28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

Awesome :) Love it! I keep repeating myself but Im just so happy that this scenarion is finally getting the full treatment it deserves. Thank You for this effort I really appreciate it.

thank you :) i have some more updates on the way hopefully over the coming days

Resettlement
Over the next few weeks, more survivors would be picked up by aircraft patrolling the UK, only a few hundred were picked up, most others who had survived the outbreak had died of other diseases that had prevailed with the huge numbers of decaying corpses nationwide, with cities that were unable to evacuate in time such as Birmingham and Glasgow impossible to enter without a respirator due to the smell.

Conditions in the refugee camps deteriorated due to severe overcrowding, and a major riot broke out in a large camp outside Cherbourg, France on 15 August, that led to the death of one policeman and four refugee's, with dozens more injured.

It was agreed that the situation was untennable, and that the refugees must be repatriated as soon as possible.

10 weeks after the outbreak, secure in the knowledge that the infected had all starved to death, several units of US Marines secured the towns of Dover and Folkstone on the south coast of England, Dover being a major port and Folkstone hosting the English side of the Channel Tunnel.

Over the next month, both towns were cleared of corpses, and all objects that showed signs of being contaminated with infected blood were incinerated. Engineer brigades soon arrived to restore electricty and running hot and cold water for both towns.

An American led NATO force entered London on week 11, searching for survivors and desposing of bodies. They designated the Isle of Dogs area to be the "Green Zone" for the city, that would be host the former capitals first human inhabitants in weeks.

By week 16, both Dover and Folkstone were declared fit for habitation, and repatriation was set to begin. Three days later, a lottery selected 10,000 refugees from all over Europe who would settle the towns and within a month, both towns had been resettled, under military guard by the US Army. Hot and cold running water, electricity, health care facilities and other ammenities were present also.

Within a month, small areas of Portsmouth had been resettled with 1,600 people, Southampton with 1,000, Blackpool with 2,800 and Anglesey in Wales with 2,000 Welsh refugees. St Andrews in Scotland had been cleared by Canadian forces and hosted 5,250 Scottish refugees. All these areas had basic ammenties that the first repatriation areas in Dover and Folkstone had recieved.

The main target for repatriation however, was London.

24 weeks after infection, reconstruction began on the Isle of Dogs, London and was designated District 1. Four weeks later the area was clear and power and water were running, as was a medical centre, supermarket, a pub and a church. Plans for schools to be reopened were postponed until children would begin arriving in large numbers in the coming weeks.

28 Weeks Later, the population of District 1 is around 15,000 civilians, with over 2,000 military and support personnel. The total number of repatriated civilians in other areas of Britain excluding London came to around 21,000.

The pressure on the camps was relieved slightly, but millions of refugees were still awaiting new districts being declared safe and opened to the public.

It was 4 December, 7 months later - 28 weeks. A survivor was found in her home on the outskirts of London, Alice Harris. She was infected, yet she didnt show any symptoms. She wasnt violent, she wasnt vomiting blood or foaming at the mouth. She was a carrier. The virus was in her blood, yet it didnt affect her. One passionate kiss with her husband who had visited her in the medical centre led to a chain reaction of events that would cause death and destruction on an unimaginable scale.

Next : Second Battle of London

Last edited:
Great update as usual but I've got a slight nitpick. IIRC, the family's name in 28 Weeks is Harris, not Robertson.

Yep, big moment. Although I still don't think Harris' master key should have been able to get him in the medical section...

Yep, big moment. Although I still don't think Harris' master key should have been able to get him in the medical section...

Yeah, I thought 28 Weeks Later was crap, so many plotholes.

And when there was an outbreak in the Docklands, why did they tell everyone to gather in the warehouse?

They should have told everyone to remain in their flats, and anyone seen outside would be shout, until the outbreak was contained.

28 Weeks Later is the like the sequels to the Matrix movies, a really crap follow-up to a brilliant movie.

I always wondered myself how he was able to get in there, and why he was allowed so much access to the whole district, when it should have fallen udner the responsibility of the military.

John Farson

Banned
Yeah, I thought 28 Weeks Later was crap, so many plotholes.

And when there was an outbreak in the Docklands, why did they tell everyone to gather in the warehouse?

They should have told everyone to remain in their flats, and anyone seen outside would be shout, until the outbreak was contained.

28 Weeks Later is the like the sequels to the Matrix movies, a really crap follow-up to a brilliant movie.

28 Days Later was such a good movie. Pity they haven't made any sequels.;):p

Hnau

Banned
I actually did an independent analysis of the situation without even looking at your refugee number of 3 million, and I have to say, I arrived at the same exact figure! That gives the number much more credibility I say. I put it the numbers together by figuring out the maximum number of people that could leave the United Kingdom if the airplanes kept flying nonstop and ships kept sailing across the Channel, accounting for eventual termination of those services due to the expansion of the infected.

