Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

Yessir. Pekin (Paducah) is the perfect candidate for a big port city to spring up.

Thanks for listening!

You are welcome - Paducah does have some history of being good for this....

I disagree what about Cairo, Illinois not only is it much closer to the border but as the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers it much better placed to be the primary import/export port to the DSA as it's much closer to the border. Admittedly it probably wouldn't be sited where it is between two rivers but on one bank or the other.

Cairo also had a heyday in transport, and it is true that it is a major point of nexus for travel on the Ohio and Mississippi.

It historically didn't grow as large as Paducah, why would it be different here? And if it's on the other bank, it's pretty much absorbed by Paducah anyway. Between the areas of Cairo, Metropolis, and Paducah there would be a large cross-river metropolitan area with the highest density in Paducah.

They are relatively close together, sorta Chicago/Gary close. Paducah looks to have done a better job holding onto population than Cairo did IOTL. Need to figure out more about how things would likely develop this go round.

Isn't this whole region a bit too flood prone to be the site of a major inland port?

It dos make for a bit of a challenge, but there are plenty of flood prone areas that developed OTL so I don't think it is make or break.

Cairo also had a heyday in transport, and it is true that it is a major point of nexus for travel on the Ohio and Mississippi.

At the end of the day Cairo is closer to the border and is at the nexus of bigger an important rivers.

They are relatively close together, sorta Chicago/Gary close. Paducah looks to have done a better job holding onto population than Cairo did IOTL. Need to figure out more about how things would likely develop this go round.

Well in OTL Cairo had some pretty horrific race riots and a very bad Civil Rights era which pretty much killed it. Butterflying that away would be pretty easy.

Glen

The flag of rebel Louisiana was established just prior to the formation of the Confederation of Southern America. The flag looked to the roots of Louisiana and its traditional symbol of the Pelican, combining it with the revolutionary tricolor of France. Louisiana continued to fly the Pelican Tricolor as a Confederationist state after the formation of the Confederation.

Confederationist Louisiana Flag.png

The flag of rebel Louisiana was established just prior to the formation of the Confederation of Southern America. The flag looked to the roots of Louisiana and its traditional symbol of the Pelican, combining it with the revolutionary tricolor of France. Louisiana continued to fly the Pelican Tricolor as a Confederationist state after the formation of the Confederation.

Interesting.

Admittedly, though, the pelican looks...odd...on this flag. I cannot place my finger on it. I like it, but it looks a bit off, for some reason.

iddt3

Donor
I think Glen has said that overall social and economic conditions for blacks in the DSA and the USA are pretty similar, to the point that there is no pressing political reason for a diaspora of blacks to flee northward.

That said, there will be more economic opportunity in the cities in the USA than the DSA for some time. There will simply be more jobs in the factories, mines, and lumber yards of the North than the DSA will have for several generations. Due to the comparable lack of language issues, I'd expect that a lot of Northern employers would prefer black DSAers to non-anglophone migrants as well. Balanced against the USA being somewhat culturally alien, I think a 50/50 split for urban migration is reasonable.

In a way, this might really save the black population in the USA. One of my concerns in the longer term is blacks outside of Virginia are so thin on the ground in this USA that OTL's color line is probably never really established. Thus the likely fate of most blacks in the cities and on the frontier would be the tendency of their acculturated children and grandchildren to vanish into the white population, who would generally not have major issue with miscegenation. If DSA migrants boosted the black population somewhat higher, however, blacks would become numerous enough to seem a threat, particularly in urban areas, which would probably stabilize the ethnicity.
I mean the Irish are still semi-recognizable in OTL Boston (at least the socio-cultural/general phenotype), so I would think Blacks could survive as a distinct culture there considering they have more to differentiate themselves, at least until there's more African immigration in the 20th century (which admittedly might be more oriented towards the DSA.) This USA is gonna be weird, probably still a super power, but with a very different socio/cultural political matrix. Probably more liberal though. The DSA can keep it's conservatism.

