Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

With British Patagonia and Australia would the DSA really be referred to as "the South"? Also what are people from the USA called? USAians or Freedonians sounds stupid, the existence and prominence of the DSA vetoes "Americans". IMHO I think Yankee will win out despite the complaints of Virginians and those from the mid-Atlantic states.
I recommend Dixie. Plus "Southern America" and the fact it is a Dominion is way too confusing.

Glen

With British Patagonia and Australia would the DSA really be referred to as "the South"?

Southerners or Southrons. It's an old term that hangs on, even as it becomes increasingly anachronistic. Such is life....

Also what are people from the USA called? USAians or Freedonians sounds stupid, the existence and prominence of the DSA vetoes "Americans". IMHO I think Yankee will win out despite the complaints of Virginians and those from the mid-Atlantic states.

Oh, they are pretty much Yankees or Americans.

Sorry, but Dixie never really caught on ITTL.

Confusing in what sense? It may be confusing for us, but for most people in that timeline, they know immediately of whom you are speaking.
Let say, someone talks of "The Southern American Dominion". For some, they missed out on one little piece, and thinks of Patagonia...

Glen

Interesting idea with cricket taking off in the dominion. Going to be a potential super-power there with the large white population being supplemented by the blacks as racial barriers drop. Could also help reduce them as a joint interest in the sport will allow appeals over the racial barriers.

When India also develops in the game and possibly a combined Australia/New Zealand there are some formidable series coming up.:D

Steve

I expanded my search a bit on the impact of the Long Depression on New Imperialism. But I am still coming up with the responses that actually expansion of colonialism during that depression was seen as a way to improve the economy

<snip>

Alright, fair enough.

International Cricket started with exhibition tours, first of English teams through the Dominion, and then of Dominion teams to the British Isles. By the 1860s, Cricket had become a national pastime for both the United Kingdom and the Dominioon.

<snip>

Interesting. Does this entirely veto the existence of an Ashes tournament, since you said that the Queen's Cup is the most prestigious tournament, and I think part of the continued success of the Ashes was because of its pre-eminent status in cricket? And also, of course, since the existence of another competition like this somewhat confirms that the Ashes (if it exists here) won't be called "the Ashes" anyway, since that moniker was a press invention bemoaning the death of English dominance in a sport they invented...If it's already been done before, I assume that the press response to being beaten by Australia too would be somewhat more subdued.

With British Patagonia and Australia would the DSA really be referred to as "the South"? Also what are people from the USA called? USAians or Freedonians sounds stupid, the existence and prominence of the DSA vetoes "Americans". IMHO I think Yankee will win out despite the complaints of Virginians and those from the mid-Atlantic states.
Wouldn't Patagonia just be called Patagonia, and Australia Australia?

Glen

Let say, someone talks of "The Southern American Dominion". For some, they missed out on one little piece, and thinks of Patagonia...

Someone from OTL, absolutely! However, ITTL, the common convention is for Southern or Southern American to only refer to the DSA. The British colonies in South America, Guyana and Patagonia, are always refered to by name, in part to avoid such confusion. Note that neither are Dominions so far in the timeline, so the 'Old Southern Dominion' will always be the only Southern Dominion, even though there is the potential for much more geographically southern dominions in the future.

Someone from OTL, absolutely! However, ITTL, the common convention is for Southern or Southern American to only refer to the DSA. The British colonies in South America, Guyana and Patagonia, are always refered to by name, in part to avoid such confusion. Note that neither are Dominions so far in the timeline, so the 'Old Southern Dominion' will always be the only Southern Dominion, even though there is the potential for much more geographically southern dominions in the future.
Thank you for clearing that up. "Southern American" is a bit of a mouthful. What is the short name for people from it?

I could see Southerns as well....I would expect several variants of reference to develop over time. That's actually one pet peeve I have of some timelines - everything just has one specific name, whereas in reality they often have several synonyms.

It would be interesting to see the rest of the english speaking world calling them Notso's. It could start with some group in British Patagonia trying to distinguish themselves as being truly Southern (global-wise) compared to those northern Southerners. Eventually it is shorted to NoSo and somewhere along the line it becomes Not So-->Notso. It could have come about by some like minded people saying "them DSA guys are Notso perfect... they're Notso good at music... they're food is Notso great..."

It could become Nutso for an even further derogatory term in regards to those who look on the good old days prior to becoming a part of the British Commonwealth again. You know there are always going to be a bunch who look on days of yore as the good ole days (eg. people in OTL who sport CSA flags).

I like it too. Perhaps we could give the DSA giant elephants as war weapons (to be used in the inevitable Great War?)

Well, they do have camels....

Perhaps you could have TTL's version of a HG Wells type writer come from the DSA and he writes a story called "The Elephants of Iron" (The Land Ironclads), but instead of it being about early tanks it is about early forms of (armored) self propelled artillery. The gun resembles the trunk of an elephant to someone and that name stick. While Trunks look like OTL tanks they are lightly armored. So, the equivalent to tanks ITTL is the Rhino, because of the idea of a charging, armor skinned rhinoceous.