really been able to update my own timelines, just read a bit. I will try to get some updates to you all, if not tonight, then by tomorrow for sure.

take your time I'm sure we all just want you to grieve and be on the healing process. if you want to work on it because it helps you feel better go ahead but it it doesn't we can all wait for you to feel better how ever long it takes. also know that you and your family are in many peoples prays to the many faces of god.

Glen

take your time I'm sure we all just want you to grieve and be on the healing process. if you want to work on it because it helps you feel better go ahead but it it doesn't we can all wait for you to feel better how ever long it takes. also know that you and your family are in many peoples prays to the many faces of god.

Nicely said, thank you. I have to say, I am feeling a bit sadder than I expected to, but even so, I'm pretty functional, so don't worry folks, the Dominion Will Rise Again!:cool:

Glen

During the Mexican occupation of New Mexico, a dogged resistance made the lives of the Army of the Rio Grande miserable. The resistance, made up of doughy Southerners and allied wild tribes was led by a man known to the Mexicans as Lobo, or Wolf as the Southrons would say. In reality, a young physician from Santa Fe by the name of Wolfgang Scott (though some claimed his original surname was Cohen), Wolf was the storied gentleman partisan who played havoc with the supply lines of the Mexicans while providing aid to those remaining New Mexicans suffering under the occupation. It is rumored that he personally led the Jackson Brigade through the last part of their trek to oust the Mexican army. He would become prominant in Dominion politics during the turn of the century.

Wolfgang Scott in a rare picture from his youth
Leader of the Resistance in the Province of New Mexico

Wolf Black White.png

I know you meant to type "doughty," but the image that popped into my head when I read this

The resistance, made up of doughy Southerners and allied wild tribes...

cracked me up. EDIT: And now I've read why you made the post. I'm sorry. This was a good tribute.

Last edited:

Glen

I know you meant to type "doughty," but the image that popped into my head when I read this

cracked me up. EDIT: And now I've read why you made the post. I'm sorry. This was a good tribute.

It is okay to laugh and to cry. Don't worry, folks, the DSA will rise again, probably get into some good updates this weekend. Just been a bit innundated with r/l.

Glen

The Game of Asia refers to the period roughly stretching between the Napoleonic Wars and the Global War. The Game of Asia references the great diplomatic struggle between Russia and Britain for influence in Asia. The extent of the area and events encompassed by the Game of Asia is ill defined and varies depending on the historian referenced. For example, some authors will include the Pacific region in their definitions, such as the wrangling over the Hawaiian Islands by Russia and Britain. Most authors do not go so far, however, and see the easternmost extent of the Game of Asia as the Japanese Islands. The westernmost extent was fairly easily defined by the border of the Ottoman Empire on the Asian continent. The histories of the Japanese Islands, the Chinas, and the Indian Subcontinent are often described in detail, but those of Central Asia are equally worthy of comment, even if less known.

Man_from_Khiva%2C_Emir_of_Bukhara%2C_Teke_Turkmen%2C_Girl_from_Samarkand%2C_Police_Soldier_from_Bukhara.JPG

In the first phase of the Game of Asia, the Russians had small but steady encroachments upon Persia, with Britain acting as a mediating influence and supporter of Persian autonomy for the most part. However, British support for Persia's other feared neighbor, the Ottomans, and then the growing British support for the Durrani Empire. Things changed in the second phase of the Game of Asia after the Russian reversals in Europe during the Liberal War and later the chaos of the Russian succession. Russia advanced more openly and agressively in Central Asia, adding such protectorates as Samarkand, Bukhara, Kokand, and Khiva to the Russian Empire. At the same time Persia negotiated with Russia for a stable border, hoping instead to point the Russian bear towards the Durrani Empire, and of course, the Ottoman Empire. Relations with Britain cooled in the meantime.

Great_Game_cartoon_from_1878.jpg

When the Global War broke out, the Persians joined the Russians in attacking the borders of the Ottoman Empire, both with their own army equipped and 'advised' by Russians. At the same time the Russians sent troops into the Durrani Empire in an attempt to close on British India. The Durrani Graveyard would be referred to in Russian song for decades to come. While many Russians lost their lives in the Global War, they rarely did with so little to show for it as in the Durrani Empire.