Duck and Cover! An American Spinoff of Protect and Survive.

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
It would seem that any attempt at re-establishing effective government will have to include inspiring confidence in a currency then.

The desire for continuity would probably put an emphasis on retaining the Dollar (For Americans, at any rate). However a revaluation would seem essential.

Food is the new Gold. The new 'Gold Standard' might well be a Calorific Value, if the 'State' can secure adequate reserves.

Labour or Services could be recompensed in currency tied to a given exchange rate, enabling the 'State' to exercise its' authority and perform functions.

Of course, like any currency, that will depend on people having confidence in the 'States' ability to honour its' notes.

Falkenburg

We talk here about the few less affected regions. Round the Ground Zeros, you take what you can get, resp. it is taken from you. But you are probably dead anyways.

Well, yes, I am pretty sure, that a bank in Montevideo will give an US-american tourist only a wry smile for his dollars, should he try to exchange them. But people in Cleveland don't realize that directly. Actually, I am afraid that imagining that only 10% of Americans might have survived is easier to most people than to grasp the idea that the US Dollar and the USA in general might just not be very much in existence at the moment.

I imagine, the problem is rather the irrational spread of cash-wealth. As the financial infrastructure will be a shambles even in a place like Cleveland, you can only go as far as the cash you had your hands on carries you. If you loot dollar bills somewhere, you are suddenly better off. But it is very hard, if not impossible, to turn other financial assets into cash. This even means your bank account, as the bank will soon run out of bills. Then, scarcity will lead to inflation, as every vendor of goods will assume that his good is worth a lot more than it used to be (rightly so). Once the inflation goes too far to be covered with the existing dollar bills, that is when barter comes into play. And, you are right, that can happen quite fast.

But barter is terribly ineffective, and given the circumstances, might just as well involve a gun. Thus, most probably, less hard-hit regions will issue "emergency-money". Such measures had been enacted by most German communities in the years after WW 1 when our financial economy was completely out of control.

The use of some sort of currency might after a few months or even for years be a clear indicator to anybody how safe the region you come through generally is.

I mentionned the currency issue if P&S as well and what I feel would be the best option for any surviving government in Britain, or anywhere else in the world for that matter. I to go back to the gold standard or to a currency whose value is backed by something tangible, gold is a good choice in the P&S world but silver, copper or any other metal could be an option as well.

For the US the problem is that the country is so large that a single currency is difficult to maintain following the complete breakdown of the economy.There is also the fact that the safe regions don't form a continous belt but are scattered.One thing I'd like to see is a spinoff of this timeline involving the other side not necessarily the soviets but someone like the poles or hungarians or maybe a spinoff involving a neutral that got hit for whatever reason like Israel .So far all the spinoffs are of the West the other side we know next to nothing.:confused:Anyone up to the challenge?

Economic activity in safe areas will have to be in terms of bartering, price freezing and command economy to ensure it doesn't completely collapse.

The (formal or informal) structure as in the case of Nebraska will be very useful in the short term, while there are no reliable communications across the US, and serve as aggregators of state authority and start coalescing back into state level (or multistate level, in the lucky cases where sufficient structures in the state government hierarchies survived).

For the US the problem is that the country is so large that a single currency is difficult to maintain following the complete breakdown of the economy.There is also the fact that the safe regions don't form a continous belt but are scattered.One thing I'd like to see is a spinoff of this timeline involving the other side not necessarily the soviets but someone like the poles or hungarians or maybe a spinoff involving a neutral that got hit for whatever reason like Israel .So far all the spinoffs are of the West the other side we know next to nothing.:confused:Anyone up to the challenge?

I'd do it but I don't have enough definite knowledge of Soviet/Chinese/Communist society, and anyway we need to know what the USSR's civil defense program was called. ;)

EDIT: An interesting article regarding US concerns about the Soviet's survival plans.

Last edited:
The Rabbit and the Coyote

Part III: The Sounds of Silence

Armageddon + 72hr

The Rabbit and the Coyote [1]:

The Ice Cream truck lumbered its way up and down the highway. The Singer was driving, and the Ice-Cream man was sitting in the passenger seat. Their wheezing, coughing, and now rusting van was the only car on the road. The metallic husks this far from the City were empty and their occupants had long since wandered on. “Could you pull up next to them?” he asked. The Ice-cream pointed his stubby finger at a group of stragglers. “Sure” the Singer said a bit bemused “but don’t take too long.”

