Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Prussia-Polish Kongo and French Tanzania... Why do I get the feeling the African colinization has yet to even TOUCH some of the zaniest colonies yet?

Glen

Africa's peace ends.
With German, Spanish, and French interests in africa growing, will Great Britain be very aggressive and set out to conquer areas around these port sites to stunt their expansion, or would Great Britain gawk at the colonies and begin securing Capetown, the West African Ports, etc?

A very good question!

Glen

London_news_c1877_-_scanned_constantinopole%281996%29-Opening_of_the_first_parlement.png
The efforts of Muhammad Ali placed the Ottoman Empire on the road to recovery and resurgence after the disasters of the Balkans such as the Serb Uprising and the Hellene War of Independence. Vizier Ali's successors continued his efforts to modernize the Ottoman Empire. A stream of reformers who had been fostered by Ali's tenure continued to bring changes to the Empire, emulating the reforms going on in Europe and even the Americas. Included in this modernization was also a liberalization that aligned the Ottomans more closely with the West, who helped bolster the Ottoman Empire against the Eastern European powers such as Austria-Hungary and Russia.

In addition to modernization and liberalization, the Ottomans turned their attention to revitalization and even growth to the South and West, favoring stabilization in the North and the East. In response to Western complaints, and somewhat concerned about other nations taking a more aggressive hand, in 1831 the Ottoman Empire launched a virtual re-conquest of the Barbary Coast, finally bringing this long errant part of the Ottoman Empire back under the laws of Istanbul. From their base in Egypt, the Ottomans were able to redeem Tripolitania, Tunis, and Algiers.

This resurgence of the Ottomans gave the Moroccans pause, but they were also concerned about allying with any other power which might see Morocco as a potential colony. Instead, Morocco turned to the United States of America, a nation comfortably far away, but who had developed a strong navy and had had good relations with Morocco since its birth. Morocco had been the first to recognize the USA, and had early on placed the nascent nation's merchant vessels under Moroccan protection. Now the United States would return the favor, placing Moroccan interests under US protection.

The Ottomans also finally tamed the wild tribes of the Arabian Peninsula, as well as securing the African coast of the Red Sea by 1880, part of their policy of guaranteeing the new route by sea through the Suez Canal for their British and French allies as well as Ottoman shipping.

Needless to say, this demonstration of renewed vitality also made their neighbors Persia, Russia, and Austria-Hungary nervous as well.

American Morocco :p

Nah, I know it's not quite that far. But damn the Ottoman Empire is back and supersized by 1881! Who doesn't like an Ottomanwank? :D

BTW in this TL just who is NOT getting wanked? The Qing and Japanese I guess...

It seems they are the only two actually. This TL is basically turning in to a World Wank!! (And even if the Qinggot the short end, Chuen China and the USC still have lots of potential for development. The USC is likely to be a world power quite early on, with its population, its land, and its western (and likely capitalist) attitude.

So as a nation it is really just Japan who got screwed.

Glen

American Morocco :p

Nah, I know it's not quite that far.

No, it's not that far. But it is that fun!:D

But damn the Ottoman Empire is back and supersized by 1881! Who doesn't like an Ottomanwank? :D

Indeed - but it is quite fun, and this Ottoman Empire is a bit different from most thus far, I believe...

Hmmm - Brazil, Australia, New Zealand, Burma, to name but a few....

Glen

It seems they are the only two actually. This TL is basically turning in to a World Wank!! (And even if the Qinggot the short end, Chuen China and the USC still have lots of potential for development. The USC is likely to be a world power quite early on, with its population, its land, and its western (and likely capitalist) attitude.

So as a nation it is really just Japan who got screwed.

I like the idea of World Wank!;)

Actually, I could point out in addition to the other examples I gave that basically all the Central American nations of OTL have been erased from history, as well.

<continues muching on opocorn>

Bravo on noticing the oft ignored ties between Morocco and America. Alas, a US protectorate of Morocco is a beautiful thing!

Now a semi-westernized Ottoman Empire on a reunification spree? Russia and Austria-Hungry will not like this... Did not see them getting North Africa back btw.

