Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

The ones bordering the Hudson Territory. I think it would be divided as time goes by, like what happened in Canada in OTL. But if you can get a State of Hudson somewhere, then I will applause you.

Time will tell vis-a-vie their growth.

Hmmm, a state of Hudson....interesting thought....:rolleyes:

I think he means this: will any of the northern (OTL Canadian) states have their northern borders extended further into the Hudson Territory as the years go by, and as people start settling these regions outside the existing borders and petition the states to expand so as to include their regions? Or are the northern borders for these states permanent?

Could go either way at this point....time will tell, as always....

This was a fairly common occurrence in the USAO v2 thread, and I'd be curious to learn if this happens here as well.

Why did it occur in USAO-v2?

IOTL as well as ITTL, there is probably going to be a practical limit as to how far north most "civilized" people are going to want to reside in the Hudson Territory. This may mean that most the Hudson territory remains a sparsely-populated territory, while the states only go so far northward. I don't know if it makes sense to grow them all the way up to the 60th Parallel, as the OTL Canadian provinces did over time.

You have some good points there.

Glen

The next state to enter the union was the state of Colorado. Taking the name of its parent territory, Colorado was formed on a foundation of gold. The gold rush to Colorado in the 1860s built a new population in the eastern half of the old Colorado territory rapidly, enough to warrant entry as a new state in 1872. To the east the state shared its border with Washington. To the north it retained the old territorial border of the 40th parallel north. It's southern boundary was the international border at 36-30 with the Dominion of Southern America. It's western border started with the Green River where it crossed the 40th parallel, following it down to it's merger with the Colorado River, and briefly follows the Colorado until it crosses the 110th Meridian, which the border follows to it's terminus at the DSA border. The remaining lands of the old Colorado territory were named the Schulze Territory, after President John Andrew Shulze who had acquired the territory from Texas.

DSA US Colorado Shulze.png

Last edited:
In this timeline is the DSA a united country and going into the future do you think that will become necessary at some point?

The next state to enter the union was the state of Colorado. Taking the name of its parent territory, Colorado was formed on a foundation of gold. The gold rush to Colorado in the 1860s built a new population in the eastern half of the old Colorado territory rapidly, enough to warrant entry as a new state in 1872. To the east the state shared its border with Washington. To the north it retained the old territorial border of the 40th parallel north. It's southern boundary was the international border at 36-30 with the Dominion of Southern America. It's western border started with the Green River where it crossed the 40th parallel, following it down to it's merger with the Colorado River, and briefly follows the Colorado until it crosses the 110th Meridian, which the border follows to it's terminus at the DSA border. The remaining lands of the old Colorado territory were named the Schulze Territory, after President John Andrew Schulze who had acquired the territory from Texas.

Whoohoo! Mostly OTL Colorado!

This region is conoing to be DRASTICALLY different I can see... No Nevada, Utah, Vegas, Or Mormons!

Glen

Whoohoo! Mostly OTL Colorado!

Yes - odd how that worked out. It's shifted down and west, but Colorado is somewhat recognizable.

This region is conoing to be DRASTICALLY different I can see... No Nevada, Utah, Vegas, Or Mormons!

No Nevada - check.
No Vegas - well, remains to be seen if an analogue arises somewhere...
No Mormons - check (sorry to any of my LDS readers).

I notice you didn't say no Utah ;)

An idea I had... perhaps for the Utah analogue, instead of going the cliche route of having some strange religion settle the salt lake region, why not have it settled by black pioneiers?

I notice you didn't say no Utah ;)

An idea I had... perhaps for the Utah analogue, instead of going the cliche route of having some strange religion settle the salt lake region, why not have it settled by black pioneiers?

Because strange religions are fun and allow for more creativity.

Glen

For the next week, I will probably only have limited time and access to the internet, so don't expect updates (though some may show up, nonetheless). I will try to get on enough to answer comments and questions, however.

Glen

Errata - note that the name of the President should be John Andrew Shulze, not Schulze - too much work to change here, but it has been changed in the official timeline.

I notice that Pathfinder Reservoir is on the map of Adams Territory, despite being man-made and not existing this early. Perhaps we could see a state made out of southern Adams Territory (the area north of Colorado between Niobrara and Jefferson, and perhaps some of the area north of Niobrara - the Cheyenne & Missouri & Belle Fourche Rivers & a line of latitude) called Pathfinder? Or if you want to name it after a river, Cheyenne (this state would be a Wyoming + South Dakota analogue) or Belle Fourche could be good names. Or you could name it after a President.

Time will tell vis-a-vie their growth.

Hmmm, a state of Hudson....interesting thought....:rolleyes:
There's a REASON the population density there OTL is a low as it is. Sure there's SOME mining, but you really can't do any significant agriculture and most of the food has to be imported.

One other thing I just thought about is about Quebec. As it is it is a huge state that I think will become huge in population as well with there being an incentive and impetus to link the Hudson and St. Lawrence Rivers, will there ever be thought of splitting the state into something like East and West Quebec, especially since there is the huge amount of territory up north that might never have enough population but the states might want to incorporate? Will there ever be splitting of other states?

Short answer: no.
longer answer: no way.

Seriously. Quebec iTTL has less land area than iOTL, and it really isn't terribly wonderful agricultural land. Sure, some is, but it's (edit: mostly) a pretty thin strip along the St. Laurence.

IOTL, Quebec's population is less than half New York State's, and there is no serious effort to split NY.

ITTL, no way Quebec's population can match OTL's NY, so why split it?