Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Nooo! Another continent is being taken over by uptight psuedo-fascists who think everything the state does is awesome!!!

I really hope the West can turn this around because I would not want to live in a Koorsgardist victory scenario...:(

One might think....

They are being sent across, in order; the Panatal, the Gran Chaco, the driest and widest and totally uninhabited part of the Andes, and the driest desert outside of Antarctica. As an expeditionary force with their only supply being what they are carrying with them and what they might acquire from the Granadan navy at the far end.

Those men are dead.

They are being sent across, in order; the Panatal, the Gran Chaco, the driest and widest and totally uninhabited part of the Andes, and the driest desert outside of Antarctica. As an expeditionary force with their only supply being what they are carrying with them and what they might acquire from the Granadan navy at the far end.

Those men are dead.

Totally agree marching south through those deserts is completely impossible.

Glen

They are being sent across, in order; the Panatal,

The Panatel they had plenty of time to go through/around as this is within Brazil.

the Gran Chaco, the driest and widest and totally uninhabited part of the Andes, and the driest desert outside of Antarctica.

You mean Bolivia.

bolivia_veg_1971.jpg

bolivia%2Bpopulation%2Bdensity.jpg

Note that while there will definitely be some hard times and hardships, they are actually traversing open scrub woodland, not desert (yes, I know the official bounds of the Gran Chaco include this area, but there's desert, then there's desert). Also note that there are in fact populated areas they go through. They aren't going to the sea, they are going to the inland edge of the Atacama to secure that area.

As an expeditionary force with their only supply being what they are carrying with them and what they might acquire from the Granadan navy at the far end.

Those men are dead.

See above. They will also take from the native population - they will not be loved for this. Note too that they are not going all the way to the coast.

Glen

Glen

Interesting. The easterners haven't taken as much of Germany as I had feared. Still a lot but the main industrial areas should still be save.

Yep - most of their major gains were in the Balkans at the very beginning of the war. By the time they were trying to take those other fronts things were getting sticky for them.

No good asking for my vote. On a matter of principle I refuse to vote twice so I can't vote for you again.;)

Steve

Thanks!:D

The Panatel they had plenty of time to go through/around as this is within Brazil.

So? Its still one of the most terrible environments on earth for a large group of soldiers, and one very hard to send supply chains through. Going round north is a long way and pretty bare bones on the supplies and populations, going round south is the war zone.

You mean Bolivia.

http://images.nationmaster.com/images/motw/americas/bolivia_veg_1971.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__jk2XPMRI7I/TP752fNsctI/AAAAAAAAAfk/Hx2J-7L2VJg/s1600/bolivia%2Bpopulation%2Bdensity.jpg[IMG]
Note that while there will definitely be some hard times and hardships, they are actually traversing open scrub woodland, not desert (yes, I know the official bounds of the Gran Chaco include this area, but there's desert, then there's desert). Also note that there are in fact populated areas they go through. They aren't going to the sea, they are going to the inland edge of the Atacama to secure that area.
[/quote]

Don't use modern population maps for the 18th century - the Chaco was pretty much empty till the turn of the century. You are also incorrect on the conditions - the driest bits of the chaco are the ones they are going to have to go through. You also have a [I]rosy[/I] conception of what "Open Scrub Woodland" actually entails - its hard to move through whilst also being incredibly dry (especially during the dry season) and the in Chaco most water sources have problems with seasonality and salinity.

If you're saying they're occupying Bolivia you should have made that clear - though its a hell of an upwards slog. If this is a narrative ploy to make the Korsgaardists in Europe not collapse like the silly imperialists they are due to their inevitable supply problems I can think of better ways to go about it.

No one cares about securing the Atacama border with the mountains - there's a few via passes that ten men with explosives could shut down weeks before the arrival of an army, and in a united Spanish america timeline like this there's no point of even building the roads to Bolivia from the coast in the first place. The relevant connections for the Atacama are the naval one and the road south into Chile as the Peruvians found in the War of the Pacific

[quote]See above. They will also take from the native population - they will not be loved for this. Note too that they are not going all the way to the coast.[/QUOTE]

So? As soon as they depart potosi they are trying to keep an army together in several hundred kilometers of this: [img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/18/Tambo_Quemado.jpg/800px-Tambo_Quemado.jpg well before reach the true desert.

