Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

The flag of New York also incorporated colors felt to be reflective of those worn by the future first president of the United States while featuring at its heart the seal of the state.

Flag of New York.png

Glen

Connecticut's flag was, like many other flags of the U.S. states, composed of two bars of blue with a center bar of white featuring the state's seal in the middle. Unlike other states, however, Connecticut's seal was an oblong rather than the more conventional circle.

Flag of Connecticut.png

Glen

The flag of New Hampshire was designed as a simple dark blue field with the seal of the state at it's center, depicting a ship being constructed in honor of New Hampshire's importance as a shipbuilding state during the American Revolution.

Flag of New Hampshire.png

Glen some of these flags are really cool, and even the generic state flags happen to be somehow more interesting than OTL's keep it up.

I'm curious to see the flags of states not in OTL so far we have Quebec's but Ontario's and other flags further west should be interesting

Yes, it will be interesting once oil becomes a big thing. Don't forget Britain in the equation, however.

Britain will be a big customer of course, but realistically when all you have ot do is build a pipeline to the North and with Britain able to obtain oil from the rest of its empire the DSA would probably get a much better rate of return as well as being able to swap for coal, something it doesn't have all that much of compared to the endless supplies in the PA and VA Appalachians (not to mention Wyoming and Canadian sources.

One other thing I just thought about is about Quebec. As it is it is a huge state that I think will become huge in population as well with there being an incentive and impetus to link the Hudson and St. Lawrence Rivers, will there ever be thought of splitting the state into something like East and West Quebec, especially since there is the huge amount of territory up north that might never have enough population but the states might want to incorporate? Will there ever be splitting of other states?

Glen

Glen some of these flags are really cool, and even the generic state flags happen to be somehow more interesting than OTL's keep it up.

Thank you! I try to make them a bit more interesting if I can.

I'm curious to see the flags of states not in OTL so far we have Quebec's but Ontario's and other flags further west should be interesting

TTL's Quebec and Washington are the only really new state flags thus far. I am roughly trying to work through them in the order of divergence (except for Washington, which I had a really obvious idea for so I went with it). I will start working on more divergent flags from divergent states once these near OTL ones have been exhausted, and thus we should see some newer styles and symbols.

Glen

Britain will be a big customer of course, but realistically when all you have ot do is build a pipeline to the North and with Britain able to obtain oil from the rest of its empire the DSA would probably get a much better rate of return as well as being able to swap for coal, something it doesn't have all that much of compared to the endless supplies in the PA and VA Appalachians (not to mention Wyoming and Canadian sources.

Hmmm, oil for coal....who would have thought - interestingly, that gives the DSA a strong impetus to switch their trains over to oil, doesn't it?:D

I think the DSA will manage to find both markets active for their oil.

One other thing I just thought about is about Quebec. As it is it is a huge state that I think will become huge in population as well with there being an incentive and impetus to link the Hudson and St. Lawrence Rivers, will there ever be thought of splitting the state into something like East and West Quebec, especially since there is the huge amount of territory up north that might never have enough population but the states might want to incorporate? Will there ever be splitting of other states?

Interesting thoughts and questions - I think I will save that one for a surprise - stay tuned and see if the states remain as they enter the union, or if they split (or even merge!) with the fullness of time....;)

Hmmm, oil for coal....who would have thought - interestingly, that gives the DSA a strong impetus to switch their trains over to oil, doesn't it?:D

I think the DSA will manage to find both markets active for their oil.

Interesting thoughts and questions - I think I will save that one for a surprise - stay tuned and see if the states remain as they enter the union, or if they split (or even merge!) with the fullness of time....;)

Isn't Quebec in the Union at the moment?

The DSA is hardly hard up for coal in any way with the reserves of the Appalachians, Ozarks, the Southwest and Texas. Sure its not the USAs reserves but those are massively excess to capacity anyway, the DSA has more internal stocks than OTL Germany does.

Plus this is the point when Britain is shipping coal by sea globally at a profit, it can easily sell to the DSA.

Glen

The DSA is hardly hard up for coal in any way with the reserves of the Appalachians, Ozarks, the Southwest and Texas. Sure its not the USAs reserves but those are massively excess to capacity anyway, the DSA has more internal stocks than OTL Germany does.

Plus this is the point when Britain is shipping coal by sea globally at a profit, it can easily sell to the DSA.

That's an excellent counterpoint, Nugax - so maybe it will be more the USA trading water for oil from the DSA....

I don't really think so. Why would Quebec want to split? IOTL, they're very eager to keep the north for all its hydroelectric resources. Remember that the US Constitution bans splitting or merging states without their consent. (Unless it's different iTTL, but I don't see why it would be; weren't the states even more eager to keep local control of their own affairs?)

Glen

I don't really think so. Why would Quebec want to split? IOTL, they're very eager to keep the north for all its hydroelectric resources. Remember that the US Constitution bans splitting or merging states without their consent. (Unless it's different iTTL, but I don't see why it would be; weren't the states even more eager to keep local control of their own affairs?)
It would indeed have to be with their consent, barring something drastic changing - but the future's not ours to know....;)

Glen

The flag of the state of Maine was a simple affair, showing its roots as a part of Massachussetts by the prominant placement of the pine tree of New England at its center on a blue field. A simple red banner beneath the flag emblazoned with "Maine" completed the flag.

Flag of Maine.png