This USA is gonna be weird, probably still a super power, but with a very different socio/cultural political matrix. Probably more liberal though. The DSA can keep it's conservatism.

Honestly, if you want to try and break it into traditional politics, liberal and conservative may not be the best way to describe it.

Glen

While various versions of the Union Jack with the cross of St. George cut out were used early in the Slaver Uprising throughout the South, it became a symbol especially of the Georgians, who blamed the King of England for taking the side of natives over the colonists of Georgia. Thus when the Confederation formed and a new flag was created for the CSA, the Georgians kept their cut-out Union Jacks as the flag of Confederationist Georgia.

Confederationist Georgia Flag.png

Glen

There not exactly next door but you are right that a metro area stretching from OTL Cairo to OTL Paducah is entirely possible if not probable.

The other question in that equation is when it would be plausible.

I just think that the position of Cairo on the Mississippi will give it the edge. Though you might want to move it to the East bank just below the fork and spend some money on levee's to minimise the severe flood risk.

A fair point, and a possibility - I will be looking into that whole area for suitability of developments.

Glen

Having served with a Cheyanne chieftan in the Army, he always told me the relationships of the tribes in the Dakotas/Montana area with the USA had been mostly peaceful since the time of Lewis and Clark, especially compared to tribes like the Apace to the South. It certainly helped that skin color wise, alot of the Native Americans of the area almost look white. Until gold was discovered, it looked like they may be peacefully assimilated by the turn of the century.

unless I'm mistaken, doesn't the geography you describe refer more to the likes of the Mandan, Hidatsa, and Arikara?

A Cheyenne probably knows more about these things than I would, but I lived in the Montana-North Dakota Region for some time, and what everyone told me while I was there was that the Sioux originally come from Minnesota, and that they'd clashed with settlers pretty much ever since settlers started showing up.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, just to add my two cents.

From what I can tell, the Sioux tribes did migrate there from the Great Lakes regions, clashed with preexisting tribes, and with the Americans as they started moving into the area. So I think what really was meant was that historically there were tribes in the Dakotas who had more cordial relations with the Americans, but the Sioux were not them, and of course, with Gold the best of relations often go to pot....

Glen

Now you have got me wanting to buy 'White Gold';

Glad to hear it! BTW, did you catch all the connotations of the title?

A different racial discrimination situation in the South.
Now how would be a mystery all it's own.

Yes, it is. Racism is still very much alive in the 19th century Dominion, but it is more akin to the racism seen in Latin America and the Caribbean. This in fact is a partial result of closer contact with the Caribbean for the continental South, in part due to the end of slavery coming a full generation before OTL's version, the lesser independence of the South to really in-grain their 'Peculiar Institition' due to being part of the British Empire, the influence of the Loyalists from the North, as well as the theories developed by former Counsel Cheves in exile about evolution and thence their application to race. Now then, White Gold is told from the perspective of a Mulatto who is essentially 'passing' societally due to his father's service in the war and his wealth afterwards. 'Passing' in Dominion society is very different from how it was IOTL South. IOTL, 'passing' meant that you looked white and you kept as a very deep secret that you had black origins. If any word of those origins leaked out IOTL, it would socially destroy a person and make them 'black' in the eyes of society. Here, it is more of an open secret and a polite fiction - if you have the money and connections to make it work. If someone were to find out about black ancestry in one of their social peers, that wouldn't ruin the person (though note how he has to marry below his economic station - a marriage with the daughter of one of his actual economic peers of 'pure' white stock would be out of the question at this point in history), and to publicly make anything of it would be considered impolite, and if pushed might lead to a duel. This is not the hard racism of our timeline, but it is still racism of a sort. Note that in the novel, he definitely is making things sound better and easier for someone in his racial and social situation (at least in the opening - other trouble of course abounds) - and that was part of the fiction of Neo-Plantationism - "see, the negro would do the same as we given half the chance, and see, we give them the chance - not our fault so few can pull it off, and then usually only if they have some 'good' white blood to bring 'em up - there is also some titilation for genteel white women of the idea of intercourse with someone with a touch of 'dark' blood to them."