She pulled the car next to the trudging pedestrians. The few kids in the group broke into pleading smiles. The Ice-Cream man pulled open the window on the side. “Now what would you like?” he asked, pointing to the smallest child. The girl was far too young to understand the fierce new world around her. The girl broke into gap-toothed grin. “That one!” she whispered with delight. The Ice Cream man fumbled behind the window and produced the exact frozen treat: a pink Popsicle far too large for the tiny hand now clutching it. She scampered back to her parents who were standing aloof to the whole spectacle.

The same scene was repeated half a dozen times. The determined whisper of “That one!” was followed by fumbling and with a flourish, the exact ice-cream the child wanted. One of the parents, the first child’s mother, gingerly walked up. “What do you want for…well you know.” The Ice-cream man kept on grinning. “Nothing lady but for you to promise to take care of the girl, those children are our future you know.” They drove off leaving the blissfully waving children behind. The Singer was still wondering why she had stuck to with a man nearly twice her age, and so full of contradictions.

They had been sitting in the freezer for hours now. Though they were of vastly different ages, the Singer had found the Ice-cream man easy to talk to. "Now that you know my story what’s yours?” the Singer said. The Ice-cream man gave her a quizzical look. “Well why did you get started doing…well, you know…” she trailed off. “An Ice cream truck” he had answered and after a pause he continued.

“Before the War I was going to be a teacher, I always liked kids and I had worked hard at school. My parents were proud of me. I was going to be the first person in my family to go to college and get a real job. My dad worked the night shift at the local power plant, and my mother worked two jobs to keep me and my siblings in clothes. Then I was drafted. Due to some loop-hole I was still going to go to the War, and there was nothing to do about it. Basic wasn’t that hard or long, and I was soon assigned to a unit. A ‘recon platoon.’ Our job was simple. We were to stumble into the enemy and draw fire, on which we were to call in artillery and aircraft. Afterward, the rest of the unit would find us and we would hold off the enemy until they were all dead. Though it rarely worked like that…”

*The platoon had been marching down the dusty trail for hours. His feet were blistering and he was sweating. Every few seconds he had to slap a bug which landed on his neck. The dry season here was hot, and his helmet kept slipping onto his face. Adjust, slap, adjust, slap. He had never been in the woods before basic and the whole jungle thing scared the hee be jesus out of him. At every cracking branch in the forest he would freak-out. Throwing himself to the ground. Behind some cover. Soon, the guys were playing tricks on him. One of the Sergeants laughed “Look at the scared little bunny.” The name stuck.

The light was fading quickly as the platoon trudged on into the night. Just as twilight turned the sky purple the jungle lit up with gunfire. “AMBUSH!” someone shouted. Bunny dove behind a felled tree. A second later Zulu, his squad’s radioman, fell behind the rotting log. The battle raged. Bunny was firing. Zulu was firing. At what they weren’t certain. Light was fading fast. Flares flew above both sides. They came rushing out of the trees. Bunny reached to reload…

He was grappling with one of the enemy. Both were shouting and screaming, though they couldn’t hear each other over the noise of the artillery Zulu was calling in. Charlie somehow got behind him. Bunny grabbed the hand with the machete and bit. Down past the flesh and into the bone. The hand dropped the machete; Bunny picked it up and began to hack at the figure below him. Screams erupted from the mangled man’s lips. The enemy threw his hand up. Bunny was swinging down. Fingers fell into the dirt. The enemy stopped fighting, and the pleading look in his eyes told Bunny to kill him. Bunny dropped the machete with the whimpering enemy. He crawled away in shame.

After the battle no one called him Bunny, Rabbit was enough, he’d earned it.

