When the Wind Blew: a P&S Open Thread

stalkere

Banned
Here's my idea:

Title: Slowly Walk towards the Grave*
Setting: USSR
Description: Follows various surviving Soviet communities; some possibilities:
- People who survived by hiding in the Moscow (or Leningrad) subway tunnels and their attempts to manage what limited resources they have in the time before it is safe enough to return to the surface.
- People in various towns and villages in the Urals and Siberian regions, now some of the most populated in the USSR. Includes a war between various post-Soviet factions as various military leaders claim the settlements.
- The tale of Red Army troops in Central and Eastern Europe, many of whom try to live off the land, some of whom pursue the dream of returning to the motherland.
- A story of workers and technicians who survived in a hardened bunker/factory complex thing, and the postwar factions who want to manipulate this surviving relic of the industrial world.

*= The title comes from a cynical joke about the Soviet atomic civil defense program, which goes like this:
"What do you do when the air raid alarm sounds?"
"What?"
"Cover yourself in a white sheet and slowly walk towards the graveyard."
"Why slowly?"
"You wouldn't want to start a panic, would you?" .

This shows a very good appreciation of the Soviet sense of humor. I'd appreciate seeing something like this, if it were done well.

Title: The Sun Rises a Thousand Times
Setting: Japan
Description: A TL about how the Japanese survivors deal not only with massive destruction wrought upon their country, but also the impending famine that will kill just as many as the bombs did. I am particularly interested in how this nation fares because the Japanese have, as the recent earthquake demonstrated, a weird ability to stay orderly.

Not sure how much the Japanese would get - other than the US bases at Misawa, Yokuska, Kadena/Naha. It would be the famines/oil shortage that would be the real killer for them. OTOH, they have - to American eyes - the strange ability to maintain order and stay in line to get things done.

Well, to me wll always be the Land of Ice and Snow. That song by Stratovarius is the true national anthem...

The title is a reference to this classic song from 1982. I'll try to include music in the TL that people in the winter of 1983-84 would have listened ITTL. Stratovarius would be too new, as would be CMX, a band I would be highly partial for using in describing post-nuclear settings.

I've got two ideas I wanna share.

Title of TL: When The Wind Comes Right Behind the Rain

Setting: Oklahoma, United States

Brief Description: Our story follows the adventures of a diverse cast of characters in postnuclear Oklahoma--an Oklahoma City microbiologist and family trying to make their way out to their ancestral homestead in the Panhandle, an aging Cherokee farmer near nuked-out Tulsa trying to protect his farm and family from bandits, coyotes, and a violent Christian fundamentalist group, a psychologist and his son trying to make their way to East Texas, and a young pianist and her Argentine husband trying to survive in the ruins of Oklahoma City.

Title of TL: Fire on the Tundra

Setting: Nome, Alaska (as well as other areas of Alaska)

Brief Description: In postnuclear Alaska, the Inuit shareholders of the north and west attempt to form a fragile sort of stability in the state, led by the Bering Straits Native Corporation. However, their push towards reunification of the state is opposed by the remnants of Alaskan Air Command, led by a racist colonel, as well as survivalist militias attempting to carve out their own bits of territory. Extreme drama in the extreme north.

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
Prompted by thoughts of trying to maintain some sense of 'normality' Post Exchange and equip children for the new challenges they will face.

Title: A is for Armageddon

Setting: East Coast USA (New England. Probably.)

Brief Description:
Brought to you by the Childrens' Television Workshop, "A is for Armageddon" gives glimpses into the struggle to explain to children the new facts of Post Exchange life.

Through the medium of Sesame Street critical information is communicated to children (and the adults drawn to the programmes/performances).

Traveling Troupes take the messages out to isolated communities by any means available.
The TL could follow one of the Troupes as they travel their patch, encountering small rural communities.

Kermit the Frog provides the serious warnings.
Oscar the Grouch leads a recycling programme.
Cookie Monster learns not to eat 'found' food the hard way.
The Count teaches children how to read radiation levels.

