The Power and the Glitter!

As I just posted my Star Trek update and Brainbin is also up with an appendix, I figured this is a good time to ask: what's going on with Star Trek in your universe?

DS9 started in 1993 so there are some potential butterflies there I imagine :).

Last edited:
As I just posted my Star Trek update and Brainbin is also up with an appendix, I figured this is a good time to ask: what's going on with Star Trek in your universe?
I second the question, if only because, once you answer it, all four of the "major" pop culture timelines will have addressed the fate of Star Trek, which will make it the one and only franchise to bear that distinction - fittingly, I think.

As I mentioned before, DS9 could be even darker than OTL, especially given the racial tensions (even if they don't go with Brooks, it'll almost certainly be a black actor) and the terrorism angle (assuming that Michelle Forbes isn't cast - and maybe even if she is).

Ah, Star Trek. Always on the cutting edge of the social zeitgeist.

Ok, I promise after I finish up with Watchmen, I'll go back and address some other stuff.

EDIT: and technically speaking, I did address some minor changes with TNG a little while back in relation with Brent Spiner's casting in Watchmen, mainly Edward Norton joining the cast in the last season.

EDIT: and technically speaking, I did address some minor changes with TNG a little while back in relation with Brent Spiner's casting in Watchmen, mainly Edward Norton joining the cast in the last season.

You are technically correct — the best kind of correct.

It was staff writer Brannon Braga who came up the winning idea.

Hahahaha. Words that have never been spoken IOTL outside the writer's room. You also confirmed both DS9 and Voyager, please butterfly Voyager into, let's say, a Captain Sulu Excelsior show :).

You also confirmed both DS9 and Voyager, please butterfly Voyager into, let's say, a Captain Sulu Excelsior show :).
Seconded. Again. That's the best possible time for one, with Takei being "only" 58 when filming on the pilot would commence.

Well then, there you have it - we've got the grand slam.

Last edited:

The Sandman

Banned
One crazy idea for a project: import Legend of Galactic Heroes and do a live-action version for American TV.

Or failing that, just import the original and have somebody do a competent dubbing job, but it would probably have a harder time that way.

Watchmen Final Budget Projections

Initially, Watchmen was greenlit with a budget of $100 million. However, certain factors caused the budget to inflate substantially. Cameron’s decision to replace some of the location shooting with more complicated sets may have made filming easier and faster, but it certainly didn’t make it cheaper. In fact, as aforementioned, it raised the cost of the production by $15 million. Unexpected problems in the rendering of Doctor Manhattan would also increase the CGI budget by nearly $7 million. All in all, unforeseen ancillary expenses in addition to all of this would bring the budget of Watchmen closer to $130 million than $100 million, making it, unadjusted for inflation, the most expensive film ever put produced up to that point.

Music and Marketing for Watchmen

Originally, James Cameron had intended on working with prolific movie composer Brad Fiedel, who had previously worked with on the Terminator series, to create the score for Watchmen. However, Fiedel surprisingly refused, suggesting Philip Glass as a better fit for the material. His contention was that the heavily minimalist influences in Glass’ work were a better fit for the chronic tone of much of the film, especially with regards to Doctor Manhattan and his relation to time and fate [1]. Cameron was initially taken aback by such a move on Fiedel’s part, and skeptical from what he knew about Glass that the composer would sign on. “’I can't shake the idea that no matter how good the script is, no matter how good the production values are, no matter how timely the message and complicated the moral dilemma... I can't shake the idea that Glass would score for what's, at its most basic level, an action movie based on a comic book. He seems too highbrow’”, Cameron said when relating then the story later. “Then Brad smiled and said “Hey man, the guy scored fucking Candyman. You can get him”. Glass would indeed sign on.

However, it was estimated by producer Joel Silver that maybe a little less than half of all the music onscreen would be credited to whoever the film’s composer would be. The idea was, to help make the film relatable as a cultural touchstone and a dark parody of the 20th century, lots of popular music would be used. Many songs from the past several decades would be used in the soundtrack, with the “ending point” being the 1980’s. In the end, the rights were bought to fourteen different songs, though only twelve of them would make it to the screen (the unused tracks, “Don’t Dream It’s Over” by Crowded House and “Sugar, Sugar” [1] by the Archies, would be included on the Music of Watchmen CD). Some critics would actually complain about the overuse of the popular songs in the soundtrack, saying they were distracting in some parts. Roger Ebert would opine in an otherwise positive review that he found the score by Glass more interesting anyway. However, the placing of “Where Is My Mind?” by The Pixies over the ending with Seymour at The New Frontiersman possibly deciding the fate of the world, leading into the credits, was regarded as a strong decision, creating one of the most iconic single movie scenes of the 1990’s.