“After the war I had flashbacks, and I got in some trouble with the law because of them. After a stint in the mental hospital, they plagued me less, the PTSD, but no one wanted to hire a crazy man. I couldn’t go back to college and I couldn’t get a job. Eventually someone down at the VA hospital got me the Ice-cream truck and I’ve been working for myself ever since.” Rabbit looked up. “It’s almost penance making the kids happy, makes me happy to know that there is, was, some happiness in the world.” The Singer was staring at him. She was crying, “I’m so sorry.” He looked at her funny. “You were having a flashback, it lasted nearly an hour. And you didn’t know.”

But that was back in the freezer. The Singer looked over at Rabbit. He looked over from the driver's seet and smiled. He’d proven a kind and gentle man, but from the flashback she knew a killer lurked somewhere in there. The way he’d grabbed the butcher’s knife getting back into the truck two days ago seemed too natural. But, he’d kept her safe for these days, why couldn’t he keep her safe longer. As the sun set she smiled, she was safe. And for the first time in days she slept.

In the dark the truck passed a sign. The headlights illuminated their messages. "THANK YOU FOR VISITING CALIFORNIA!" said one, and the other "WELCOME TO NEVADA"

Last edited:
Speaking as a person from the region, there are massive belts of corn and wheat surrounding Cleveland. Unfortunately, fallout is going to damage the present crop severely and impact how much can be grown in the following years. If officials try to maintain the level of food produced pre-war, they run the risk of overfarming the land and recreating the Dust Bowl with radioactive soil.

Hm. Didn't the strikes occur in February? Most of the truly nasty fallout would've radiated itself out by planting time, I'd think.

I mentionned the currency issue if P&S as well and what I feel would be the best option for any surviving government in Britain, or anywhere else in the world for that matter. I to go back to the gold standard or to a currency whose value is backed by something tangible, gold is a good choice in the P&S world but silver, copper or any other metal could be an option as well.

The huge deflation of the whole economy as well as property and population might faciliate that step if someone can convince the people that the gold is actualy still there.

Hm. Didn't the strikes occur in February? Most of the truly nasty fallout would've radiated itself out by planting time, I'd think.

Yes, most of the fallout will be at "livable" levels by planting season, its surviving until harvest season that will be the problem...

The huge deflation of the whole economy as well as property and population might faciliate that step if someone can convince the people that the gold is actualy still there.

Simple, real gold will be found in jewelry shops and government facilities, especially fed reserve banks. Backing a new currency against gold will take time. But yes, the greenback is dead. Perhaps I can cover currency in the next FEMA report.

Question:

Which would y'all prefer:

More detailed personal stories like the last two

Or

More overview with FEMA report followed by short 2 paragraph stories following each character.

(I'm leaning toward the later)

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
Go with your flow.

This. :D

For myself I like the personal vignettes but there's a place for overviews and strategic plans.
When it comes down to it, you should write what you feel.

If the former appeals to you, go for it.
If the latter whets your appetite, go for that.

I for one will happily read whatever comes (for a strange definition of 'Happily').

Falkenburg

A useful list for stories set in the Protect and Survive universe:):

Presidential line of sucession of the 1st Reagan Cabinet (around the late half of 1983 and early 1984):
[Office ]: [Name ]([Term]);
President : Ronald Reagan (1981–1989);
Vice President : George H.W. Bush (1981–1989);
Speaker of the House : Thomas Phillip "Tip" O'Neill, Jr. (1977–1987);
President pro tempore of the Senate : James Strom Thurmond (1981–1987);
Secretary of State : Alexander Haig (1981–1982);
Secretary of Treasury : Donald Regan (1981–1985);
Secretary of Defense : Caspar Weinberger (1981–1987);
Attorney General : William F. Smith (1981–1985);
Secretary of the Interior : James G. Watt (1981–November 8, 1983) / William P. Clark, Jr. (November 18, 1983–1985);
Secretary of Agriculture : John Rusling Block (1981–1986);
Secretary of Commerce : Howard M. Baldrige, Jr. (1981–1987);
Secretary of Labor : Raymond J. Donovan (1981–1985);
Secretary of Health and Human Services : Margaret Heckler (1983–1985);
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development : Samuel R. Pierce, Jr. (1981–1989);
Secretary of Transportation : Elizabeth Hanford Dole (1983–1987);
Secretary of Energy : Donald Paul Hodel (1982–1985);
Secretary of Education : Terrel Bell (1981–1984).

