Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

corn growth in the US

AG_Corn_All.gif

Glen

I think we may have discussed this earlier,

Don't know that we did...

but a British North Island and a French South Island would be very interesting for all sorts of reasons.

I would think that the French would be able to settle the SI in a similar manner to OTL. There is no good economic reason for large scale importation of plantation labour that would end up in a large, racial underclass in the SI. Then as per OTL, the SI's economic development prospects are not particularly great, so what would happen long term, to a marginal French settlement on the other side of the world is unknown. You could see a slow trickle of French settlers to the NI, French West Australia, British Australia etc, not unlike the migrations from Quebec to the US in OTL

Fair points, one and all - at least until they start filming the French Xena there.;)

In the NI, I would suspect that the British would probably end up with some sort of protectorate over the Maori that shaped them into some sort of unified entity, with low scale, slow British settlement in some large urban areas. I don't see there to be an economic case for the British or an early colonial government to bother with large scale land wars to create room for mass settlement. That does not mean to say it wouldn't happen, but you would need another driver, perhaps rivarly with the French South Island?

And in what way do you see this differring from OTL?

Don't know that we did...

Fair points, one and all - at least until they start filming the French Xena there.;)

And in what way do you see this differring from OTL?

Well, if we look at the OTL settlement of the NI, there were several small British urban settlements scattered around the island, on good, defensible harbours by 1840. Usually though, they did not have much of a hinterland, as local Maori were already there and in control of the areas. The growth of the hinterlands and agricultural settlement took a lot of long effort by the Imperial and Settler governments, along with a long series of wars with the various Maori tribes who usually occupied in force the good lands. It wasn't really until the 1870s-80s that Settlers really had definitively taken the prime agricultural lands of the NI and broken the back of the Maori resistance and economy.

All the time this happened the Imperial and Settler governments were supported by the South Island, which was both a safe base for expansion and also full of Settlers keen to get their hands upon new prospects in the North.

In your timeline, the SI is French, so the local pressure for settlement of the NI is going to have to come from British Australia and elsewhere. This will cost more and be a harder effort. Also, in your timeline Britain has the DSA as a loyal destination for settlement, which may suck off a lot of the effort that may have gone to OTL Australasia.

On the other hand, despite epic Maori resistance, they are going to suffer substantial demographic collapse with or without British settlement. So the British may be tempted to try and settle all the same.

Also, given that OTL NZ was being developed and settled heavily right up until the 20th century, at the end of a long sea journey, it could be that a loyal British DSA, with intercontinental railway to the West Coast of NA, will be a better conduit for trade and settlement of the Pacific. I am no sailor or logistician, but it could be that the British presence in the Pacific could be quite different with this ATL capacity

Also, given that OTL NZ was being developed and settled heavily right up until the 20th century, at the end of a long sea journey, it could be that a loyal British DSA, with intercontinental railway to the West Coast of NA, will be a better conduit for trade and settlement of the Pacific. I am no sailor or logistician, but it could be that the British presence in the Pacific could be quite different with this ATL capacity

Julius Vogel, Glen

This raises an interesting point. Partly will depend on how important the DSA is to Britain politically and economically. I suspect the eastern route via India will still be the primary one for Britain as it goes via India, which will be very important and I'm presuming Britain also has [or will have] the Cape and a Suez Canal to increase the importance of this area.

However if the DSA is very important the western route could also be important. Furthermore, once a railway crosses the continent, two other factors come into play. This could give a very direct route to China, another huge market. Furthermore N Zealand and Australia could attract a number of settlers from the DSA as well as Britain. Especially given the western DSA is pretty barren for settlement and doubly so without water from further north as OTL.

This sets up some interesting potential influences in parts of Britain's 'eastern' possessions, especially probably Australia. If you get settlers from a more racially tolerant DSA, let alone if their from the Indian or black communities, that could affect the general poor treatment the aboriginal community got from white settlers OTL.

If there is also settlement from DSA some could go to British S Africa, again with interesting impacts. Might there also be some elements from the DSA blacks and their friends pushing greater British 'colonisation' of Africa to speed the end of slavery, bring 'civilisation' and order to the continent. Or the DSA blacks might be as abusive to the locals as many of the white settlers.

Overall we could see the existence of a multi-racial DSA start to have significant impact on the wider world's development.

Steve

Glen

Well, if we look at the OTL settlement of the NI, there were several small British urban settlements scattered around the island, on good, defensible harbours by 1840. Usually though, they did not have much of a hinterland, as local Maori were already there and in control of the areas. The growth of the hinterlands and agricultural settlement took a lot of long effort by the Imperial and Settler governments, along with a long series of wars with the various Maori tribes who usually occupied in force the good lands. It wasn't really until the 1870s-80s that Settlers really had definitively taken the prime agricultural lands of the NI and broken the back of the Maori resistance and economy.

