Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

very nice, the american west is more filled in than I thought it was.

still, there are frontier territories left, and this leads to something that's been nagging at my mind for a couple days now, I wonder how Korsgaardianism will mix with westward settlement.

the ideas that have come to me are:
1) that they might not care that much
2) they might push for more and faster settlement, simply adopting manifest destiny rhetoric.
3)or, they might choose a territory (or territories) to make into their pet project(s), and try to build an exemplary Korsgaardian society (or at least create a reliable voting block for down the road).

of course there's a million other things they might do, so that at least, will be something interesting to watch about them as time goes forward.

Last edited:

Glen

Note to self - map still has some errors - particular one that jumps out is Crimea should still be Ottoman.

A map of the world circa 1880

Hmm...Settlement in Africa doesn't seem too realistic to me. Mainly that nations at this point would be following coasts around, or following rivers inland. Prussian Congo, for example, seems to be a little strangely shaped by 1880, and I doubt they would have outright colonised that much of it.

Edit: Actually, if you wanted, PM me some of the important details of Africa and I can whip up something for you.

Am I right in seeing Zanzibar coloured English pink, but all of the Sultan of Zanzibar's land on the African continent (i.e. that strip of coast just above Mozambique) is French? Might well have happened in the storyline, I just can't remember all the updates :eek:

Glen

I suddenly feel like an ass...

Ok, I stand corrected. NOW I feel like an ass...

Now then, now then - the sins of the alternate fathers, all that.

I fear what Glen is going to do to my grandpa's name...

Nice to have you back kingsguard.

Thanks, good to be back. OOC, you grandfather's last name was Korsgaard?

Not its Jack Goodwin and I asked Glen to include it in about the mid 20th century.

Oh, you never can tell....

This tl has taken a sudden turn for the worse...:(

I hope you mean historically, and not in terms of quality....

Perhaps, but I ma begining to feel like the man who unleashed a lion on a herd of lambs. Or in this case, tyranny in a mostly utopian TL.

Maybe, maybe....

Glen

The Empire of Russia had enjoyed relative peace and stability since the end of the succession wars in 1865. Tsar Nicholas I had proven an able and popular autocrat. While socially and economically a moderate and pragmatist, when it came to political control he was an ardent upholder of absolute monarchy. In his later life, he found the philosophies of Zeus Korsgaard much to his liking, initially introduced to him by his relative the Prussian-Polish Kaisar Wilhelm. Nicholas brought the Russian Orthodox Church more intimately under his control as an organ of the state, as well a mix of social reforms designed to weaken the aristocracy in favor of the crown. They had the happy side of ending the formal practice of serfdom in Russia. In theory, all serfs became directly beholden to the state in the person of the Tsar, but in practice this gained them a modicum of autonomy, and though they still had to depend on the landed aristocracy for access to the land. This in effect made the tsar even more popular with the people, though it did little to improve his standing with the nobility. On the other hand, his formation of a secret police to deal with dissident nobles did much to keep them in line. The several assassination attempts during his reign were almost exclusively due to the plotting of members of the aristocracy. His ability to survive as well as his hard line towards dissenters among the aristocracy earned him the sobriquet of the Steel Tsar. Tsar Nicholas was also lavish in his rewards for loyalty and service to the crown for nobles who fell in line with his regime. By the 1880s he had a compliant aristocracy (due to attrition if nothing else), a religion that served his needs, and a grateful populace. Especially popular had been his patronage of infrastructure projects and extension of education among the commoners.

In line with his adoption of a more autocratic and Korsgaardian style of rule, Tsar Nicholas banned the old merchant flag of Russia that many had used for representing the nation and instead made his personal standard with the additions of bands of red and black (common 'Korsgaardian' colors) as the official banner of the Russian Empire.

The old, proscribed merchant flag of Russia
500px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png

The official flag of Tsarist Russia

Korsgaardian Russia Flag.png

Glen

Just because three "fascist" nations got together in WW2 doesn't mean it will happen in this tl. After all it's unlikely that an ultra-nationalist France would cosy up with an ultra-nationalist Germany. Now so far all the Korsgaardian powers seem to be relatively feud free (with the semi-exception of Russia and Prussia-Poland) but that doesn't mean that alliance systems driven by national self interest won't put them on opposite sides. Also the fact that the US has a Korsgaardian Party doesn't mean that its going to get elected.

Plus the US is not Facist/Kosgardist there is only a kosgardist Party amongst the established parties. It seems to be nothing more than a mix of the People's Party of OTL, with some nativist and expansionists elements to it.

It is likely that this right-wing populist party will disapear once the economic troubles are gone.