However, that doesn't mean the number of surviving UK citizens is 3 million. There are also around 250,000 tourists and businessmen that would have been stranded outside of the UK at that point. And, of course, we have Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, various other islands around Britain and other UK territories around the world. We also have the few survivors, too, that emerge from the mainland after the Infected die out. I optimistically put the number of surviving United Kingdom non-expatriate citizens at 5 million.

There are also 3 million expatriate citizens of the United Kingdom around the world as of 2003. I would think that most of these would be adopted very quickly into the countries they are currently living in and working in. Nevertheless, in the aftermath of the Rage Infection I would estimate a total surviving population of 8 million UK citizens. Not bad at all.

I am really liking the timeline, and I loved your maps! :) However, I think you are underestimating the economic and financial shocks at losing one of the world's most powerful economies. This will undoubtedly start the next Great Depression. Trillions of dollars in economies outside of the UK are going to be lost. Especially hard hit will be Europe, Ireland at the top of the list, China, and the United States of America. Seeing how the current recession is affecting the European Union badly, such a depression could even destroy the nascent EU.

Then again, it won't be long before the Rage virus gets to the Eurasian continent, which will cause even more damage to the world economy, so you might not even want to afford it that much consideration.

Last edited:
So, out of the nearly sixty million people on the island of Great Britain, only around five million survive? Talk about grim! :eek:

Then again, it won't be long before the Rage virus gets to the Eurasian continent, which will cause even more damage to the world economy, so you might not even want to afford it that much consideration.

This. A great deal of effort and money will be expended trying to stop (or at least delay) the inevidable. When migrating birds start dropping infected body parts or die (their bodies picked up by pets) an outbreak will eventually happen. Not to mention non-systomatic carriers...

(Sorry about the spelling:()

I would have gone into more detail about the economic impact of the outbreak, but im not really all that knowledgeable about global fincances and such.

However, once the outbreak hits France and then the rest of Europe, the global economy will probably collapse rapidly, leading all sorts of chaos, even in areas far from infection.

I would have gone into more detail about the economic impact of the outbreak, but im not really all that knowledgeable about global fincances and such.

However, once the outbreak hits France and then the rest of Europe, the global economy will probably collapse rapidly, leading all sorts of chaos, even in areas far from infection.

well the american market crash brought us into a global recession..imagine what would happen if one of the major western powers had its entire county wiped out by infected "zombies", destroying major cities and plunging other nations into refugee camps...id imagine it would knock it down a bit

JSmith

Banned

As flawed as 28 Weeks Later may be it or something like it is necessary if you want to expand the story by expanding the Rage virus to the Continent.So I'd say dont worry about it being a part of the timeline. Do you know when the next update will be at this point?

Hnau

Banned
With the complete destruction of the UK, you'll see a huge switch-up of export-import partners. Of the goods imported to Ireland, for example, 35% comes from the UK. Mainly in data processing equipment, machinery, chemicals, petroleum, textiles and clothing. Ireland will now have to find a new source of these imports to provide these necessities to their population: the United States, France, Germany, the Netherlands, etc. etc. who are probably happy to find international trade to replace the UK, but the problem is that re-organizing trade links is damn expensive, it's probably more expensive than importing from the UK, and the world will be reeling from a financial loss in the stock markets and elsewhere amounting to tens or even hundreds of trillions of dollars. Ireland won't be able to import as much as they did with the UK before 2003. That'll drive up prices, the cost of living, there will be increases in unemployment, probably followed by bailouts and government Keynesian policies, which will drive up inflation.

When the virus reaches Eurasia, it'll make all of that look like a tea party. There will be a vast re-organization of the world economy and it'll cause every country to go into panicked, emergency Depression survival mode. Then, there will be the the largest population migration in the entire recorded history of humanity, as millions of people flee to countries thought to be "safe". I imagine a lot of Europeans will flee to North Africa, Scandinavia, to various islands like Iceland, the Azores, Sicily, Malta, Venice, the Greek islands, Cyprus, etc. etc. By air they'll be fleeing by the millions to the Americas if they'll be allowed in. When the virus gets to Russia, to the Middle East, to India or China... it's going to get insane.

Interestingly enough, I bet there will be a lot of refugees sailing back to old empty Britain. Assuming that enough time has passed for the Infected to die off again, of course. There were only a few thousand in the second outbreak and the US military was firebombing most of them. Maybe Britain will be resettled by the French, the Belgians and the Dutch, haha, imagine that.

As flawed as 28 Weeks Later may be it or something like it is necessary if you want to expand the story by expanding the Rage virus to the Continent.So I'd say dont worry about it being a part of the timeline. Do you know when the next update will be at this point?
Im hoping to have another update by tomorrow, hopefully.

Interestingly enough, I bet there will be a lot of refugees sailing back to old empty Britain. Assuming that enough time has passed for the Infected to die off again, of course. There were only a few thousand in the second outbreak and the US military was firebombing most of them. Maybe Britain will be resettled by the French, the Belgians and the Dutch, haha, imagine that.

That was actually an idea i had been already thinking about implementing later on in the timeline. Given how empty Britain is, and the death of most of the infected, it could, ironically, become the safest place in western Europe other than maybe Ireland.