All the time this happened the Imperial and Settler governments were supported by the South Island, which was both a safe base for expansion and also full of Settlers keen to get their hands upon new prospects in the North.

In your timeline, the SI is French, so the local pressure for settlement of the NI is going to have to come from British Australia and elsewhere. This will cost more and be a harder effort. Also, in your timeline Britain has the DSA as a loyal destination for settlement, which may suck off a lot of the effort that may have gone to OTL Australasia.

On the other hand, despite epic Maori resistance, they are going to suffer substantial demographic collapse with or without British settlement. So the British may be tempted to try and settle all the same.

Thank you for this information and analysis, Julius. I think you are right that the settlement patterns and relations on the North Island are likely to be different ITTL with the South Island in French possession.

Glen

The State of Kentucky chose as its flag a more simple design (which would become a trend for many states). Several elements of the flag incorporate iconic symbols of Kentucky such as the Blue Ridge Mountains and Cumberland Gap (represented by the two triangular fields in the lower half of the flag meeting in a notch), Kentucky's northern border of the Ohio River (represented by the wavy blue line across the upper half of the flag), the bluegrass meadows of Kentucky in the green field in the lower center of the flag, and the western sky at sunset represented by the red upper portion of the flag. Of course, the white letters spelling out Kentucky were self-evident as to purpose.

Flag of Kentucky.png

What can I say? It's Kentucky....

That's... really Kentucky's state flag ITTL?

I have a lot of family in Kentucky and married a girl from there and I have to say... This Kentucky flag is phoned in. I'm not saying OTL's isn't (and it wasn't adopted until 1918, anyway) but this is a rare miss for you.

Everything else is great, though! Keep up the good work.

Glen

That's... really Kentucky's state flag ITTL?

I have a lot of family in Kentucky and married a girl from there and I have to say... This Kentucky flag is phoned in. I'm not saying OTL's isn't (and it wasn't adopted until 1918, anyway) but this is a rare miss for you.

Everything else is great, though! Keep up the good work.

I am sorry you did not approve - miss it might be, phoned in it is not. I worked on several different variations on the flag, and thought on balance that was going to be the best one for the trend I envisioned flags taking ITTL. This one is getting mixed reviews so I may consider a revision, but I assure you, it was not meant to be phoned in.

I am glad everything else is to your liking.

FFL? Fench Foreign Legion? Are you suggesting that there might be a British version of the Foreign Legion, or that there might be a British element to TTL's French Foreign Legion?:confused:

I meant a British version of the Foreign Legion, except in that it is much more heavy in just one foreign denomination (or even comprised entirely of one), French.

However, this line of thought assumed that Canada existed as well, and since it doesn't belong to His Majesty any longer, this idea would most likely go up in smoke, as there wouldn't be much of a change in percentage of French-primary speakers in the British Commonwealth TTL.:eek:

Glen

I meant a British version of the Foreign Legion, except in that it is much more heavy in just one foreign denomination (or even comprised entirely of one), French.

However, this line of thought assumed that Canada existed as well, and since it doesn't belong to His Majesty any longer, this idea would most likely go up in smoke, as there wouldn't be much of a change in percentage of French-primary speakers in the British Commonwealth TTL.:eek:

That would be correct - however, there are a lot more Latins....

well, I for one like this new flag, it's not my favorite flag ever I will admit. that said though it seems like a step in the right direction compared to some of the older state flags (rhode island, virginia, delaware, and new hampshire), which seem for the most part to follow to the same design philosophy as OTL.

If there is also settlement from DSA some could go to British S Africa, again with interesting impacts. Might there also be some elements from the DSA blacks and their friends pushing greater British 'colonisation' of Africa to speed the end of slavery, bring 'civilisation' and order to the continent. Or the DSA blacks might be as abusive to the locals as many of the white settlers.

Steve

given our own experiance with liberia, the american blacks that settled there were just as bad as white settlers in other parts of the continent. of course we can always hope that things turn out better here.

Last edited:
I am sorry you did not approve - miss it might be, phoned in it is not. I worked on several different variations on the flag, and thought on balance that was going to be the best one for the trend I envisioned flags taking ITTL. This one is getting mixed reviews so I may consider a revision, but I assure you, it was not meant to be phoned in.

I am glad everything else is to your liking.
IMO, when it comes to flags, take the Rule of Cool to the max :cool:
I actually like that flag (except the word Kentucky, but the state name on the flag is an American tradition and I don't know why that would change ITTL).