Great update, Glen
...And I'll catch up on the rest in due time.

Thanks! As you are able, of course.

Thank you, too!

And I particularly enjoy, how despite the fact that there is a kind of racism, there is also a kind of romanticism for the mixing of races and what it does to Southern culture.[/QUOTE]

See above for more details on this. But yes, there is some to it, though it is more of a titilation sort of thing at this point in history; just a bit naughty and 'dirty', as it were.

I might not be long before someone speculates that "the gap between races will be bridged in the DSA, after their split thousands of years ago". Or something like that.

Good thought, but not exactly - unless you think people have done that for OTL Hispanics...

Glen

Wow that is very different from OTL

Yes it is - then again, what would you expect over a 100 years after the POD?:rolleyes:

and I'm pretty sure that's not plausible if that plantation is typical.

Actually, the issue here is twofold, I believe - first, you are reading too much into what is in essence a work of fiction, one where the narrator is engaging in some hyperbole. The second issue is that the plantation in question, while not atypical per se, is on one end of a range of conditions on the plantations of the Dominion. If you will recall from our previous episodes, after the Slaver Uprising and the end of slavery, plantations where the planters had been on the worse end of the treatment spectrum (and often were the most vociferous supporters of the Confederation) often found their former slaves (and anyone else) unwilling to stay and work for them. They usually were in financial straits and had to sell out, usually to Loyalists or immigrating Brits. Some were able to restock with subcontinental Indian immigrants if they couldn't attract blacks back to the land. The blacks who left these plantations did a number of things - many ended up as workers or sharecroppers on other plantations with better reputations, some went west to scrape out their own farms, and some took up trades of various sorts, including work in the cities. This particular plantation in White Gold is one that fell on hard times after the Slaver Uprising, and has gone through at least a couple sets of hands, which is why there aren't that many blacks on this particular property (and in fact some are still around, but saved up enough to buy up parts of the old plantation and be free farmers). That's also why it was on the market and why the son of a former slave and trader was able to buy it (it was a bit of a deal). There are certainly other plantations like this, but there are also plenty of plantations (most in Loyalist family hands) that still have a substantial black workforce, though usually in a form of manorialism/sigeurial/sharecropper system. Those numbers too are starting to shift down as blacks of ambition seek other opportunities, and imported Indian labor is starting to make an impact in those areas as well, but much less so.

The DSA like every society of its era will be an agrarian one with over 75% living in rural areas. The Deep South at this time was 80% rural.
Now if the majority (51%) of blacks have left their former plantations (unlike OTL where most stayed as share croppers) you are talking about the movement of 2,000,000 people and the removal of half the labour force of the DSA main export industries. And if you've got every plantation "mostly" worked by Hindoo's then even with reduced manning we're talking about the import of at least 1,500,000 "Hindoo's" into the Deep South to replace them. That is migration on a massive scale. And would involve immense economic dislocation and enormous cost.

So the real numbers are probably at most half those (and that is an upper limit) - on the other hand, it is in fact a monumental shift in the demographics of the Dominion that is going on over the generations - again, I will note that it has been almost 40 years since this trend began. It will continue some, bolstered by Indians having children in the DSA (so not all have to be imported) and there is a degree of industrialization going on in the DSA, much more so than OTL South, to be sure, even if it is not in the league of the industrialization of the USA in the North or the British Isles.

Further more where are these 2,000,000 million former slaves going, assuming they are matching the 75% rural 25% urban split of the general population then the DSA has to be giving the the overwhelming majority of the land in the West to Blacks and if they are going to the cities then either the DSA is undergoing a China like industrial boom and urbanisation or a lot of blacks are going to be starving to death in the gutters.

