28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

Awesome TL!! Realistic and chilling to the core. ;)

Without giving too much away, can you tell us how far away are from Fortress North America? :p

Marc A

P.S. BTW, reading this TL with this on is... fitting to the mood. :(

JSmith

Banned
I didnt include international forces arriving to back up the UK in the original 28 days in order to keep with the movie canon :)
I think that its perfectly resonable that the United States and other members of NATO wouldn't send their troops into what was bascially a meat grinder. Helping the British government by helping get non-infected survivors out of Britain and enforcing a quarantine of the island to prevent infected from getting out and non-infected from getting in I think are prefectly resonable actions for members of international community to take without exposing thousands of their troops to a deadly virus.

Ukraine falls
Ukraine was in a state of societal collapse by the middle of May. Kiev fell into chaos and civil unrest as electricity, water and gas supplies cut off. Cummunications soon went down between the major cities of the Ukraine as infection spread. Seeing that the situation was hopeless, the remnants of the armed forces fell back to the Crimea peninsula and formed a safe zone, with the capital being relocated to Sevastapol. The Russian government funelled thousands of weapons into Eastern Ukraine and Belarus in an effort to slow the spread of infection and buy time for Russia's defences to reach their full strength.

Several hundred Russian soldiers were permitted by the Ukrainian govenment to participate in the defence of the Crimea, owing to its large Russian population, as well as the base of the Russian Black Sea Fleet.

At 5:47 AM 26 May, Vladimir Putin was woken by one of his Security Advisors, who simply told him "Its reached Russia."

The troops policing the border with Ukraine had all been withdrawn days earlier to the main defensive lives further east, and in their place many thousands of landmines had been laid. They were not enough, and by the time military satellites saw border being breached, the infected had reached the small border town of Maximov. The town was overrun without a shot being fired, as no police were present, nor were there any soldiers.

Taganrog was the first large Russian town the infected would menace, a town that was hurriedly being evacuated, with the population being taken to refugee camps behind the Kvashnin Line, named after the Army chief of staff who devised it.

The line ran along the M4 road from Rostov on Don in the far south up to Voronezh, then up to Moscow and finally along to St Petersburg. It was hoped that by evacuating most of the population behind this line, the infection would die out in the border areas quickly. A mistake that the British government had made 1 year previous, that had allowed Glasgow to fall and subsequently Scotland. The threat of animals as carriers had not been heeded.

Four weeks after Ukraine fell and the infection had crossed into Russia, most of the infected were starving, and the plan seemed to be working miraculously. Some even dared to tempt fate and say the epidemic was over, with only a few thousand dead in Russia.

Last edited:
His colleague laughed at the disgust and surprise on his face. Then his laugh faded as the soldier contorted and spasmed. By the time the other soldier realised what was happening, he was too late to raise his rifle to open fire...

a small speck of birds blood wouldnt have flown and landed in someones mouth...that just borders on the impossiblty of random chance....also its never mentioned if the rage virus can pass beyond chimpanzees/humans, as weve seen tonnes of birds in th films and none seemed infected...and its unlikly any were carriers...
plus the other minstetrs and security wouldve mowed the two that got infected down fairly quickly, as a rage victim goes for one person a t a time unless in a group...so two people wouldve died but the rest ouldve survived easily enough...and id have imagined there wouldve being security measures taken inside important goverment buildins incase of a outbreak inside or out to stop it spreading....so i doubt it wouldve gotten past that one room

a small speck of birds blood wouldnt have flown and landed in someones mouth...that just borders on the impossiblty of random chance....also its never mentioned if the rage virus can pass beyond chimpanzees/humans, as weve seen tonnes of birds in th films and none seemed infected...and its unlikly any were carriers...
plus the other minstetrs and security wouldve mowed the two that got infected down fairly quickly, as a rage victim goes for one person a t a time unless in a group...so two people wouldve died but the rest ouldve survived easily enough...and id have imagined there wouldve being security measures taken inside important goverment buildins incase of a outbreak inside or out to stop it spreading....so i doubt it wouldve gotten past that one room

What he said. The same exact thing happening twice is a bit too much, IMHO.

Hate to be picky, but perhaps a retcon is in order?

Marc A

I too must agree, this is pretty implausable. How about a cat bringing home a dead bird that has consumed a Rage victim? When the owner picks up the bird they get infection through a cut in the skin.

hmm, looking back that does seem a bit too implausable. ill delete that last part and think of a more likely way for Russian forces to see a lot of action against the infected.

I think we'd also see families restraining their infected children and trying to hide them while moving them to 'safety' so accidentally spreading the infection.

Could even seen a bit of a gotterdammerung approach - If Germany knows its going down its going to make sure Russia goes down with it (KSK special forces infecting people in Russian safe zones ?).

That is possible, families trying up loved ones hoping that someone will find a cure. One of the alternate endings to the 28 days later DVD even had a storyboard alternate ending about such a thing when Frank gets infected, knocked out and tied up.

Would using biochem weapons to kill off infected lifeforms help?

Alternatively, tear gas or other such nonsense to obstruct their advance, if only temporarily. It might be less destructive than nukes.

Up until this point has anyone considered building an actual, physical wall to stop the infected? A 20-meter high wall manned 24/7 would do, I think.

Marc A

I think we'd also see families restraining their infected children and trying to hide them while moving them to 'safety' so accidentally spreading the infection.

I like this. In fact this happened in WORLD WAR Z where Chinese moved infected family members to "safety" thus spreading the disease.