In fact, another song was essentially created for Watchmen. The Smashing Pumpkins, an indie band, were asked to make a song to play over Rorschach’s opening monologue and the opening credits. The product, “End of the Beginning” [3], was a weird combination of metal and electronica influences, which was unusual among the band’s discography at the time. When released as a single in March of 1994, it did surprisingly well, reaching a peak position of #11 on the Billboard Hot 100. A music video was released the next month, directed by fledgling Mexican director Guillermo del Toro, portrayed a fed-up urban, blue collar worker (Ron Perlman), fed up with the violence and degradation on the news, donning his own custom leather mask and engaging in acts of vigilantism, interspersed with clips of the Smashing Pumpkins playing at a seedy, smoke-filled club. The video ended with Perlman’s character being shot from behind, then falling down slowly… revealing his killer as The Comedian from Watchmen, as portrayed by Bruce Campbell. An advertisement for Watchmen followed its initial broadcast. The video became controversial, as the much-watched MTV premiere of “End of the Beginning” was criticized by moral guardians as extremely violent, and many liberal activists claimed the video endorsed vigilantism. However, the debate created much buzz for Watchmen, slated to come out on July 1st, 1994.

The music video and early release of the single, of course, were just one part of the marketing campaign for the film. The first teaser actually appeared at the premiere of Steven Spielberg’s Jurassic Park one June 11, 1993. However, as filming had not yet completed, it was a very simple trailer- some narration from Rorschach on a black screen, interspersed with very short, almost subliminal clips from the film, with Philip Glass’ “Prophecies" playing in the background.. Also thrown into the mix was, in bolded white letters, the text “From Director James Cameron- Based on the Graphic Novel by Alan Moore and David Gibbons- Arnold Schwarzenegger- Kurt Russell- Sharon Stone- WATCHMEN- Summer 1994”. A more complete trailer was ready by the winter of 1993, but for what it was, the original teaser was very effective. It was so confusing, it got people asking questions- leading them to the comic for answers [4]. DC would note that sales of the graphic novel spiked throughout 1993 and 1994.

Which led to the question of secrecy on the project. Studio executives wanted everything to be previewed for the trailers to be released in early 1994. This included the actor playing Rorschach, Mark Hamill, and the appearance of the Squid. While Cameron allowed Mark Hamill’s identity to be known prior to Watchmen’s release, he was adamant that the Squid not appear. He knew that the comic was becoming more popular, so more people would be aware of the nature of the climax, but he wanted the revamped design of the giant monster to be a surprise, along with its rampage in New York. Cameron eventually won out on this matter.

As the film was geared for a mature audience, no toys would be produced in the wake of its original release. However, Capcom did develop a beat ‘em up game based on Watchmen for the Sega Genesis video game console, which was released in July of 1994 to a mixed reaction. Marketing was accomplished in other, more unique ways. Posters were made for each of the main characters, with the Rorschach poster in particular, featuring the masked vigilante walking out of the shadows with a huge smear of blood across his chest, with the words "This city fears me. I have seen it's true face, becoming very popular on it's own in the mid-1990's, especially on college campuses. Blood-stained smiley pins became ubiquitous in comic shops. In many theaters, the poster for the film was simply a paper replica of the Doomsday Clock from the graphic novel behind glass. Each day closer to Watchmen's premiere, it was moved just a smidge closer to midnight. However, the biggest tie-in ploy was DC reaching out to Moore and Gibbons to write more comics set in the Watchmen universe, which led to a surprising eventual outcome.

All of the signs going into July 1st were good, and the studio was optimistic about Watchmen’s prospects…

[1] Glass is a very interesting and prolific composer. One of his compositions was in fact used for the historical Watchmen adaptation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsOPR9659Ww

[2] The in-universe reason it wasn’t used in the final film is that test audiences reacted in horror to the context. It was supposed to play over the Vietnam battle sequence, a particularly violent scene, which ended with The Comedian killing an injured Vietcong with his flame thrower whilst laughing. The song was changed to “We Gotta Get Out of this Place”, by the Animals.

[3] Essentially an earlier version of “The End Is the Beginning Is the End”, created for Batman Forever. The song was used, though, in some spots for historical Watchmen. I can see why- it’s very effective. But again, it’s not exactly the same song.

[4] Similar to the original Inception teaser, which was notoriously confusing as all hell, but without any comic for people to fall back on for initial answers.

---

Thoughts? Comments? Critiques?