See above. Actually, a large number of small farmers in the DSA are black, whether in the old South or in the West. Most whites in the DSA are not hardscrabble farmers, instead going into other trades or ranching (and guess who most of the ranch hands are). I think what you are underestimating is the fact of how many blacks have gone into small farming. And also the fact that the DSA no matter what else is and will remain as having a large black population, but with less cultural barriers to work they are showing up in all sorts of roles.

I would really recommend thinking about the numbers.

I shall, I shall - thank you for showing enough interest to speculate on some yourself!:)

excellent points

It shows a nice bit of extrapolation, doesn't it?

Perhaps those are Yankee Cities?

Actually they are Southern cities (just not as many going there as the fiction passage may make some believe) - Dominion blacks aren't really in high demand in the USA.

The OTL US population was 31,443,321 in 1860 (I assume that was the timeframe of the book extract).

More like late 1870s, 1860s would be too soon to see this level of change.

This TL's US probably has about 22,000,000 including Canada.

I would place it a bit higher, with a higher proportion of French descended.

In OTL the US had an urbanization rate of 25% in 1870 (source), so we can assume that the North which was more urbanised in OTL probably reaches that urbanisation rate in 1860. That means there are roughly 5 million urban citizens in TTL USA at this point.

Industrialization is a bit earlier and faster ITTL USA, but close enough for this discussion.

Now the influx of 2,000,0000 new urban citizens would be massively disruptive even in the unlikely event that the US lets them over the border.

Not that many and they are not going over the border really.

As for the DSA taking a population of 14 million (as opposed to 9 million in OTL)

Interesting population number, what is your thought there?

and putting many of those extra people in urban areas thus boosting the urbanisation rate from its OTL 15% to 20% the combined population of the DSA cities is still only 2 million.

Noted.

Now without Virgina there will be roughly 3,400,000 blacks still if 50.1% lave their plantations that is 1,600,001 people.

As mentioned, not nearly that number actually leave the land - what you do see happen is more of them having a siguerial relation with the planters rather than being straight up field hands, and a growing minority end up as small farmers in their own right.

The would still take up most of the good farmland in the West leaving little for DSA and British born whites who are realistically going to get priority,

Yes and no - whites in the DSA like owning land, but not working the land (except for the lower classes). So you will see more of the freeholds in the West in black hands. The ranches, the large spreads, on the other hand, will be in the hands of whites.

and even if you divided them between urban and rural areas with only half going west you and the rest going to urban areas then you are still talking about an influx that will overwhelm the jobs market.

See above - the numbers are nowhere near that dramatic. This is an evolution, not a revolution.

The number of Blacks coming off the land needs to come down dramatically.
That's before you even start on the financial implications of shipping over 1.6 million Indians.

Again, see above - the problem with your analysis as mentioned is that you overestimated the actual numbers based on an extrapolation of a romaticized story of one particular plantation on one end of a spectrum.

It could be that plantations in that area for some fluke of migration had mostly indian laborers, and not the entire DSA

See above for that explanation - it's not the area, but the type of plantation and owner history.

That would make much more sense. If you look at the West Indies some plantations fired all their share croppers and brought in Indians on contracts while most kept the share-croppers and didn't hire any Indians.

And this is much closer to the situation as it pertains in the DSA, except it usually wasn't firing as blacks choosing to leave, and the Indians being brought in over time to deal with that loss on some of the plantations, not all.

That suggests that the majority of negros have gone to the cities or the west.

Nope, just a fair number of the blacks on this plantation - and even that is a bit of an exageration on the part of the narrator.

Which frankly is ASB, as I hope I've shown above.

Now now, let's be nice! Again, you took a highly romanticized novel about one plantation and extrapolated that to an entire nation, with all the numbers in fact derived by you. You are right in claiming the numbers as you show are ASB - but you, my friend, provided those numbers, not I.

On the other hand, I am very flattered that you put all that time and effort into thinking about the logistics of this timeline. Based on the responses I have given you in return, what do you think are more realistic numbers to represent these trends in demographics in the DSA?

The reality is that while some will go to the cities or the West most will do what their OTL counter-parts in the Caribbean and Southern USA did which is work some the same land they used to but as share croppers.

