Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Thanks, Steve - and yes, we are proud of our tax-aversive heritage!

Especially those of us of Irish stock! This weekend is the one time in modern society when it's completely unquestioned to throw a big ole middle finger to mother England.

Looking forward to your return, Glen. Have a good holiday!

Glen

Especially those of us of Irish stock! This weekend is the one time in modern society when it's completely unquestioned to throw a big ole middle finger to mother England.

Thanks, I think....;)

TheInfiniteApe

It's a pity some characters never grow out of nappies. :(

Steve

Glen

The flag of the state of Wabash, featuring the colors of the Union and that renowned symbol of the West, the bison.

Flag of Wabash.png

Oh, come on. It was only a wee patriotic joke. :D

Otherwise, great flag, Glen!

TheInfiniteApe

Sorry, I may have mis-read it. Just get rather tired at times of various groups who like to hate for the sake of it, regardless of the facts. Especially since in recent years it has cost a lot of lives.

Apologies for over-reacting.:eek: Its just the relentless bigotry and hatred you run into occasionally tends to be rather wearing.:(

Steve

Glen

The story of longitude is a long and convoluted one. While latitutde has a natural prime parallel at the equator, longitude has no natural prime meridian. For the first half of the 19th century, many nations used a line running though their own capitals as their nation's 'prime' meridian.

By 1869, scientists and navigators insisted on a convention to create an international prime meridian. Three camps emerged early on in the debate, those who favored Paris, those who favored Greenwich Observatory in London, and those who favored a neutral line out in the mid-Atlantic.

Eventually, the Greenwich advocates won out, due to two factors. The first and most compelling was the consideration that the majority of the naval vessels in the world already were using Greenwich as their prime meridian, due to the naval dominance of Great Britain. The second was the support the Americans threw to the Greenwich option as soon as it became clear that a US Prime Meridian would not be viable - but that the American Federal District's (and New York City's) meridian was essentially 74 degrees from that of Greenwich. While the numbering of the meridians used in many cases as state borders in the USA would change with the adoption of the Greenwich Prime Meridian, they would still remain as major meridians in the Greenwich system.

dict-primemeridian.jpg

TheInfiniteApe

Sorry, I may have mis-read it. Just get rather tired at times of various groups who like to hate for the sake of it, regardless of the facts. Especially since in recent years it has cost a lot of lives.

Apologies for over-reacting.:eek: Its just the relentless bigotry and hatred you run into occasionally tends to be rather wearing.:(

Steve

You're exactly right. No harm no foul I say.

And I'm actually rather Anglophile, tbh... except on the Fourth of July of course. :p

I haven't quite tackled reading this TL in its entirety yet, but like any child with less than 200 posts to his name I looked at the maps to catch up and then read the newer installments. Brilliant work, Glen! I promise my comments will be more substantial once I've read everything in full.

Glen

I haven't quite tackled reading this TL in its entirety yet, but like any child with less than 200 posts to his name I looked at the maps to catch up and then read the newer installments. Brilliant work, Glen! I promise my comments will be more substantial once I've read everything in full.

Hey, everyone has to start somewhere, somehow....I appreciate your patronage nonetheless!:D