Last edited:

The Sandman

Banned
So any chance of the Sandman movie being made ITTL, preferably with a minimum of exec-related butchery? Or a Transmetropolitan movie (bonus points if they could somehow get Hunter S. Thompson to collaborate with Warren Ellis on the script)?

I could also see a merchandising campaign directed towards the expected older audience, selling somewhat higher-grade goods than usual. And the blood-spattered smiley-face would be ubiquitous, I think.

Marketing, you say? Maybe that guy from XTC should get his kid to write a theme song or something ;)

All in all, unforeseen ancillary expenses in addition to all of this would bring the budget of Watchmen closer to $130 million than $100 million would make it the most expensive film ever put produced up to that point.
And then there's Hollywood Accounting to... take into account. I hope nobody signed up for the net, because this movie could make $500 million and they'll never see a red cent! (Though it seems that everybody's signed up for lump sums anyway).

vultan said:
Many songs from the past several decades would be used in the soundtrack, with the “ending point” being the 1980’s. In the end, the rights were bought to fourteen different songs, though only twelve of them would make it to the screen (the unused tracks, “Don’t Dream It’s Over” by Crowded House and “Sugar, Sugar” [1] by the Archies, would be included on the Music of Watchmen CD).
The eclectic variety of the music will at least help Watchmen avoid the "Prince problem" that plagued the otherwise dark and wonderfully atmospheric Danny Elfman score to Batman, though I expect that the score probably will come to overshadow much of the soundtrack as time passes (as with another Elfman project, Spider-Man), excluding those songs that you explicitly mention.

vultan said:
A music video was released the next month, directed by fledgling Mexican director Guillermo del Toro, portrayed a fed-up urban, blue collar worker (Ron Perlman)
What an interesting pairing. However did you put the two of them together? :p

vultan said:
The video ended with Perlman’s character being shot from behind, then falling down slowly… revealing his killer as The Comedian from Watchmen, as portrayed by Bruce Campbell. An advertisement for Watchmen followed its initial broadcast.
Well done, it sounds like a typical example of Hollywood-MTV synergism. Campbell, I'm sure, will make the most of his brief cameo.

vultan said:
It was so confusing, it got people asking questions- leading them to the comic for answers [4]. DC would note that sales of the graphic novel spiked throughout 1993 and 1994.
I like the buzz you're creating here. It really does feel like TTL 1994 is going to be "the summer of Watchmen". It helps that, in this era, movies still had "legs", so if it's any good (and from the hints you've dropped, it'll at least be good enough), it's going to have a long run.

vultan said:
However, Capcom did develop a beat ‘em up game based on Watchmen for the Super NES, which was released in July of 1994 to a mixed reaction.
A beat-em-up based on a dark and mature graphic novel, to be adapted into a R-rated movie, definitely strikes me more as Genesis material. Maybe, maybe, it might be cross-platform, assuming that the Mortal Kombat fiasco goes down more-or-less the same way ITTL, and Nintendo wants to prove that they've "learned" from the experience. But an SNES exclusive? I don't think so.

vultan said:
However, the biggest tie-in ploy was DC reaching out to Moore and Gibbons to write more comics set in the Watchmen universe, which led to a surprising eventual outcome.
How tantalizing! Looking forward to the release date! :D

So any chance of the Sandman movie being made ITTL, preferably with a minimum of exec-related butchery? Or a Transmetropolitan movie (bonus points if they could somehow get Hunter S. Thompson to collaborate with Warren Ellis on the script)?

You mean a renaissance of non-superhero comics making it to the screen? It's certainly a possibility...

Re Brainbin and Sandman: I will actually incorporate some of your ideas a little into that last update a little later on, when I'm less tired.:p

Looking forward to the big debut, keep up the great work!

One question: The Crow came out sround the same time in 1994. Would the release of Watchmen effect it's performance at all, for better or worse?

Looking forward to the big debut, keep up the great work!

One question: The Crow came out sround the same time in 1994. Would the release of Watchmen effect it's performance at all, for better or worse?

Minus the buzz that surrounded it created by Brandon Lee's death (which didn't happen in this timeline), but with a possible greater interest in non-mainstream comics in general created created by the buzz for Watchmen (even though it came out slightly earlier), probably evens out to a box office about the same as in our timeline.

All in all, unforeseen ancillary expenses in addition to all of this would bring the budget of Watchmen closer to $130 million than $100 million would make it the most expensive film ever put produced up to that point.

Inflation adjusted it's actually the third most expensive film ever made, trailing both Superman and Cleopatra and it probably drops 1-2 more slots if we adjust for ticket prices outpacing inflation. It'll also be pushed to fourth the moment Waterworld is released (if that gets made, ITTL). As always Hollywood accounting is a lovely world of make believe fairies :).