Agreed.

The very worst masters will find themselves without a labour force

Read my mind! That is what happened to the original owners of that particular plantation.

and there will be a great deal of short term disruption but these are people who have limited skill sets,

The majority, yes, but there is a substantial minority with trade level skills on any plantation of size.

and the opportunities out west or in the cities are minimal.

I think there are more than you are giving the impression of here, but yes, they are not massive. But then again, as you say, the numbers who would actually be willing/able to take advantage of those opportunities are also smaller - overall I think they will balance out.

I suspect you'll find a similar division to OTL;
15% will leave, either to West or to urban areas.

I guess I should have kept reading!:eek: I would say this estimate is reasonable, though with regional variations. Also over time it will shift upwards, closer to 20%

25% will take up unclaimed marginal farmland in their local area or rent under-used land off whites.

Also reasonable, though again it will tend to go up over time, maybe hitting 30%.

60% will be share-croppers.

Actually, this number is a bit high. About 10% will remain simple field hands, lacking the initiative to even share-crop. There's probably also about 10% who will stay on plantations but take up a variety of roles, such as overseers, blacksmithing, drivers for the wagons and/or barges for cotton, and of course servants for the big house. These will stay on the plantation but for room, board, and a wage rather than a crop.

Now then, you've got split those who are renting land to farm as opposed to those who are sharecropping. I would lump them together - so I would say overall you still have 60%, maybe more, working land owned by whites, but with differinig relations.

Incidentally post the Civil War plantation owners found they needed less share-croppers than slaves as share-croppers worked harder so they were able to keep production up with only 75% of their previous workforce (the amount of land under cotton went down post war as marginal land was no longer viable in the absence of slavery).

Which is good for the DSA immediately post Slaver Uprising, but unlike OTL, the demand for Southern Cotton will not be diminished by cotton from Egypt and India, but will in fact increase, so more land, even marginal land, will be put into cotton production over time. That will continue driving the importation and 'employment' of subcontinental Indians.

While I agree that expecting the black belt to be emptied by 1870 ITTL is pretty unlikely, I would expect the overall rural black population is lower than IOTL for two reasons.

1. The position of blacks economically is marginally better than the south IOTL, and far better politically. Thus we should expect it's easier for them to migrate.

Easier yes, but they also have more opportunities in situ than OTL, as well as a North that is a whole different country and thus isn't necessarily going to welcome them.

2. The openness of the west (and, I think Australia) to black settlers is unlike anything IOTL, where ethnic cleansing in the north set in only a few decades following emancipation.

True, but then again, the West that the DSA controls isn't as large or as fertile as the West available to the OTL USA (or TTL's USA for that matter).

Counterbalanced, however, is despite the DSA being a bit more urban and industrialized than the South IOTL, it's still not very urban or industrialized at all yet.

True as far as it goes - have to get some more updates about industrialization out....

And there are more immigrants coming in to the DSA than the southern states got from Europe, so it's hard to see the black draw to the cities being all that much greater than IOTL...yet. In another 50 years, it may be another story.

More from the Briitsh Isles, yes, more from Europe, no - those tend to go to the USA.

Last edited:

Glen

I would think a fair number would be migrating north,

Not really - the USA is a bit too white, too cold, too alien for most law abiding black Southerners. Now then, having said that, of course there is some migration.

certainly not 2,000,000, but there would be demand in northern cities for workers, and they are certainly closer then Europe, especially if less Europeans are immigrating then in OTL.

This is a fairly true point (plus minus on the European immigration, though) - I don't think we see migration like OTL, but what does come it will be more likely to go to the cities, I suppose.

I suspect race relations in the North would be better as well then OTL, there's no civil war to poisin the relationship between the black communities and immigrants. Moreover it sounds like the US in TTL is all around a bit better place to live.

Yes and no - as long as the numbers of blacks in the USA remain small they will be seen as exotic and interesting, but if they get too numerous they would be seen as alien and threatening - the Americans of this timeline have increasingly less experience of what it is like to live side by side with Americans of African descent.

I think Glen has said that overall social and economic conditions for blacks in the DSA and the USA are pretty similar, to the point that there is no pressing political reason for a diaspora of blacks to flee northward.

There is little point for a black diaspora north at this point in history, correct.

That said, there will be more economic opportunity in the cities in the USA than the DSA for some time. There will simply be more jobs in the factories, mines, and lumber yards of the North than the DSA will have for several generations. Due to the comparable lack of language issues, I'd expect that a lot of Northern employers would prefer black DSAers to non-anglophone migrants as well. Balanced against the USA being somewhat culturally alien, I think a 50/50 split for urban migration is reasonable.

Sorry you lost me there, 50/50 split how?

In a way, this might really save the black population in the USA. One of my concerns in the longer term is blacks outside of Virginia are so thin on the ground in this USA that OTL's color line is probably never really established. Thus the likely fate of most blacks in the cities and on the frontier would be the tendency of their acculturated children and grandchildren to vanish into the white population, who would generally not have major issue with miscegenation. If DSA migrants boosted the black population somewhat higher, however, blacks would become numerous enough to seem a threat, particularly in urban areas, which would probably stabilize the ethnicity.

Yes, that would be true - on the other hand, you might actually see some US blacks choose to migrate to the Dominion where there really is a vibrant black culture.

I mean the Irish are still semi-recognizable in OTL Boston (at least the socio-cultural/general phenotype), so I would think Blacks could survive as a distinct culture there considering they have more to differentiate themselves, at least until there's more African immigration in the 20th century (which admittedly might be more oriented towards the DSA.) This USA is gonna be weird, probably still a super power, but with a very different socio/cultural political matrix. Probably more liberal though. The DSA can keep it's conservatism.

You make some reasonable points here - I think you will still see a black American population but the lines will be blurred and easier for people to step in and out of that world and the greater American world at large.

Glen

1880 saw the entry of two additional states to the Union.

The first state was the second to be named after a US president, the State of Adams. Niobrara and Colorado framed the southern and eastern borders of the state. The northern border continued along the Niobrara river to its origin, then followe a course due west to the Northern Platte River to its origin,then a straight line due west to the Green River which comprised the entirety of the state's western border.

The other state granted admission to the Union in 1880 was the State of Lakota. Named after a prominant (and obstinant) native tribe of the area, Lakota's eastern border was the Missouri River to where it turned north forming part of its northern border along with the entry of the Little Missouri River which then turned south to make up the upper half of the state's western border to its origin, and thne a straight line due south to the Northern Platte River.

DSA USA 1880.png

White Gold made me think - what are the possibilities of some sort of anthology of DSA related stories once this TL comes to a close? I's certainly buy/support/contribute to one if there was plans for one :D

I love your continued use of rivers to create states with incredibly complex-but-logical borders. What would the population of those states be in 1880? I'd think they both barely met the requirement and won't grow much over the next century...

Glen

You're got a sentence in one of the posts above. And also the fact that the DSA no matter what else is and will remain predominantly black I can't see this being the case as the south was always predominantly white and TTL will see more immigration from Britain. True more black population will be added by the Caribbean provinces but I doubt they would tip the balance enough to make the blacks a majority.

Or were you talking about numbers involved in agriculture? Even here I would be doubtful but it might be close to that case.

Steve

Glen

Glen

You're got a sentence in one of the posts above. And also the fact that the DSA no matter what else is and will remain predominantly black I can't see this being the case as the south was always predominantly white and TTL will see more immigration from Britain. True more black population will be added by the Caribbean provinces but I doubt they would tip the balance enough to make the blacks a majority.

Or were you talking about numbers involved in agriculture? Even here I would be doubtful but it might be close to that case.

Steve

Darn, I thought I deleted that sentence - after I wrote it I realized it was just plain wrong - you are correct that people of African descent in the Dominion are a minority, just a very large minority.

It's a screw-up.