Glen

<continues muching on opocorn>

Need a soda with that?;)

Bravo on noticing the oft ignored ties between Morocco and America.

Yeah, I thought that was a nice one when I recalled the OTL connection - there is nothing in the early part of the timeline that would change that, but I could see with the USA looking even more benign as a partner in the region why by the mid 1800s the Moroccans might want to try to draw them in. Whether the US would go for it or not was a bit of a stretch, but with all the changes there, I figured it might be seen as something worth pursuing by the US. The US is emphasizing the trade aspects of the deal, the Moroccans the defense aspects.

Alas, a US protectorate of Morocco is a beautiful thing!

Ain't it just? It's not quite that strong of a relationship, but it's getting close! Here comes Rick's American Cafe!

Now a semi-westernized Ottoman Empire

Yep - interestingly enough all I am doing with the westernizing is enhancing the trends that actually occured OTL, with a few flourishes.

on a reunification spree? Russia and Austria-Hungry will not like this...

No, they are not - they are claiming emphatically no intent to expand or even hold strongly in Europe, but the Russians and Austro-Hungarians aren't necessarily buying that.

Did not see them getting North Africa back btw.

Hopefully due to me keeping y'all guessing and not plausibility issues. I actually think it is a reasonable progression of events in this timeline. With the change of Muhammad Ali becoming the administrative executive for the whole Ottoman Empire rather than carving a niche for his dynasty in Egypt, we see early strengthening of both the Ottoman Empire as a whole and of the Empire's hold on Egypt - not to mention I had some earlier quashing of some pesky Wahabbis in Arabia - it follows that they would want to secure their possession of the Red Sea route, but also that they would not want to see European encroachment on a new front in North Africa, which there would have been rumblings of at this time (and was actually done IOTL) unless something was done about these states. The Ottoman choice was see the Europeans on a new flank, or take back what was historically theirs. I actually find this a bit more plausible positing a healthier Ottoman regime with a good grip on Egypt than what happened OTL.

BTW, though I didn't mention it, you can guess that the Ottoman Navy is a bit more robust than OTL, at least in terms of 'brown water' navy (but some overflow into 'blue water' navy as well).

Need a soda with that?;)

I'm good for now, though you are a most gracious master of ceremonies. Nacho?

Yeah, I thought that was a nice one when I recalled the OTL connection - there is nothing in the early part of the timeline that would change that, but I could see with the USA looking even more benign as a partner in the region why by the mid 1800s the Moroccans might want to try to draw them in. Whether the US would go for it or not was a bit of a stretch, but with all the changes there, I figured it might be seen as something worth pursuing by the US. The US is emphasizing the trade aspects of the deal, the Moroccans the defense aspects.

I always found the special relationship between the two nations a tad underutilized in OTL, and theat it took it's next logical leap in the DSA TL is a very pleasant suprise.

Ain't it just? It's not quite that strong of a relationship, but it's getting close! Here comes Rick's American Cafe!

Of all the gin joints in all the world :D I would love to see how a version of Casablanca would look in this TL

Get to see a more secure and developed Morrocco that possibly flies the stars and stripes? Sign me up!

Yep - interestingly enough all I am doing with the westernizing is enhancing the trends that actually occured OTL, with a few flourishes.

I noticed, not a bit of it seems implausible!

No, they are not - they are claiming emphatically no intent to expand or even hold strongly in Europe, but the Russians and Austro-Hungarians aren't necessarily buying that.

And I imagine Greece is looking at it's stronger nieghnor a tad nerviously as well -- this TLs Balkan Wars are going to be brutal, even by region standards.

