Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Will it be something like Canada's? two colors and a simple design in the middle. Or like Australia's and New Zealand's keeping the Union Jack?

well....initially at least I'm thinking like Down Under. Later, who knows?;)

Canada's original flag wasn't the maple leaf; it was a red ensign with a coat of arms. See link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Canada-1868-Red.svg. They changed the arms in 1921. And this flag wasn't a de jure national flag.

The maple leaf was adopted in 1964, as the de jure national flag.

Glen

Excellent. TTL's KKK gets the treatment they deserve.:D:D

Steve

ts
In the aftermath of the Southern Civil War, the back of the independence movement in British Southern America had been broken. There Slaver Planters who had sided against the Crown were, by and large, ruined financially, and their loose coalition of anti-indian, pro-independence, and pro-annexationists (US) shattered in the wake of defeat by the British military and Loyalist bands (including their armed blacks and allied indians of the civilized tribes). For the first few years after the war, many former Confederationists were simply too stunned to do much. By the time the sting of defeat had diminished, many former Confederationists were more interested in regaining their position in the new Dominion, but a few diehards rallied for a time. Disgruntled Southerners, many of them veterans of the Confederationist army, formed small groups who mostly vented their gall against more prosperous blacks and indians by attacking them under cover of night and wearing masks. The most vocal and vicious of these groups was the Scarlet League (perhaps a somewhat ironic name, given the fame of the Sable League). The Scarlet League used ambushes, bombings, and lynchings to strike terror into the hearts of non-whites in the Dominion. Their cowardly attacks rarely targeted white Loyalists, who were ascendant in the Dominion. However, this forebearance did not save the members of the Scarlet League and other secret groups of their ilk from reaping the wrath of Loyalists, many of whom formed Loyalist Leagues. The Loyalist Leagues would march through the towns and cities of the South, sometimes with members of the Scarlet League who had been captured in the act (either by sheriffs, constables, Loyalist League patrollers, or even black and indian self-defense units) tarred and feathered, and then either run out of town or, in the most egregious cases, themselves in turn lynched by their captors. By the 1850s, the last of the Scarlet League leaders had been captured, killed, or fled the country, though occasional lone wolf attackers would raise their ugly visage under the banner of the defunct Scarlet League.
250px-Huck_Finn_Travelling_by_Rail.jpg

Glen

Glen

Excellent. TTL's KKK gets the treatment they deserve.:D:D

Steve

Yes. With a large, regionally indigenous, and agressive Loyalist presence, they are terrorists and traitors at best and never gain real power. Just an ugly residue from the war...

Glen

I never ever thought I would ever say this, ever. In a million years...

...but...

I sure hope the South rises again!

Funny. Hard to say how much Confederationist nostalgia will be able to take root, given the ever vigilant presence of the Loyalists. Probably not much, though respect for the war heroes and dead of both sides, as well as some healthy re-enactment societies is more likely ITTL.

Funny. Hard to say how much Confederationist nostalgia will be able to take root, given the ever vigilant presence of the Loyalists. Probably not much, though respect for the war heroes and dead of both sides, as well as some healthy re-enactment societies is more likely ITTL.

I guess what I mean is that I'm an Annexationist. ;)

Ah, you seek the reunion of the former British Colonies of North America under the aegis of the USA?

Or the other way around. Either one. Preferably the first of course. I wonder if this is plausible during a later conflict or perhaps peacefully in sort of a North American E.U. type deal much later down the road once The Dominion is essentially self ruled and British in name only (if that's how it goes...)

Also, a question. It appears that Mexico is much better off now as a Republic, but will there be anything resembling a French Intervention down the line as a result of some nation shattering insurgency?

I'm kind of a big Max fan...

Yes. With a large, regionally indigenous, and agressive Loyalist presence, they are terrorists and traitors at best and never gain real power. Just an ugly residue from the war...

That and I doubt that the Crown would permit them to expand and cause more problems, lest the Empire wished to be perceived as "weak" in the international community for having trouble with a bunch of lowly extremists.

Glen

Or the other way around.

:eek:

Either one. Preferably the first of course. I wonder if this is plausible during a later conflict or perhaps peacefully in sort of a North American E.U. type deal much later down the road once The Dominion is essentially self ruled and British in name only (if that's how it goes...)

Ah, the ATL NAU eh?;)

Also, a question. It appears that Mexico is much better off now as a Republic, but will there be anything resembling a French Intervention down the line as a result of some nation shattering insurgency?

I'm kind of a big Max fan...

Big Max pretty much butterflied - and only time will tell the fate of the Latin Nations of the Western Hemisphere.

Glen

That and I doubt that the Crown would permit them to expand and cause more problems, lest the Empire wished to be perceived as "weak" in the international community for having trouble with a bunch of lowly extremists.

Yes, that thought did occur, though more that I think the British public wouldn't stand for it as opposed to international opinion - then again, they let a lot slide in South Africa OTL, so who knows?

Glen

DSA State Flag Collection

The flag of the State of Maryland has flown since colonial times, and is simply a flag adaptation of the Calvert family Coat of Arms of Lord Baltimore.

lordbaltimore.gif

Glen

The State of Massachussetts for the first century after the American revolution adopted the naval "Pine Tree Flag" as it's state flag. By the approach of the nation's Centennial, however, there were some moves in the state to replace it with another design.
500px-An_Appeal_to_Heaven_Flag.svg.png

Glen

The Flag of Pennsylvania was a simple affair, featuring the Commonweath's Great Seal in the center of a white field, with blue bars to either side (some earlier versions had either a white field or blue field).

Flag of Pennsylvania.png

Glen

The Flag of the State of Washington adopted the Coat of Arms of the Washington family for its flag, placed on a blue field so as to incorporate all the colors of the national flag.

Flag of Washington.png