Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

The State of Vermont adopted the flag of the Green Mountain Boys as its standard. The green field, of course, was related to the name of the Green Mountain Boys and the state itself. The blue canton with twelve stars (for the original twelve colonies of the American Revolution) placed in a more naturalistic arrangement was inspired by the nascent US flag.

500px-Flag_of_Vermont.png

Glen

The Flag of the State of Rhode Island evolved over time, but in essence remained the same. It featured on a blue background the Rhode Island symbol of the golden anchor as well as the motto of Rhode Island, "Hope."

Flag_of_Rhode_Island.png

It'll be interesting to see how water is managed out west, with many of the major rivers bisected between the two nations I can see major friction popping up if the DSA starts trying to develop the American So. West while the USA is likewise developing its territory or the region just lies fallow since neither side is willing to budge. I certainly can't see California agreeing to build huge aqueducts into Albion at the expense of its own agriculture. I can also see the Colorado and tributaries becoming huge sticking points as I can't see the US leaving such an important river to waste and if they create something similar to the Glen Canyon Dam that's gonna dash a lot of development hopes for the DSA.

It'll be interesting to see how water is managed out west, with many of the major rivers bisected between the two nations I can see major friction popping up if the DSA starts trying to develop the American So. West while the USA is likewise developing its territory or the region just lies fallow since neither side is willing to budge. I certainly can't see California agreeing to build huge aqueducts into Albion at the expense of its own agriculture. I can also see the Colorado and tributaries becoming huge sticking points as I can't see the US leaving such an important river to waste and if they create something similar to the Glen Canyon Dam that's gonna dash a lot of development hopes for the DSA.

lloyd007

Good point. There is probably going to be a lot of clashes there as the south will need water but be dependent on supplies that the north will have first access to. Could be a lot less development of the Dominion west as the US SW has done OTL with the very large water demands required.

Steve

Glen

Glen

That seems a bit strange, that they would have a flag relating to the colonial period. Is that something OTL?

Steve

:) As a matter of fact, it is. This flag was used for Maryland as far as I can tell IOTL up to the OTL American Civil War, when pro-secessionists started using a different flag (also related to Lord Baltimore, though!), and after the hostilities they basically merged the two flags to give us the OTL Maryland flag.

Just goes to show, reality is sometimes stranger than fiction.

Glen

lloyd007

Good point. There is probably going to be a lot of clashes there as the south will need water but be dependent on supplies that the north will have first access to. Could be a lot less development of the Dominion west as the US SW has done OTL with the very large water demands required.

Steve

These points about water are important and we will have to keep them in mind when we get closer to that stage of development ITTL.

Glen

The flag of the State of Nova Scotia is inspired by the Nova Scotian Coat of Arms, one of the earliest ever granted in North America. The flag basically is the interior of the coat of arms.
500px-Flag_of_Nova_Scotia.svg.png

Glen

Designs proffered for the flag of the State of Quebec were rather contentious in the beginning of the 19th century. While many Quebeckers were of French heritage, there were the old guard descendants of colonists, who tended to be more politically conservative, and then there were the new wave of émigrés and their children who were much more radical. Whereas the traditional Quebecker looked back to the Ancien Régime with nostagia, for the émigrés (at least the latter waves) it was Revolutionary France that they held to their hearts. In the end (probably somewhat facilitated by the reconciliation brought about by the stable reign of Louis Napoleon I), a compromise was reached on a flag design, essentially taking the American Flag, a symbol of revolution, and placing in the blue canton the Fleur-de-lis of France.

Flag of Quebec.png

:) As a matter of fact, it is. This flag was used for Maryland as far as I can tell IOTL up to the OTL American Civil War, when pro-secessionists started using a different flag (also related to Lord Baltimore, though!), and after the hostilities they basically merged the two flags to give us the OTL Maryland flag.

Just goes to show, reality is sometimes stranger than fiction.

Yup no Crossland Cross on this one.

For that matter I hope Newfoundland's flag does have some iconography reflecting the Maryland flag given the shared history bewteen the two (Calvert the First was given land in Newfoundland before getting Maryland.

As apart of my internship in the Maryland State Office of International Affairs I had to dig up some historya nd research about the relationship for the Secretray of State.

lloyd007

Steve

Yup... It very well could be that the DSA doesn't even try to develop a lot of that land as it is wasteland/desert with no water supply and 'of course' the USA would use its major rivers to supply water to its better land... Pheonix, LA, Tuscon, San Diego, Las Vegas and the like being big, prosperous cities will probably be a 'desert mirage' and 'pipe dreams' that the DSA wouldn't bother with unless there was some kind of joint project.

The Oil relationship will be likewise interesting. The USA will be the major customer for the DSA's massive oil reserves early in the century but things will be interesting when the USA figures out it has the 'Alberta' tar sands and North Shore of Alaska and the DSA's easy access oil reseves become depleted.

Glen

Yup no Crossland Cross on this one.

For that matter I hope Newfoundland's flag does have some iconography reflecting the Maryland flag given the shared history bewteen the two (Calvert the First was given land in Newfoundland before getting Maryland.

As apart of my internship in the Maryland State Office of International Affairs I had to dig up some historya nd research about the relationship for the Secretray of State.

Nice one, Malta - I will have to see what I can do about Newfoundland - I too was aware of the relationship, but it may be too tenuous for Newfoundland to base their flag on - we'll see.

Glen

Yup... It very well could be that the DSA doesn't even try to develop a lot of that land as it is wasteland/desert with no water supply and 'of course' the USA would use its major rivers to supply water to its better land... Pheonix, LA, Tuscon, San Diego, Las Vegas and the like being big, prosperous cities will probably be a 'desert mirage' and 'pipe dreams' that the DSA wouldn't bother with

A good point, and quite possible - time will tell.

unless there was some kind of joint project.

That, too, is quite possible, given the right incentives - as before, time will tell.

The Oil relationship will be likewise interesting. The USA will be the major customer for the DSA's massive oil reserves early in the century but things will be interesting when the USA figures out it has the 'Alberta' tar sands and North Shore of Alaska and the DSA's easy access oil reseves become depleted.

Yes, it will be interesting once oil becomes a big thing. Don't forget Britain in the equation, however.

Glen

The Flag of Virginia was essentially the Great Seal of Virginia, established during the Revolution, placed on a blue field. However, there would be several variations on the way the seal was depicted until this version was finalized in time for the nation's centennial.

Flag of Virginia.png

Glen

The flag of Delaware, as so many other flags of the original states, contained at its center the seal of the state. In addition to this, the flag had a buff roundel in the center on a field of blue, the colors of which were inspired by the uniform of General Washington. Over time, these colors changed slightly in tone to give the final colors of the state flag of today.

Flag of Delaware.png

Glen

The flag of New Jersey incoporated the Great Seal of New Jersey, and the colors of the Continental Line Regiment of New Jersey, buff and 'Jersey' blue.

Flag of New Jersey.png