Glen

Nugax my friend, I tried to send a small force from Brazil into that theatre as a sign of support and to place some added pressure on the UPSA. I did my best to figure out what might be a viable direction that they would come through. If you or someone can suggest an alternate route based on 1890 conditions then I shall consider modifying it.

So? Its still one of the most terrible environments on earth for a large group of soldiers, and one very hard to send supply chains through. Going round north is a long way and pretty bare bones on the supplies and populations, going round south is the war zone.

Don't use modern population maps for the 18th century - the Chaco was pretty much empty till the turn of the century. You are also incorrect on the conditions - the driest bits of the chaco are the ones they are going to have to go through. You also have a rosy conception of what "Open Scrub Woodland" actually entails - its hard to move through whilst also being incredibly dry (especially during the dry season) and the in Chaco most water sources have problems with seasonality and salinity.

If you're saying they're occupying Bolivia you should have made that clear - though its a hell of an upwards slog. If this is a narrative ploy to make the Korsgaardists in Europe not collapse like the silly imperialists they are due to their inevitable supply problems I can think of better ways to go about it.

No one cares about securing the Atacama border with the mountains - there's a few via passes that ten men with explosives could shut down weeks before the arrival of an army, and in a united Spanish america timeline like this there's no point of even building the roads to Bolivia from the coast in the first place. The relevant connections for the Atacama are the naval one and the road south into Chile as the Peruvians found in the War of the Pacific

So? As soon as they depart potosi they are trying to keep an army together in several hundred kilometers of this:
800px-Tambo_Quemado.jpg
well before reach the true desert.

Glen

There is such a thing as going too far Glen.:mad: And I speak as someone who has voted for this timeline...

Sorry!:eek: I was simply inspired by the word-picture benjamin's comment painted and I had to realize it. I was swept away - I will try to curb my enthusiasm.

Glen

While the United States of China had eyed the Chuen Dynasty to the north with a wary eye since the Western brokered armistice, it was still taken by surprise at the swiftness and ferocity of the Chuen Offensive when it came. The Chuen had learned of speed and audacity from their Prussian advisors, and used it to good effect in the opening days of the Chinese campaign. While Chuen generals might have chosen to go a more circuitous route through the mountains and deserts to the west, it was decided to go the more direct route straight into some of the most populous states of the USC, Jiangsu, Anhui, and Henan. The strategic border city of Xuzhou was swiftly cut off from reinforcement by USC forces and made to capitulate. Almost the entirety of Henan was occupied with Anhui and Jiangsu being cut in half. The USC military was able to stablize the front just short of the Huai river, taking heed of British advisors to hold fast in the defense against the Prussian advised invaders. While this grated on USC officials to see so many of their people under Chuen occupation, still better than to lose Shanghai or even Nanjing! While a British-style defense was mounted in the east, several small bands of USC military under American advisors slipped through the Qin mountains on the western edge to use so-called 'Wild Indian' hit-and-run tactics against the logistic lines of the invading Chuen.

Global War Chinese Theatre.png

Glen

Unless something drastic happens in an hour and a half, it looks like the Dominion of Southern America has won it's long overdue Turtledove

Well, actually we won Best New 18th Century last year, so it's not actually overdue, but thank you for the support!

However, the amazing thing is, with the support of you, dear readers, we have upset the fabulous colosus that is Look to the West, to win this year in Continuing 18th Century - thank you one and all!!!

attachment.php

Last edited:
Well, actually we won Best New 18th Century last year, so it's not actually overdue, but thank you for the support!

However, the amazing thing is, with the support of you, dear readers, we have upset the fabulous colosus that is Look to the West, to win this year in Continuing 18th Century - thank you one and all!!!

attachment.php

Huzzah! Huzzah! For once my award picks are spot on :p Copngrats Glen, it is very well deserved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Glen, a well deserved award indeed.

Interesting times in China. Will the USC, assuming they win, absorb all of Chuen China in one bite or is that a bit too much for them? (My opinion is, that yes, it would be too much to absorb all of it, although the USC might solve this partially be reforming Mongolia, Xinjiang and Tibet as independent states). All of this of course depends on whether the USC can hold out against the Chuen and Russians. (Are there any Manchurians helping the Chuen BTW?)