And then there's Hollywood Accounting to... take into account. I hope nobody signed up for the net, because this movie could make $500 million and they'll never see a red cent! (Though it seems that everybody's signed up for lump sums anyway).

James Cameron probably got gross points, I doubt anyone else would have.

I wish there was like a tour through Hollywood accounting. "On this movie we shoved 5 million dollars of the profit onto the dog actor who happened to be owned by the studio president so as to avoid paying the cast any points."

I can't shake the idea that Glass would score for what's, at its most basic level, an action movie based on a comic book. He seems too highbrow’”, Cameron said when relating then the story later. “Then Brad smiled and said “Hey man, the guy scored fucking Candyman. You can get him”. Glass would indeed sign on.

“Where Is My Mind?” by The Pixies over the ending

I chuckled out loud, I didn't know Glass did Candyman either. That's a lovely idea there. Also some great song choices, particularly the choice for lead into the credits. Really nice.

A music video was released the next month, directed by fledgling Mexican director Guillermo del Toro, portrayed a fed-up urban, blue collar worker (Ron Perlman), fed up with the violence and degradation on the news, donning his own custom leather mask and engaging in acts of vigilantism, interspersed with clips of the Smashing Pumpkins playing at a seedy, smoke-filled club. The video ended with Perlman’s character being shot from behind, then falling down slowly… revealing his killer as The Comedian from Watchmen, as portrayed by Bruce Campbell.

Fan-fucking-tastic. Multiple level/market synergy on different platforms, and nice job working both del Toro and Ron Perlman into it. I take it you like Hellboy.

However, the biggest tie-in ploy was DC reaching out to Moore and Gibbons to write more comics set in the Watchmen universe, which led to a surprising eventual outcome.

Whoa. Did not see that coming. I guess it's early enough that Moore doesn't hate all move adaptions, but still very intriguing. WATCHMAN II ahoy.

Bruce Campbell as The Comedian. Talk about a different career path...

I know, we're missing out on the classic The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr..

Maybe, maybe, it might be cross-platform, assuming that the Mortal Kombat fiasco goes down more-or-less the same way ITTL, and Nintendo wants to prove that they've "learned" from the experience. But an SNES exclusive? I don't think so.

The moment Nintendo got burned on sales by Mortal Kombat they completely and utterly allowed anything Sega would have allowed. However they wouldn't have had an exclusive. IIRC there were no exclusive major movie games in that era. EDIT: Nevermind, there were some including The Terminator for instance. So it's possible, but I'd still wager on multi-platform.

It's too bad it's just a beat-em-up. I think an adventure RPG or something like that would be really cool.

Last edited:
Minus the buzz that surrounded it created by Brandon Lee's death (which didn't happen in this timeline), but with a possible greater interest in non-mainstream comics in general created created by the buzz for Watchmen (even though it came out slightly earlier), probably evens out to a box office about the same as in our timeline.

What will the long term legacy of The Crow be?

Brainbin said:
What an interesting pairing. However did you put the two of them together? :p

Originally I was going to put Mickey Rourke in the role, but decided against it. Why not have some fun?:D

A beat-em-up based on a dark and mature graphic novel, to be adapted into a R-rated movie, definitely strikes me more as Genesis material. Maybe, maybe, it might be cross-platform, assuming that the Mortal Kombat fiasco goes down more-or-less the same way ITTL, and Nintendo wants to prove that they've "learned" from the experience. But an SNES exclusive? I don't think so.

I'll concede to the expert here. It's for the Genesis only.

Inflation adjusted it's actually the third most expensive film ever made, trailing both Superman and Cleopatra and it probably drops 1-2 more slots if we adjust for ticket prices outpacing inflation. It'll also be pushed to fourth the moment Waterworld is released (if that gets made, ITTL). As always Hollywood accounting is a lovely world of make believe fairies :).

I specified that in the post now.

I chuckled out loud, I didn't know Glass did Candyman either. That's a lovely idea there. Also some great song choices, particularly the choice for lead into the credits. Really nice.

Neither did I, until I ran it by Brainbin. The conversation between Cameron and Fiedel was an almost word-by-word reconstruction of the discussion he and I had over PM, in which I asked him about the plausibility.

Whoa. Did not see that coming. I guess it's early enough that Moore doesn't hate all move adaptions, but still very intriguing. WATCHMAN II ahoy.

We'll see what happens. It could just be a marketing ploy- that is, reaching out to Moore, even though he probably won't accept, just to build buzz.