Hope it helps.:)

Last edited:
Which would y'all prefer:

More detailed personal stories like the last two

Or

More overview with FEMA report followed by short 2 paragraph stories following each character.

(I'm leaning toward the later)
I prefer the FEMA reports, but like Falkenburg and modelcitizen said, you should follow the way you like it more:).

I'd be happy to provide bits of info on Civil Air Patrol and similar stuff like I'm doing for Land of Flatwater. (CAP's radios would likely be received as well as MARS, at least where they are working. (Would any American Red Cross radio networks be monitored by FEMA? How about the Salvation Army's SATERN network?))

The Stars at Night [1]:

Part III: The Sounds of Silence

Armageddon + 72hr

The Stars at Night [1]:

From The Foundation of The Republic of the Brazos: Life in early Aggieland by James Owen, published 2011 King Press, New Washington.

Within hours of lockdown ending at Texas A&M University, the riots happened. With few grievances, the most common and most legitimate being newly introduced rationing of food and fuel, the riots were mostly brought about by lots of scared and sad 20 something year olds with nothing to do, and no homes to go to. To call these protests riots was a great exaggeration, the total damage amounted to a few broken windows and bones. However, the “riots” did outline a growing problem, what to do with the large population of young and bored college students.

The Cadet sat down on his bunk of his dorm. He hadn’t slept for nearly three days, and was looking forward to a few hours of sleep after breaking up some unruly students at one of the dining halls. The students had broken a few windows, and spray painted on the outside walls some vulgar slogans to the effect of “down with the police state” and “come on man I paid for unlimited lunch.” However these acts of vandalism were growing more frequent and there were rumors about not only initiating a night-time curfew, but entering a new lockdown period as well. The Cadet dismissed those rumors as rumors but their lack of sleep was causing some Cadets to act funky. The Cadet’s roommate had spent all day yesterday trying to convince the Cadet that he had seen fairies and unicorns. Coffee was in high demand and low supply, so some cadets had begun to chew tobacco to stay awake. After all that the Cadet was happy to get some “mandatory resting period” in his schedule. Midnight was fast approaching and the sheets on his bed had never felt more comfortable…

“Get up! The President wants to see you.” The Squad leader barked, standing at the foot of the Cadet’s bed. Two thoughts rushed through his head. The first was, Ronald Reagan? Here? Followed by: why me? The Squad leader chuckled “you’re not dreaming kid. No, Ronald Reagan is not here, and I don’t know why the President of the University would want to see you.” The Cadet sheepishly looked up, he had thought aloud. Puzzled and intrigued, and with only 5 minutes of sleep he was out the door following briskly behind the Squad Leader through the Campus, into the Admin building, and up flights of stairs and into a waiting room. “I was told to leave you here,” the Squad Leader said walking away, “good luck kid.”

The Cadet flopped into one of the couches against the wall in the room. An empty secretary’s desk sat next to a large wooden door, which must lead into the President’s room. After waiting a few minutes with no one telling him whether to stay of go, the Cadet pulled open the door and walked into what could only be called a war room.

Maps, charts, and various papers were splayed across any flat surface available. Affixed to a wall on the left side of the room was a map of Texas with red pins stuck in various spots across the states. Red pins were fastened on Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Waco, Brownsville, Fort Hood, and too many other areas to name quickly. However the farthest west regions of the state were marked with white pins. Possible hits not confirmed yet. Sitting at a table was the President, the Commandant of the Corps, and two other people he didn’t recognize. One was wearing a BDU and the other was wearing a business suit. All three of them looked haggard, and tired. Apparently the Cadet wasn’t the only one who hadn’t slept the past three days.

The one in the BDU was speaking. “Well our flights have proven to be useful in some regard.” He was pointing on something laying flat on the table. “San Antonio, Houston and Austin are confirmed hits, as are Waco and Fort Hood. Dallas and Fort Worth are confirmed, but Midland and Odessa are still up in the air. The flights should return sometime tomorrow. We’ll survey other parts of the state later, but fuel is running low and we’re putting a halt on these survey flights for now. I don’t have much else to say.” The room was quiet for a second. The President spoke “Thank you Colonel, your boys and the CAP have done so much in so little time.” The CAP Colonel mumbled a thank you.

