Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

Europe and the world have not yet passed through the phase of acquiring all of Africa and then regarding their states there as vanity colonies - colonies are still largely based around the idea of profit margins,

A good point, and the profits probably aren't there....

and I'm not sure whether the concept of White Man's Burden has come into vogue in order for it to go out of vogue too.

There is a version of this out there.

There doesn't seem to be any real impetus - or rather, any reason for any impetus - to the idea of abolishing monarchies at the end of this war, which I regard as a fairly important step behind making the countries wanting to jettison their colonies - connected to democracy, that is to say.

So that is making you say it was in fact likely to hold onto colonies ITTL?

On the same lines, I regard the rise of the British welfare state as an important step, seeing as it does that it promotes the idea that the colonial natives might have a need for care too - among Europeans, and among the colonials themselves.

Not a factor ITTL at this point in history for sure.

Again connected, all this hasn't (or at least, I don't remember seeing it) contributed to any calls for a European nation to allow a colony to be self-determining, in the way that India OTL was starting to call for self-determination. Hostility, or at least a conscious and unified effort by colonials to refuse to cooperate with the colonial governments is a fairly important step in making decolonialism attractive.

Okay, a point.

Then there's also the stuff I already talked about, re: colonies becoming a major financial burden on their owners.

I could list a few more, but those are the major ones, off the top of my head.

Noted - thanks for the feedback.

So that is making you say it was in fact likely to hold onto colonies ITTL?

Not specifically the abolition of monarchies, but the widespread presence of democracy. I tend to view the decolonialism phase as the result of three distinct things, to simplify this discussion down by a large degree: 1 - the fact that Europe couldn't afford its loss-making colonies anymore after WWs 1+2; 2 - the rise of democracy and welfare meaning that there was a substantial minority vox populi in several states essentially saying "how can we live with ourselves running colonies where people are so underpriviledged" (this also incorporates the colonials themselves calling for self-determination); 3 - the US strongly leaning on France and the UK to ditch their empires and retreat back into their European shells allowing the USA a free shot at making its own emp...oops, did I say that out loud?

As far as I can see so far, none of these three main considerations currently exist. Point 1 theoretically could occur at the end of this war if the war is even more destructive than WW2 OTL. Point 3 theoretically could occur but given the USA is hardly at the prestige level it was OTL, and looks highly unlikely to be needed to save the day in the way it was OTL, it would be somewhat pretentious of them to try it, and the European states would be well within their rights to simply laugh them out of the treaty discussions for saying it. Point 2 so far I have seen little-to-no indication of whatsoever though I could be wrong, and I regard point 2 to be the most important one.

As mentioned above, that three point system is an oversimplification. Each of those points could be broken down further, meaning there's a considerable grey area/unsatisfied conditions here.

Glen

There were many tales that were serialized from the Global War, with perhaps the most popular in the United States of America being The Adventures of Nick and Marty - The Roosevelt Brothers At War. The Roosevelt brothers father, Nicholas Van Buren Roosevelt, was the oldest son of former US President Nicholas Samuel Roosevelt and grandson of steamboat magnate Nicholas Isaac Roosevelt.

Nick Roosevelt, the oldest brother, was the first to volunteer for service in the Global War, joining the British Airship Corps, becoming the captain of his own Orca before war's end. Nick Roosevelt was so well regarded among his fellows,that despite his American roots, he was tapped to lead the daring air strike on Berlin, and would be highly decorated for this and his successful return of his damaged Air Whale to Hanover.

Marty Roosevelt was Nick's younger brother, who joined an American light cavalry unit formed to combat the Mexican onslaught flooding into the western regions of the Dominion of Southern America. Marty rose rapidly through the ranks of what developed into an irregular force, launching attacks deep into the Mexican supply lines. Within a year, young Marty had risen to acting commander of what came to be called Roosevelt's Raiders.

The Roosevelt Brothers.png

Glen

There were many tales that were serialized from the Global War, with perhaps the most popular in the United States of America being The Adventures of Nick and Marty - The Roosevelt Brothers At War. The Roosevelt brothers father, Nicholas Van Buren Roosevelt, was the oldest son of former US President Nicholas Samuel Roosevelt and grandson of steamboat magnate Nicholas Isaac Roosevelt.

Nick Roosevelt, the oldest brother, was the first to volunteer for service in the Global War, joining the British Airship Corps, becoming the captain of his own Orca before war's end. Nick Roosevelt was so well regarded among his fellows,that despite his American roots, he was tapped to lead the daring air strike on Berlin, and would be highly decorated for this and his successful return of his damaged Air Whale to Hanover.

Marty Roosevelt was Nick's younger brother, who joined an American light cavalry unit formed to combat the Mexican onslaught flooding into the western regions of the Dominion of Southern America. Marty rose rapidly through the ranks of what developed into an irregular force, launching attacks deep into the Mexican supply lines. Within a year, young Marty had risen to acting commander of what came to be called Roosevelt's Raiders.
attachment.php

Not one but two Roosevelts. The awesomeness contained in this post is near singularity density.

As this timeline continues, it gets more awesome. I'd be careful Glen, as I am sure there are laws against making a timeline this awesome. Keep up the good work.

Although something to do with Roosevelt was expected, a Teddy Roosevelt at that - but brothers, just wow!:eek:

Yet..... Van Buren Roosevelt. Van Buren. That is probably the most unexpected addition to the name. Just, wow. :D:eek:

Though as a Brit I am immune to all Roosevelt-is-awesome hyperbole, with one brother fighting for the US and one for the empire, what price

Glen

Though as a Brit I am immune to all Roosevelt-is-awesome hyperbole, with one brother fighting for the US and one for the empire, what price

Actually, they are BOTH fighting for the British Empire, one in the DSA, the other in Europe.

Actually, they are BOTH fighting for the British Empire, one in the DSA, the other in Europe.

Yes, but if I read it correctly, Nick is actually fighting for a British unit, whereas Marty is leading a US unit which is simply assisting their allies on British soil, and thus within reasonable expectation at the end of the war will simply be given orders to return to the USA and remain American, albeit as a hero.

Glen

YES. It has been done.

Not one but two Roosevelts. The awesomeness contained in this post is near singularity density.

As this timeline continues, it gets more awesome. I'd be careful Glen, as I am sure there are laws against making a timeline this awesome. Keep up the good work.

Although something to do with Roosevelt was expected, a Teddy Roosevelt at that - but brothers, just wow!:eek:

Thank you one and all for your praise - high praise indeed! I am gladdened that my works are moving you so.

Yet..... Van Buren Roosevelt. Van Buren. That is probably the most unexpected addition to the name. Just, wow. :D:eek:

But really, two old Dutch families of standing in New York - the surprise is that it wasn't OTL!:D

My plans to infuse Roosevelt blood and influence into Albion's royal family and national ethos have now been rendered nothing but soggy cereal. ;) Seriously though Glen, you are a master story weaver! :cool: