Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

The Confederationist Flag of East Florida took the rather interesting approach of taking the new Confederation of Southern America flag and fusing it with the old Cross of Burgandy that had flown over Florida in the Spanish era to create their banner.

Confederationist East Florida Flag.png

scholar

Banned
I wonder how many people will think that the State of Jacques is named after Jean-Jacques Rousseau? If I remember correctly the river was originally named after a Saint, but Rousseau fits better than the Saint.

Glen

Actually if the population is roughly equal to OTL's Vancouver Island would have a population of roughly 760,000 people. That is just about the population of South Dakota. Making it larger than Wyoming, Vermont, North Dakota, and Alaska. And without Southern California within the US in TTL there is a chance that the population of the Pacific Coast is slightly larger in the area around what is McKenzie and Grey Island in TTL (it will certainly have a larger population than Jacques and perhaps Gitchigumee in the long run).

Larger, yes, but larger when is the question.

Glen

Yes, but in the 120-odd years since SD became a state OTL its population has barely doubled from the 350,000-odd it had at the time (if my source is to be believed). By comparison, Vancouver Island's population has boomed. The same source I am using states the entirety of British Columbia to have a population of 92,700 in 1891, at about the same time it says SD is at 348,000. There would need to be a monumental swing from OTL population figures for Vancouver to be at SD's population rather than OTL BC's, and Glen has instead only remarked that its population is "a bit higher" or words to that effect.

Well, its a bit more of a population than that, but not dramatic population.

Well, there are probably cities where Souix Falls, Pierre, and Bismarck were OTL, though the names may be different. Does that help?

Quite a bit actually... that makes up a good chunk of what we would know as the populated part of the Dakotas... what does that mean for the western part of the Dakotas? Perhaps a Lakota majority state of some sort?

The founder of Korsgaardism strikes again :D

Any hints at what this city will be named/called?

It almost has to be Paducah. I see it going this way, and Glen correct me if I'm wrong. The details are yours alone, of course:

Not long after the POD a thriving community emerged at the confluence of the Tennessee and Ohio rivers on the Mississippi, a town called Pekin, as in OTL. Originally made up of natives and settlers alike, the town receives an influx of U.S. friendly Southern settlers after the revolution and, as a western settlement bordering the South and on a major trade river, receives an influx of Northern troops and in a short time, a naval base.

Now, the name can remain Pekin if you like, but I'd prefer anything but Paducah (my father is from there and I always hated the name).

Being in an even more critical location militarily TTL, I could see Fort Massac being repopulated (and renamed) and expanded, resulting in twin military base cities with ideal trade locations while also serving as a springboard to the west and a vital stop on Southern slaves' route to the north.

Following the Slaver uprising, I can see Southern expats once again settling in and around this area as well, leading initially to tensions with the high free black population but eventually resulting in a diverse cultural blend akin to OTL's Memphis.

As two culturally diverse port cities, one downriver from the other, I can see New London and this unnamed Twin City urban area becoming sister cities during times of good feeling between North and South...

Am I far offbase?

Glen

Will there be an American equivelent of Memphis in TTL Kentucky, or will we just see a super St. Louis or more important Cape Girardeau?

St. Louis is definitely even more important (and big) ITTL than in our own.

Hmm, Cape Girardeau, what an interesting thought....:rolleyes:

Glen

The Industrial Age initially ran on iron. For many uses iron was adequate, but for the burgeoning dreams of the 19th century, only steel would do. However, steel was difficulty to produce, and the quantities produced easily outstripped demand by the 1840s, spurring a race for a means to mass produce steel.

One of the first successes in steel production was achieved by young immigrant and inventor William 'Steel Bill' Hauxwell. He grew up in Yorkshire and migrated to the United States as a teen in the 1830s, wanting to avoid the troubles in British Southern America. He settled in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania a hotbed of ironworking. He was a self-made man, who came up with the idea of bubbling air from underneath molten iron to keep down fuel costs, but in the process found the process produced a goodly quantity of steel. The Hauxwell Process became the pre-eminent method of creating steal during the 1840s.
Bessemer_converter.jpg

Glen

Paducah would be ideal for this. Actually, with the exception of the time it was known as the Atomic City, its status as a smaller city has always perplexed me. Right where two major rivers meet, surrounded by agriculture AND industry, etc.

It does seem somewhat perplexing - poor name perhaps?

Maybe if Paducah and Metropolis become Twin Cities ITTL they could spring up and at least equal St. Louis. Paducah's importance as a border town right on the Mississippi and Ohio rivers would inevitably lead to this, IMHO.

Ah, Metropolis? Such a cosmopolitan name...

And of course, there's Ft. Massac. I would love to hear Glen's thoughts on how Little Egypt is developing ITTL. It's got to be much bigger as well as being far more strategic TTL.

Ft. Massac actually develops relatatively the same - it's close, but not close enough, to the border to be a major outpost.

AND NEW LONDON! I would of course prefer New Dublin, or even New Liverpool, but I still have to say I approve big time. I can't wait to see how Midtown hipsters turn out living in a city with a grandiose name like that. Maybe instead of the Pyramid, a Big Ben replica housed our sporting events and concerts?

That would be funny! Of course, Big Ben is likely to have been butterflied away....

I see New London probably being even more musically vital than Memphis is OTL. Am I far off?

I don't think you are far off.:cool:

Glen

I wonder how many people will think that the State of Jacques is named after Jean-Jacques Rousseau? If I remember correctly the river was originally named after a Saint, but Rousseau fits better than the Saint.

That's funny! I could see it get started as folk etymology, and be a 'common misconception' in the USA!!

Glen

The Confederationist flag of West Florida, while inspired by the earlier flag developed by East Florida, took a more traditional approach. A simple quartered field superimposing the Confederation of Southern America flag and the old Cross of Burgundy.

Confederationist West Florida Flag.png

Glen

Quite a bit actually... that makes up a good chunk of what we would know as the populated part of the Dakotas... what does that mean for the western part of the Dakotas? Perhaps a Lakota majority state of some sort?

Yes. Despite Jacques being somewhat oddly shaped, it makes for a pretty good state in terms of similar terrain and issues. The other side of the Missouri really is a whole new world.

First probably means a delay in statehood for that section of the USA. A Lakota majority depends on how they react to the USA love it or leave it (to Hudson Territory) policy. IF they agree to assimilate and become US taxpaying citizens, then they will make up a good chunk initially. If they do not want to be assimilated, and insist on being a separate nation, they will have to fight (and lose, let's face it) or move north.

Yes, this USA is a bit like the Borg....:eek:

Yes. Despite Jacques being somewhat oddly shaped, it makes for a pretty good state in terms of similar terrain and issues. The other side of the Missouri really is a whole new world.

First probably means a delay in statehood for that section of the USA. A Lakota majority depends on how they react to the USA love it or leave it (to Hudson Territory) policy. IF they agree to assimilate and become US taxpaying citizens, then they will make up a good chunk initially. If they do not want to be assimilated, and insist on being a separate nation, they will have to fight (and lose, let's face it) or move north.

Yes, this USA is a bit like the Borg....:eek:

The Lakota always struck me as one of the tribes more sympathetic to assmiliation. Of course, who can tell?

Yes, a Borg of racially-tolerent freedom lovers :p

Glen

It almost has to be Paducah. I see it going this way, and Glen correct me if I'm wrong. The details are yours alone, of course:

Not long after the POD a thriving community emerged at the confluence of the Tennessee and Ohio rivers on the Mississippi, a town called Pekin, as in OTL. Originally made up of natives and settlers alike, the town receives an influx of U.S. friendly Southern settlers after the revolution and, as a western settlement bordering the South and on a major trade river, receives an influx of Northern troops and in a short time, a naval base.

Now, the name can remain Pekin if you like, but I'd prefer anything but Paducah (my father is from there and I always hated the name).

Pekin seems fun - anyone know how it would be pronounced?

Being in an even more critical location militarily TTL, I could see Fort Massac being repopulated (and renamed) and expanded, resulting in twin military base cities with ideal trade locations while also serving as a springboard to the west and a vital stop on Southern slaves' route to the north.

It's a bit back from the border for that, I suspect.

Following the Slaver uprising, I can see Southern expats once again settling in and around this area as well, leading initially to tensions with the high free black population but eventually resulting in a diverse cultural blend akin to OTL's Memphis.

Where are you talking about, the site of OTL Paducah?

As two culturally diverse port cities, one downriver from the other, I can see New London and this unnamed Twin City urban area becoming sister cities during times of good feeling between North and South...

Maybe....

Am I far offbase?

Time will tell how it really is, but your thoughts are pretty solid I think.

Glen

Empress Elizabeth II of the British Empire, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, it was initially feared, might follow in the footsteps of her illustrious namesake, Elizabeth I, as an unmarried monarch. The names of suitors from the Empires of Scandinavia and Germany were the lead contenders as having appropriate ranking scions of the Protestant faith. A dark horse candidate was a younger member of the French Royal Family (presumably if willing to convert). However, in quick succession the Queen-Empress refused all matches. She was a strong willed, vivacious woman, perhaps best loved from afar, some said. Her advocacy for increasing women's rights in the British Empire and rather liberal views on arts, dress, and religion, was seen as detriments to potential matches.

However, the Empress had other plans for her future. She met and fell in love with the handsome young Scottish 13th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghome, Thomas Lyon-Bowes. Initially, her wish to marry was opposed by Parliament and the Archbishop of Canterbury. However, with the election of a new majority Liberal government in 1864 coupled with the death of the previous Archbishop and the Elizabeth's appointment of a more sympathetic occupant to the post, Elizabeth and her allies pushed through both temporal and secular approval of her love match, and for the first time since 1515, a British Subject married into the the direct line of the Sovereign. While Thomas was only recognized as Consort to the Empress, their children would have full rights of inheritance to the British throne.
the-marriage-of-victoria-the-princess-royal.jpg