Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

A variant flag, somewhat tongue in cheek, flown by some Chinese units late in the war after being shown old flags from the American Revolution. However, it proved surprisingly popular for years and at one point had a vocal minority calling for its adoption as the national flag of the United States of China.

Chinese Don't Tread On Me.png

And we are now the thread with the fourth largest number of replies in the Before 1900 section - thank you one and all for your supportive and thoughtful comments!

This is an excellent story and well told Glen. Your's is an inspiration as I continue w/"Course of Human Events".

Glen

This is an excellent story and well told Glen.

Thank you, Lord Grattan!

Your's is an inspiration as I continue w/"Course of Human Events".

Now THAT is high praise, indeed! I have really enjoyed your work on Course of Human Events, and to know that I have helped keep you going with that outstanding work in any way makes this work on my own doubly gratifying!

Yes, I am using too many exclamation marks, but it is justified, justified I say!:D

A variant flag, somewhat tongue in cheek, flown by some Chinese units late in the war after being shown old flags from the American Revolution. However, it proved surprisingly popular for years and at one point had a vocal minority calling for its adoption as the national flag of the United States of China.

Love it! Haha. Do the characters say don't tread on me? Or anything in particular?

Glen

The Imperial faction was able to prevent the fall of Kyoto with Dutch arms and munitions, but barely. The Dutch navy had little ability or interest in taking on the Russians, however. However, the British were willing to back the Imperial faction in return of trade concessions. In 1859, the Russians were thwarted again and again by Royal Navy ships. While the Russians had looked to the Far East as a way to some speedy victories after the relative failure of the Liberal War, they were not looking to come into direct conflict with the British Empire again. Therefore, the British and Russians essentially played a game of nerve along the coasts of Japan, seeing who would flinch first. This allowed the Imperial and Shogunate factions on land to fight it out with less foreign interference. In the end, a sort of stalemate developed, with the Tokugawa Shogun in control of Northern Japan (including the 'new' capital city of Edo and the Russian occupied island of Ezochi) and the Emperor in control of the South (including the 'old' imperial capital of Kyoto). Between the two lay the much disputed Chūbu region, especially the mountainous eastern part of the region. Eventually, the British and Russians tired of this game, and came to an agreement to split the Japanese islands between them in terms of access, with the 138th meridian as the dividing line. While neither faction fighting in Japan were pleased with this action, neither could afford to lose patronage from their erstwhile foreign allies, as this might cause the other to pull forward.

Spheres of Interest Japan.png

Glen

The Flag of the Imperial Faction in control of Southern Japan was a white field with a golden chrysanthenum, the Mon of the Emperor.

Imperial Flag.png

Glen

The Flag of the Shogunate Faction in control of Northern Japan was a black field with a golden circle filled with three hollyhock leaves, the Mon of the Tokugawa clan.

Tokugawa Flag.png

Glen

This should be interesting. With its strong cultural identity there will be pressure for reunification but that faces two potentially major problems. That one side [at least] must admit its wrong and make changes. Also that at least one of the protectors must accept a possibly loss of influence.

I think the partition line is probably a bit unlikely. Especially since I think you said its fairly rugged in that region. Would suspect more likely some provincial or geographical features would be more likely.

Steve

So a divided China and a divided Japan. Wow! You really don't see that in many TLs. And Korea is certainly happy about all this.

As Stevep mentioned I think there will be some cultural pressure into reunification at some point. Specially if both sides advance at an equal pace. However, I don't think it will come from either side admitting it was wrong but by a bloodier cause like a revolution saying denouncing both sides.

Whatever the case the future developments for this are endless. Really looking forward to see where you take it.

Glen

Glen

This should be interesting. With its strong cultural identity there will be pressure for reunification

Agreed.

but that faces two potentially major problems. That one side [at least] must admit its wrong and make changes. Also that at least one of the protectors must accept a possibly loss of influence.

Yep - pride and greed will be the two big factors that will have to be overcome or made irrelevant for a reunification to occur.

I think the partition line is probably a bit unlikely. Especially since I think you said its fairly rugged in that region. Would suspect more likely some provincial or geographical features would be more likely.

Steve

Note that that is a line drawn by Britain and Russia to demarcate where they can do business - for them this means mostly by sea, and works perfectly well. The two factions do not pay particular attention to this on land, but that line runs through the provinces that are still in dispute and which have the Japanese Alps running through them, which is the de facto division - so it's not actually bad as a rough guide, and for the ports of access it works just fine, thus what do the British and Russians care....

Glen

So a divided China and a divided Japan. Wow! You really don't see that in many TLs.

Indeed, and yet the seeds for such divisions were always there....

And Korea is certainly happy about all this.

Happy, yes - then again, they must also be wondering if they're next....

As Stevep mentioned I think there will be some cultural pressure into reunification at some point. Specially if both sides advance at an equal pace. However, I don't think it will come from either side admitting it was wrong but by a bloodier cause like a revolution saying denouncing both sides.

I think you both are right. Time will tell.

Whatever the case the future developments for this are endless. Really looking forward to see where you take it.

Glad to hear it!

With Japan balkanized if there is going to be an Asian giant in ITTL it will be China or possibly Korea (now that would be unusual...)

I did think that either Japan was going to balkanize or it would suffer the sort of warlordism that plagued China in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. To be honest being divided into two seperate states isn't the worst deal Japan could have got out of this. (The worst would have been becoming a sort of second India or a Russian India...:eek: )