Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

Now we are only 8 votes away from LTTW! Can we do it? YES WE CAN! VOTE DSA!!!

(note, update is being worked on - hope to have out tonight).

And our slow creep towards a dark horse victory continues - we are now only SEVEN votes behind LTTW!!!

Glen

Not sure why I haven't commented on this TL long ago. This is a great TL.

Well thanks for commenting now!

You trumped my "Hey look guys it's the obligatory Roosevelt in AH!" reference by just a post or two in my TL.

Well, gosh....

Given all the hype, I'm expecting a nice picture of a little girl holding a flower as a mushroom cloud rises in the background. "If you vote for Look to the West...bad things might happen."

Keep up the good work.

Benjamin

Oh, I shall....

benjamin says so.png

Nice. That was the exact political add I was alluding to. We watched that thing so many times in my Political Thought and Theory class a Penn State that I wanted to drop a bomb my self on that darn kid.

"I said no picking the damn flowers, you obnoxious little brat!! Oh yeah, and vote for the Dominion of Southern America!"

Slim-pickens_riding-the-bomb_enh-lo.jpg

Glen

Nice. That was the exact political add I was alluding to. We watched that thing so many times in my Political Thought and Theory class a Penn State that I wanted to drop a bomb my self on that darn kid.

"I said no picking the damn flowers, you obnoxious little brat!! Oh yeah, and vote for the Dominion of Southern America!"

Nice, very nice! Dr. Strangelove is the perfect riposte!

Glen

And our slow creep towards a dark horse victory continues - we are now only SEVEN votes behind LTTW!!!

Unbelievable! We are now but a mere FIVE VOTES behind the venerable Look To The West!! This is possible, we could take this!!! Quick, get your neighbors, your acquaintences, your accountants even to vote!:D

Glen

Unbelievable! We are now but a mere FIVE VOTES behind the venerable Look To The West!! This is possible, we could take this!!! Quick, get your neighbors, your acquaintences, your accountants even to vote!:D

AND NOW WE ARE ONLY 3 votes behind!:eek::D:cool:

Glen

In other breaking news, we have just surpassed "Fight and Be Right!" in number of views to become the fourth most viewed thread in Before 1900! Thank you one and all, my dear readers!!!

Glen

Glen

Damn! I have two week's holiday and another 5 pages appears.;)

No major developments over the holidays but some interesting discussions and points raised.

Looking forward to seeing how the war(s) develop. Has the S American conflict actually been linked into the wider war? I.e. are the western powers also at war with Grand Columbia?

Steve

That is a very astute question. It does develop into a wider part of the war.

Glen

While the Western Powers generally had better intelligence in Europe, in South America they had failed to appreciate the threat to their supply lines and the seduction of New Granada and Brazil into the Korsgaardian sphere of influence. Within days of the New Granada initiation of hostilities, it became apparent that Brazil too was waging war against the United Provinces of South America.

New Granada advanced primarily in the Winter of 1889-90 along the Pacific Coast of the UPSA, with the bulk of their attack being by sea. This was a surprise to most as New Granada had never been known as a naval power. Granted, the UPSA itself only had a modest navy though larger than New Granada prior to the war. Interestingly, both were outfitted mostly with British surplus ships, with one important exception. New Granada at the eleventh hour was 'leased' several Shark Boats from Mexico with 'volunteer' crews. Most nations in South America had relied on the British to keep the peace on the naval front, but with the Royal Navy otherwise preoccupied across the globe and the surpise success of the Shark Boat and their self propelled naval mines, Sharks, the navy of New Granada was able to gain superiority over the local naval forces of the UPSA.

The Brazilians had been sullen over the victories of the UPSA and the loss of Rio Grande do Sul for generations, thus in one sense it was no surprise when they leapt at the chance for revenge. The Brazilians launched a main campaign to invade Rio Grande do Sul and cut it off from UPSA support, which would also place them within striking distance of the UPSA capital. While this effort in itself supported Brazilian war aims, it also served to hold down the majority of the USPA's military on the Atlantic Coast, just when their troops were needed on the Pacific coast. The Brazilians also sent a small overland force to support the New Granada effort to seize the Atacama Desert for its vital nitrites, though this was by and large a sideshow for the main event in South America. The Brazilians who did not have the Shark Boats of Mexico was unable to control the coast, though they did manage to keep occupied the UPSA's Atlantic Navy. Again, the two fleets were primarily composed of British surplus, pitting older models of British ships against one another.

South America Global War.png