The Businessman spoke up. “I have gotten some good news today though I don’t know how much of an impact it can make. I’ve talked with the food pantry in Bryan, and they said that they would be willing to set up a food distribution system, with their help, the staff in the cafeterias, and volunteers we might be able last until harvest time, though that is just a guess for now.” He looked at the Commandant. “Frankly the food situation will be grim at best. If we can find enough food to plant, If we can mobilize the manpower to farm it, If we can keep people under control, If we can find a place to plant, If we can keep the medicine and doctors together, If…” his voice trailed off. “There are an awful lot of ifs.” After his speech everyone was silent. That they knew less about their next meal, then the cities destroyed by nuclear fire was unsettling.

Someone walked in behind the Cadet and knocked on the open door. The President and the men in the room finally seemed to notice him. “Come in” the President said wearily “it has been a long three days for all of us hasn’t it?”

The Cadet looked up and nodded. The person behind him spoke up. “You wanted to see me, sir?” The Cadet turned around. There was another cadet standing behind him, and from the special insignia on his shoulder the cadet was one of “Rudder’s Rangers” one of the students training to one day join one of the Special Forces units. The President nodded, deep down he was a teacher, and like all teachers he did like to give lectures from time to time. “Boys can you sit down?” The Cadet pulled a chair off the wall and gingerly sat down. The Ranger remained standing. The President looked at him puzzled. “I’m sorry sir, but I’m going to fall asleep if I sit.” The President smiled “yes it would be polite to stay awake for one more lesson wouldn’t it?” He chuckled, took a breath, and continued. “Son, you’re from Waco?” The Cadet nodded as did the Ranger.

“Well as you heard earlier, we sent out flights to survey the damage the Russians dealt and damage has been wrought. Most major cities in the state are destroyed as are most military facilities. There appears to be no government above the county level and Bryan seems to be the largest city in the state still standing. But, there are still people out there, in the small towns, the suburbs and on their farms. They are alone and afraid. We will try to reach some of them. However, we have some problems of our own. The students are growing restless and we just don’t have the force to contain them. If they get out of hand we will lose the college, the city and thus any hope of rebuilding from the ashes. He paused. So the men in this room and I have come up with a plan. Scout teams of military will spread out across the Brazos Valley. The students will be offered a chance to start a new life in another town, where they will help plant and harvest, and join their new communities with some skill or another. We will give the students somewhere to go and something productive to do, as well as help these communities survive the coming months. It is a win-win situation if all goes well.

You boys will fit in by leading a scout team to the outskirts of Waco. You’ve both been handpicked for this assignment. Being from the area you should be able to help get the people acclimated to the idea of accepting our students. As fuel is in high demand and is extremely precious, you will have to travel by horse. Which compared to the settlers who will travel by foot, you will be the lucky few.”

The President looked up beaming. The Cadet was thinking, the plan did have its flaws, but it seemed the best idea, get the kids out and the food in. It would all work well in the end. He smiled. He never expected to be a post-apocalyptic cowboy had he. But here he was metaphorically about to ride into the new wild west. God the world had gone strange.

*The Convert looked around the room which was abuzz with excitement. The Preacher was going to make a speech. He’d be fasting and praying for three days and this was the first time anyone had seen him. The Preacher came on to the pulpit smiling. “Children,” he beamed “I have spoken to God and he has left me with a message…”

They better pray a Soviet sub doesn't find the Nimitz before it can reach a surviving port...

1. Why would the Nevada state government move to a settlement in New Mexico?
2. What happened to Los Vegas?
3. Los Alamos (which contains a major US federal government research facility) survived?!

For the record, there is a Las Vegas in New Mexico as well. It's not a terribly large town (about 15,000). In a closely-drawn coincidence, it happens to be where they filmed much of Red Dawn.

Last edited:
I meant in Texas, sorry about insulting you. I'm not an Aggie, but I think the Corps is kind of important as a stabilizing factor.

Heh, I was just being silly - no offense taken. (Though the notion of only Aggies surviving the war, with the addition of them being Cadets, would be enough to drive better men than I to suicide.) ;)