"One of these things is not like the others" Teaches children that only a Radiation Reading can tell the difference between 'Safe' and 'Sick' objects.

Anyone who'd like to, please feel free to run with this idea.
I'd like to see it developed but have neither the time nor the talent to do it justice. :eek:

Falkenburg

Title: A is for Armageddon

Very interesting. I may run with this a little in Duck and Cover. I'll see how it goes.

That brings up an interesting question. How does schooling play out?

Perhaps primary and stunted "middle school" (6-8th) grades, but I think most kids won't get a high school education for years. :(

Sounds good to me - but how are they going to trek anywhere in February? Especially February of '84? leaving aside any Nuclear Winter considerations - IIRC, that was a mothering cold winter OTL.
They could hold out till April. I am just suggesting this for someone else to write if they want.

Perhaps primary and stunted "middle school" (6-8th) grades, but I think most kids won't get a high school education for years. :(

I would very much say that it depends highly on the place where you are. A place such as "Columbia" will soon go lengths to pretend normalcy.

In other places, any schools will be an utopia for years to come.

In communities were most long-term survivors get along, situations like in (post-) WW2 Europe might be common. Shortened time until you get a degree. Half-day schooling (either to get the kids to do something sensible in the mornings, or either because too many refugee-children cram the schools, so they have to be taught in shifts). But don't forget that schools also provide a lot of social control. Adolescents are born troublemakers. Schools keep a lid on them. And schools with their certainly changes curricula are important to thoroughly spread anything authorities want to be known.

That brings up an interesting question. How does schooling play out?

That would be something to figure out. Nebraska has a person with a degree in Educational Psychology on speed dial...He might have an idea or two. :)

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
In the harsh reality of a Post Exchange world, it would seem necessitous to mobilise the entire population for Recovery Projects.

Education Systems are similar to the military in their ability to mobilise large numbers for specific ends.

It therefore strikes me as entirely plausible that such systems would become a major part of government operations.

Junior Pioneers, Scouts, Guides, Cadets, etcetera, could well become central to social structures.
So far (most of) the juvenile characters have been very lucky.
They haven't lost their parents (or guardians). Yet.

However, Post Exchange this could well change.
Point being that the surviving population could well be (heavily) skewed towards the younger demographics.

In such circumstances, the Education System (and assorted quasi-paramilitary offshoots) may well prove essential to societal cohesion.

Child Soldiers, and all other types of exploitation and abuse, would be an existential threat to 'successful' Recovery.
Countering those baleful aspects of a shattered world and equipping children for the struggles ahead would consequently be of the highest importance.

Hence the thought about Sesame Street.
<Caesium Street? Too soon?>

Falkenburg

I have another idea that I'd like to tackle once The Last Flight of XM594 is finished.

Title of TL: Horse Soldiers, or Monty goes to war.
Setting: The southern UK.
Brief Description: A story from the Home Front, both before and after the exchange. Features the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment and the Royal Duties Force.

Title of TL: That Damned Bridge - A MN Protect and Survive

Setting: A small town on the St. Croix river in Stillwater, MN.

Brief Description: A tale of hardship taking place in a small cozy city in eastern Minnesota, which is taking a fair bit of Fallout from the strikes on Minneapolis, St. Paul, and the missile fields of ND and SD. This focuses on the continuity of government, and a group of National Guardsmen native to Stillwater

I was living in North Queensland Australia near Cairns in 1984 and remember those times very well.

I would like to write a short series of vignettes on communities in that region on That Day and succeeding periods.

Comments? Not many contributors from the land of Oz.

I was living in North Queensland Australia near Cairns in 1984 and remember those times very well.

I would like to write a short series of vignettes on communities in that region on That Day and succeeding periods.

Go for it, OZ may be the best off, if you live outside the cities...

"

An Australian timeline? DO IT, MATE! DO IT!

Seraphiel

Banned
someone should get all the tls in one place (the updates) so you dont have to go through a million comments and other replies to read them

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
That sounds like a Herculean task. :eek:

Would they all be arranged chronologically, integrating the various Threads into a single tapestry?

Good luck, Gen_!

Falkenburg