Hopefully due to me keeping y'all guessing and not plausibility issues. I actually think it is a reasonable progression of events in this timeline. With the change of Muhammad Ali becoming the administrative executive for the whole Ottoman Empire rather than carving a niche for his dynasty in Egypt, we see early strengthening of both the Ottoman Empire as a whole and of the Empire's hold on Egypt - not to mention I had some earlier quashing of some pesky Wahabbis in Arabia - it follows that they would want to secure their possession of the Red Sea route, but also that they would not want to see European encroachment on a new front in North Africa, which there would have been rumblings of at this time (and was actually done IOTL) unless something was done about these states. The Ottoman choice was see the Europeans on a new flank, or take back what was historically theirs. I actually find this a bit more plausible positing a healthier Ottoman regime with a good grip on Egypt than what happened OTL.

Don't worry, as I said it's inteirley plausible, and you've never had any issue throwing me for loops. By any chance did they wipe out the Wahabbists? Normally I'm a fan of Ottoman-screws, but I admit, I'm looking forward to seeing what you ahve in store for the Sublime Porte

BTW, though I didn't mention it, you can guess that the Ottoman Navy is a bit more robust than OTL, at least in terms of 'brown water' navy (but some overflow into 'blue water' navy as well).

They'll certainly need it with this much expanded coastline!

Glen

I'm good for now, though you are a most gracious master of ceremonies. Nacho?

Delighted.:)

I always found the special relationship between the two nations a tad underutilized in OTL, and theat it took it's next logical leap in the DSA TL is a very pleasant suprise.

Of all the gin joints in all the world :D I would love to see how a version of Casablanca would look in this TL

Get to see a more secure and developed Morrocco that possibly flies the stars and stripes? Sign me up!

Indeed. Nice to extrapolate could have beens into alternate history. And yes, Rick's ITTL would be interesting (maybe we'll have to throw in something to that effect).

Whether this will all work out well for the Moroccans is yet to be seen.

I noticed, not a bit of it seems implausible!

Good to hear!

And I imagine Greece is looking at it's stronger nieghnor a tad nerviously as well

Nervous indeed, but at least Britain as a staunch ally and the lack of aggressive moves in the Balkans are keeping them from going crazy thus far.

-- this TLs Balkan Wars are going to be brutal, even by region standards.

Time will tell...

Don't worry, as I said it's inteirley plausible, and you've never had any issue throwing me for loops.

Okey-dokey.

By any chance did they wipe out the Wahabbists?

Yep.

Normally I'm a fan of Ottoman-screws, but I admit, I'm looking forward to seeing what you ahve in store for the Sublime Porte

Nice to have a change of pace, eh?

They'll certainly need it with this much expanded coastline!

It's a sort of feedback loop in that regard - though they are also in part relying on the Entente to protect them from more blue water threats, but not entirely.

Glen

The Province of South Carolina had a long history of rebellion against the Crown. During the American Revolution, South Carolinian Rebels had fought under a crescent flag, reminiscent of the flag showing three crescents on a blue field flown during the protests of the Stamp Act. These flags served as the inspiration for both the initial Slaver flag of independent South Carolina, and thence the flag of Confederationist South Carolina when it joined the Confederation of Southern States. The flag flew until the end of the Slaver Uprising.

Confederationist South Carolina Flag.png

The Province of South Carolina had a long history of rebellion against the Crown. During the American Revolution, South Carolinian Rebels had fought under a crescent flag, reminiscent of the flag showing three crescents on a blue field flown during the protests of the Stamp Act. These flags served as the inspiration for both the initial Slaver flag of independent South Carolina, and thence the flag of Confederationist South Carolina when it joined the Confederation of Southern States. The flag flew until the end of the Slaver Uprising.

teh ev0l Carolinan Caliphate :D

Glen

A mere ten years after the reversion of Hispaniola from a Dominion to a Crown Colony, the colony was on much more solid financial and governmental footing, but while the upper classes of the island welcomed this return to stability, the people of Hispaniola were a proud one, and chafed at the idea of rule from Europe. While no one was willing to go through the roller coaster ride of full governance that had been the ill-fated Dominion of Hispaniola, the idea of federation with the surrounding Dominion of Southern America now was a much more attractive prospect. The DSA after the 1840s had enjoyed unprecedented growth and a fair amount of social stability. Therefore in 1880, Hispaniola joined as a Province of the Dominion.

Caribbean DSA 1880.png